First play through impressions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lagoon
  3. First play through impressions

User Info: Roundcat88

Roundcat88
4 years ago#1
I just got around to playing and beating Lagoon. Its not bad for an early Super nintendo RPG; I actually had a lot of fun with it despite the fact that your sword's length is extremely short, which makes combat a little difficult to get used to. I don't think the game suffers from it too much, in fact except for a few bosses, most of the enemy's AI and method of attack is designed around the fact that you have limited attack range. I kept think if my sword was a few pixels longer, this game probably would've been too easy, so I guess the designers knew somewhat of what they were doing. You're essentially forced to come up with a strategy to fight each enemy. I find standing still and waiting to attack works on slow enemies that move towards you, running while using your shield and attacking works well on random moving enemies, and magic works best on enemies with ranged attacks, or that are faster than you. I just kinda wished the bosses were designed with this in mind, because some of them were way too easy, and some were insanely hard and none of them seem to have a strategy other than find the weak point and mash B like hell. Doesn't help that you can't use magic during bosses. If the combat was tweaked a little, and if the bosses were designed differently, this would've been a far better game. Still even with it's flaws the game stands well enough on its own.

Whether the resemblance was intentional or not, this game reminded me heavily of the Ys games. Everything from the gameplay to the soundtrack was similar to Ys, and it even has anime cut scenes like some of the Ys game do. It might have something to do with the fact that both were originally made for Japanese computers before being ported to home consoles, and its easy to tell due to the fact that Lagoon doesn't take much advantage of the Super Nintendo's hardware, other than it being 16 bit. The graphics actually look like something from the Turbografx 16, and even looks a little bit like Neotopia. As a port of a computer RPG, I've seen worse, like Drakkhen for instance, but at least Drakkhen made more use of the Super Nintendo's graphics and sound engine than Lagoon. Still Lagoon is the far superior port, and is probably another good example of gameplay over graphics.

I guess my final thoughts on lagoon are this game is not for everyone. If you're a fan of Ys, Neotopia, or other early action RPGs then this is probably worth a playthrough. Its definitely not too long, and would probably take no more than a day to beat it. If you lack patience for old RPG tropes, then this game probably not for you.
  1. Boards
  2. Lagoon
  3. First play through impressions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived