Strawberry Jam Chapter 1: Machine Fortress - Coming 20 August 2016

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Iji
  3. Strawberry Jam Chapter 1: Machine Fortress - Coming 20 August 2016

User Info: Kaelin

Kaelin
1 year ago#1
https://youtu.be/PLiCL1oFJ14

Thank you Daniel. <3

User Info: Ultimortal

Ultimortal
1 year ago#2
I figured everyone would have forgotten about this game by now. :p Honestly I've felt bad about not finishing it since 2012, but so many other projects at work took precedence, especially Ittle Dew 2.

Just hope people don't expect too much of chapter 1, since it's only about an hour or two long. It's meant to be the kind of game that gets more rewarding when you fully explore and replay it (provided you like it in the first place, of course).
Original freeware games and more: http://www.remar.se/daniel

Kaelin
1 year ago#3
Thank you, this is fun. I like what you did with the choir and the showdown in general. The extra dialogue and sidestory are interesting as well. As you alluded, there were some pretty slick differences with playing a second time and in a different manner.

I also loved the Hero and (as a math nerd) Super Ann Zeiger cameos. The extensive reallyjoel's dad content was definitely unexpected.

Ultimortal
1 year ago#4

If I make the later chapters, the plan is to make one issue of Zeiger per chapter. It's not until she gets the ruler blade that she starts spouting math puns at every occasion - I tried writing some into Mr. X's dialogue, but it didn't work.

As for reallyjoel's dad (in the main game), I wanted to do more with it, such as being able to scale the wall with some advanced jumping only to find out that there's some other impossible task at the top of the mountain. I think this is the first time there have been two reallyjoel's dad modes in the same game.

User Info: ninja10130

ninja10130
1 year ago#5
What? I only found 1

User Info: ZeldaMutant

ZeldaMutant
1 year ago#6
Is the Arrow Box even solvable in this chapter? I couldn't find a pattern to the results, so I tried to make an autohotkey script to input sequences, but couldn't get the game to react to it. There may be 65536 different inputs, but only 256 different outputs, so it shouldn't be that hard to hit the correct one.

Ultimortal
1 year ago#7
The arrow box, along with some of the dialogue and other references, will only make sense when I make the remaining chapters. But I won't say more than that. :p

Kaelin
1 year ago#8
ninja10130 posted...
What? I only found 1

The first is the usual holding right at the start, when selecting Jam's gender. The second is for the hand-held game you find: it has difficulty modes of "Easy," "Chaos," and (by holding right) "Really." After completing chapter 1, if you talk to a certain "pro" NPC under the right conditions, he'll effortless play the game on "Really" and probably beat your high score.

User Info: X-Calibar

X-Calibar
1 year ago#9
I figured everyone would have forgotten about this game by now. :p

I did... so imagine my luck when I checked these forums for Iji news! ;)

I really enjoyed replaying the game several times running into only two noticeable bugs so far...
If you start the game, ignore everyone and go straight for the queen; Nell shows up anyway to eavesdrop on your conversation, while we ignore her... awkward!

The other more serious problem I believe happens if you are rude to Tosca after getting the basement key and rush over to the exit leaving Tosca in the dust. Starting from the right-most side of the Factory Village.
I'm trying to remember exactly what happened, but basically I was able to go back to camp, though Jam was trying to go back to wait for Tosca. During the long cutscene Jam was near the door facing the wrong direction. Things proceeded normally after that until, before choosing a companion, I went back into the factory door and got stuck in an endless "I can't leave yet", but I also need to wait for Tosca or something. I didn't try saving and seeing if that would fix it...

Really enjoyed the whole dialogue system. Lots of text, but executed well in a platformer game. The characters wide range of expressions really added a ton too. If you do more chapters, I'd be happy to PAY for this game x) Heck, I've added Ittle Dew 2 to my list of games to get to show a little support ;)

Anyway here's some additional feedback (spoilers!):
The text system is already great, though being able to attempt to butt into on-going conversations would be rude and wonderful!
Favorite random moments... Reallyjoel's difficulty for the mini-game... (I didn't try to do that with the main game yet?!)
Ignoring Queen and seeing the Nell YELL across town dialogue xD xD xD
Tosca rescuing me with the chest... I think EVERYONE's mouth dropped to the floor when she threw it lol ... poor The King.
Surprising the adventurer... standing on the ledge when the cutscene starts with Snap... watching the spider at work... just all the many events and dialogue choices that just made the game a lot more alive. (Even if it was a guilty pleasure to try all the choices at times... xD)

I think there were only a few actions that I kind of expected a reaction but didn't get one...
One, was choosing Nell as a companion, but then going through the underground cave and entering the Factory Town from the pipe. Nell just runs up to you, but didn't say anything lol.
Two, was from taking lots of damage from the electric eel/fish in the caves and seeing if anyone noticed D:
Three, was the lack of tracking who you did or didn't talk to. For instance even though I attempted to talk to the least amount of folk in the game, dialogue still proceeded as if I had properly investigated and spoken with everyone.
Four. Kind of hoped Queen would say something about receiving the quest through Nell's yelling dialogue. xD

In any case, wonderful game so far. Strawberry Jam gives us plenty of food for thought- *gasp*
Uhh... I mean a fascinating fable of the Strawberry, Jam...

Ultimortal
1 year ago#10
X-Calibar posted...
If you start the game, ignore everyone and go straight for the queen; Nell shows up anyway to eavesdrop on your conversation, while we ignore her... awkward!

I've never had that happen before. What exactly did you do? I'll take a look through Queen's dialogue.

The other bug with Tosca should be easy to fix. Thanks!

Glad you liked all the details. I don't expect anyone to notice everything, as some things are really out there. :p
  1. Boards
  2. Iji
  3. Strawberry Jam Chapter 1: Machine Fortress - Coming 20 August 2016

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived