Still muh fave!

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: vicil

vicil
2 months ago#1
Even though Graces was the beginning of farm town with the qualitites and the eleth mixer, I've since played Xillia 1+2, Zesteria and Berseria. This continues to be my favourite tales game.

I love how even though you start the game with very little stamina (CC), your meter expands when you strike enemy weaknesses and dodge with perfect timing. It's rewarding to play on higher difficulties, because even though you don't gain more XP, you do gain more AP, which means you learn passive skills and Artes faster. Every title is worth seeking out because it expands your library of passive skills, thus encouraging you to thoroughly complete the game.

Every new grade of gear is something to look forward to because at the least it expands your stamina meter. Upgrading is nice, but no gameplay options are locked behind it besides the addition of extra weaknesses to your strikes, which is actually a nice incentive to upgrade rather than a daunting duty.

Notice how I haven't metioned the story yet? I just talked about gameplay? Isn't this a nice critique? But while I'm on the subject, Sophia is my musume, and Cheria is a decent waifu. I love the osananajimi story without the harem BS. It worked. I love this game.
The mini pizzas / My favourite dish, any time / Share one? Tough request.

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
2 months ago#2
I'm certainly with you on being a massive fan of the gameplay in Graces, and being glad that the upgrade systems aren't too vital even on high difficulties (though I'd kinda prefer if the complicated dualising stuff wasn't there at all, since my obsessive streak makes me feel I should really be using every mechanic even if I don't find them fun).

For me the speed and fluidity of the battle system is a big part of it. In previous Tales games you had to hold a button and have your combo grind to a halt if you wanted to switch to free-run and dodge sideways, but here quick-dodges reward good timing and you can continue comboing without starting over.

I also like how on higher difficulties every battle is a challenge. I kinda wish more RPGs let you retry fights without penalty and amped up enemy difficulty in return.

Man, thinking about this game has got me hankering to play a good action title again. If anyone hasn't tried it yet I strongly recommend an indie one called Furi. Basically a boss rush of colourful baddies with no padding in between. It's more twin-stick shooter/bullet hell than Graces, but the it has dodging and challenging boss fights and might be worth a look if the trailers look interesting.
If you're a success odds are darned good you got help, support and/or a few second chances along the way, so think long and hard before denying them to others.

User Info: vicil

vicil
2 months ago#3
Wow, Furi... I got it from PS plus, and it's very overwhelming. Twin stick shooters have always been difficult for me. I wish the game would focus more on the melee and counterstrike aspect, like the first two bosses.
The mini pizzas / My favourite dish, any time / Share one? Tough request.

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
2 months ago#4
vicil posted...
Wow, Furi... I got it from PS plus, and it's very overwhelming. Twin stick shooters have always been difficult for me. I wish the game would focus more on the melee and counterstrike aspect, like the first two bosses.

It varies, with one boss being completely melee, but a lot of enemies use a lot of bullet hell so you might not enjoy the game as much if you don't like those elements. Sorry to hear it's not clicking so far. I recommend sticking with it, maybe watching some youtube videos to get a sense of how to deal with the trickier patterns.

Quick note while I think of it: When the game says to circle the sticks for a quicktime event (e.g. to break a grab) you actually need to move the sticks rapidly up and down, not round in circles as the prompt suggests.
If you're a success odds are darned good you got help, support and/or a few second chances along the way, so think long and hard before denying them to others.

User Info: RockSauron

RockSauron
2 months ago#5
Story’s eh ok... but the combat and the ancillary systems like dualizing and title leveling and all that? Pure awesome

I remember how when I tried to get my platinum, I would need to go into the f arc and run through it just to get a few items for duaizing, then drop back into the main story. I did this over and over. Probably were smarter methods than doing so, but man do I not regret it
Hi. I rawk.

User Info: DXMG

DXMG
1 month ago#6
I still love doing Sophies charged artes.....

User Info: ClaudeLv250

ClaudeLv250
1 month ago#7
I'm playing through Xillia 1 now and can't help but think about how much better Graces' combat is. It's hard to imagine that they actually went back from that.
Once you go Claude, everything else is a Fraud.

User Info: Dark_Link2

Dark_Link2
3 weeks ago#8
The thing about this game is that a lot of the grade you get comes from gaining titles. Quite a few can only be gained through actually controlling the character yourself. If you are not the best a being a mage with Cheria, Malak, and Pascel, I would suggest just sticking to their A-artes and let the AI do the spells once you done with them.
"You have no means of escape humans.The fixation of mankind shall bring forth ruin"
https://i.imgur.com/a1hdpor.gif
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: xiahoudun_wb

xiahoudun_wb
1 week ago#9
vicil posted...
Even though Graces was the beginning of farm town with the qualitites and the eleth mixer, I've since played Xillia 1+2, Zesteria and Berseria. This continues to be my favourite tales game.

I love how even though you start the game with very little stamina (CC), your meter expands when you strike enemy weaknesses and dodge with perfect timing. It's rewarding to play on higher difficulties, because even though you don't gain more XP, you do gain more AP, which means you learn passive skills and Artes faster. Every title is worth seeking out because it expands your library of passive skills, thus encouraging you to thoroughly complete the game.

Every new grade of gear is something to look forward to because at the least it expands your stamina meter. Upgrading is nice, but no gameplay options are locked behind it besides the addition of extra weaknesses to your strikes, which is actually a nice incentive to upgrade rather than a daunting duty.

Notice how I haven't metioned the story yet? I just talked about gameplay? Isn't this a nice critique? But while I'm on the subject, Sophia is my musume, and Cheria is a decent waifu. I love the osananajimi story without the harem BS. It worked. I love this game.

I haven't gone that far compare to you, currently playing Xillia nearing the end of Jude's path and I miss Graces f already...somehow I share the same sentiment as you, the fact that I buy limited edition (EUR) and regular edition (ASIA, and yes I have both copies) don't make feel ripped off...
All good things must come to an end...
PSN id: Xiahoudun2010

User Info: XtraT

XtraT
1 week ago#10
Xillia is pretty bad, Zesty even worse. Berseria is good overall but has major issues in replayability due to how easy the game is and how bad the grade shop is (basically not worth replaying the game) unlike Graces where you can make the difficulty as hard/easy as you want, like solo character runs, no-level runs, etc.
Grand Marshal/Gladiator Priest, Lightplol.
PvE gladiator holy paladin, Lightp.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.