Lagoon: Old School in the 21st Century

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lagoon
  3. Lagoon: Old School in the 21st Century

User Info: Golden_Torizo

Golden_Torizo
2 years ago#1
I was a bit loath to play this game as I thought it was about the Shields/Atkins movie. However, think G_T, that was "The Blue Lagoon." Oh yeah!!!

Anyway, so yeah, I'm giving this a shot. It got a scolding from players back in the day, but it's best to make up your own mind. The best way to do that. Play it!

So far, I'm more than 50% for it. But i'm only in the 2nd cave/town.

My great minus so far of the game. That short sword. I'm using an Easy Bake tool for two towns now. HEEEEEELP!!!

If you care to relive your past by playing along, jump right in. If you'd rather just lurk... good to have you.

Thank you to skater43 for jumping back in with me on a game. So good to have a traveling partner. :)

I know you all got over your hUMps today. YaY!!!
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

User Info: skater43

skater43
2 years ago#2
Happy to be on board (don't worry, gm, I'm still going to finish SoM, this'll just give you a chance to catch up to me :) ). This is one I picked up who knows how long ago, played for a half hour or so, enough to get to the first cave and decided it was decent enough to warrant my attention at some point. Some point finally arrived! :) So thank you, G_T, for holding me accountable so to speak and giving this a real shot. Not bad thus far, though I agree with the sword. Standing right next to an enemy, swinging away and hitting lots of air. But the monster wasn't hitting me, so I guess it balances out. Battle of the Inepts. The other minus G_T forgot to mention is the slowness of your tagalongs. We discussed it and agreed that in a race between molasses and your tagalong, the molasses would win under most normal conditions. If the race were in January and going uphill, however, my money would be on the tagalong (disclaimer: I'm a lousy gambler and have bad luck, so take betting advice from me at your own risk). Anyway, looking at vgmaps, I'm not seeing many dungeons/castles/areas, so I gather this game is on the short side. As such, us being at the boss of Philip's Castle means we're a significant way into the game. But we'll see what the rest has to offer.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

Golden_Torizo
2 years ago#3
Hi skater-rater, how's your Thursday going? Thrown anything back yet. Hehehe... Hmm what maps are you viewing that makes you think we are far into the game at D-2. DId you compare it to Mike's RPG maps?

Anyway, in spite of that nub of a sword which I hope to replace today as we move to eliminate the 2nd boss and move on I'm comfy with this game.

So on to Natela and his 250 EXP and 500 Gold. :D
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

skater43
2 years ago#4
Thursday went pretty good. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Forgot to throw something back. Guess I'll have to make a note to be sure to do that next week.

Well, looking at the maps listed on vgmaps, they have maps for 8 different areas, and one of those is the starting town. By finishing Philip's Castle today, we completed the third of 8 maps, or roughly 37% of the game, which I think is a significant chunk. Now, I haven't looked at the maps themselves, so don't know how involved the remaining caves/dungeons/areas/etc. are, but just straight numbers of areas, we're over a third of the way into the game.

Anyway, for those following at home, G_T and I both managed to whip Natela in mere seconds today. Think I was level 12 or so and G_T even higher, so no surprise she wasn't much of a threat. Didn't get to do much plot progressing otherwise, though we've both finished messing around in Denegul, playing errand boy for Thor and are parked at the entrance to the Dwarf Cave. I'm level 16, G_T's level 20 so we're not expecting a whole lot of monster resistance, but we shall see what the Cave holds. Already found out you can fall down the pits/gaps and die, so there's one mystery solved.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

Golden_Torizo
2 years ago#5
Wow! Thank you skater43 for trekking with me. Team work today got us through the boss of the Ice Cave Thimale. Who comes up with these things?

Have a great Solemn Sunday everybody. :)

skater43
2 years ago#6
Happy to be along for the journey. Games are more fun when you're playing with some one.

G_T's right, though. The boss of the Ice Cave was a real bugger (continuing the video game tradition of ice/water caves/dungeons sucking). Actually, the boss himself wasn't too bad, it was taking down the 6 shield generators on the side. Mr. Stubby McShortsword the hero really doesn't help matters. Neither G_T nor I could find a discernable pattern to the ice projectiles. Waiting and hoping for the right moment sort of worked, but getting in close to hit the side things meant careful maneuvering which took time which meant getting in the way of a projectile. However, you can jump over the projectiles and that ultimately proved to be the key to taking down the generators. Jumping and stabbing sort of work, but I found a bit of a glitch that made things much easier. Can't explain why the glitch happens or anything and don't know all the requirements, I just know what worked for me. Equipped the pro ring, jumped, and stabbed a generator while pushing up or down (forward basically, but dependent upon whether I was attacking the generators from the bottom or the top), killed the generator and was shunted forward rather quickly. Doing this for the next generator up (or down), I was quickly able to go from generator to generator and take them out without taking a lot of damage (pro ring helped there, too). Normally, you can't jump over the destroyed generators, so I don't know why equipping the pro ring made a difference, but it did. Once the generators are down, the boss is a pushover. Get underneath him and when he rolls down towards you, press/hold up and stab like crazy and he'll go down well before you will. And FYI, G_T discovered that the generators do regenerate over time, so taking them out quickly is important.

G_T's currently grinding in the Ice Cave, I'm doing so on Phantom Hill. Picking up a couple of levels each, then will be climbing every mountain (or at least one hill. Not to be confused with one tree hill. This hill doesn't have any trees. And not a lot of enemies so grinding is slow). Tomorrow's pretty full for me, so we'll have to see about continuing Tuesday. Think we're nearing about the 3/4 mark on this one so depending on how things shake out, we might finish this by the end of the week. Stay tuned.

Golden_Torizo
2 years ago#7
Good Morning everyone, I hope you had a marvelous weekend. I'm posting to correct something skater43 said. We wouldn't want to mislead anyone. Especially when there's not that much info out there on this game.

While playing, skater43 took out the 6 defenders first and when I tried his method, I think I ran through (or as he said was shunted) one without killing it. Of course I didn't notice until I was fired upon from that direction. Once taken out, they stay down.

Also, I have completed grinding to max levels. I did however grind in the Ice Cave. So if skater43 has maxed out also we can proceed unencumbered by killing as we march to the end game.

Hoping to have this one done by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks for lurking... have a great Pink Monday :)

skater43
2 years ago#8
Thanks G_T, for catching my mistake. Misunderstanding, but you're right, want to get the correct info out there.

As for her hope of finishing this yesterday or today, well, hope accomplished. Finished it up earlier this evening. And we thought Thimale was tough. Only because we hadn't run into Thorbird yet. That was a doozy. Most of the other bosses in between the Ice Cave and Thor were pretty straightforward and didn't last long. First form of Thor was just annoying. Doesn't do much damage per hit and can only take three hits, but getting in to land those hits was a real pain. And then you get Thorbird. Yeah, that took many attempts by both G_T and I. First off, you can jump the projectiles. Didn't think of that until after I beat him, but that should help alleviate some of the damage. Curing Ring is your friend: if you don't try to move left or right, you'll generally heal more than you take (especially if you're jumping the projectiles. I found the most success standing above the "YE" in "player" in the lower left corner, and walking up from there to attack. Don't know if that's the best spot, but it generally worked with me lined up to hit the crystal. Final boss can be a jerk and got both G_T and I got in a corner at one point and killed us, but generally, my tried and true strategy of mashing attack as fast as possible worked. And we get to see the castle returned to Earth and everyone (except the bad guys) lives happily ever after. The end. Or something to that effect.

Overall, not a bad game. Stubby sword was annoying, but you learned to work with it. And magic helps, being able to attack things at range. And the game is rather short. Think the video on SDA is an hour and a half or so, and G_T and I took it down in about a week, which I think is the fastest we've done a game. No sidequests or really other areas to explore. I didn't bother saving up for a Shiny Ball in Voloh, but I think otherwise we got all the items. But, nothing wrong with short and linear. Every so often, maybe once a year or so, I'll pull out Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and run through that again, and that's similarly linear and fairly short (though longer than Lagoon). So maybe I'll do that with this: pull it out every so often, run through it on a rainy Sunday afternoon or something. As for what's next, we're scoping out Golvellius for the SMS as our next game. Came recommended to us awhile back during one of our Wonder Boy game runs. Supposed to be similar to Zelda, which G_T and I are both big fans of, so it has promise. G_T will prolly be posting her final thoughts here the next day or so, otherwise I guess we'll see all you lurkers on the Golvellius board.

Golden_Torizo
2 years ago#9
Good Morning everyone, how's your Throwback Thursday going so far? Enjoy yours!

Well as you have read from my trekking pard skater43 another oldie bites the dust. My thought on Kemco's Lagoon. Good piece of nostalgia! A good game to play to relieve stress. This one offers enemies that are few and far between, provide little gold but more than say "WBIML" the weapons leave something to be desired. The magic seems to just be there. I never even used some of it. Not even to try it out. The game dictates a lot.

As skater43 mentioned, replay is good just to try out magic and stuff. Of course it doesn't work on bosses. LOL, one ring gotten almost at the end of the game is a stop ring which only works on the 4 or 5 enemies you may run into on the way to the final cadre of bosses.

The toughness of some bosses is there until you figure out a system for beating them. All part of the fun of vid games, right! Trial and error. :) So yeah, there was a lot of T & E at least with me. And there was another tense moment there near the very end where if I could I would have thrown my game across the room.

I did the silly thing that I didn't want to do in WBIMW. SAVING at a place that could be a danger and end my game. I saved at a place when I thought I was safe but in fact. I wasn't. Upon first noticing this I was so ticked I shut the game down and became a spoiled brat. Hours later and after a little talk with God I went back in and found a way to continue the game and so skater and I plowed forward. And a special thank you to skater43 for tolerating my attitude yesterday, and for waiting for me to complete the game together. It's good to have a travelling bud who will secure your lines for you and be there if you fall.

Anyway, I see myself replaying this... and this time I may buy that 10K object in the 2nd town when you barely have 3K gold. That's the oddest thing about this game. At some point you can't get back to that town, so you will have to grind the 10K somewhere nearby. However, I like a challenge. :) I would prolly give this, for me and my tastes, 3.85.

You play it and tell me your rating. Have a great one everybody! :)
  1. Boards
  2. Lagoon
  3. Lagoon: Old School in the 21st Century

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived