I For One, Don't Miss The "Resident Evil Beta" Controls

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. DmC: Devil May Cry
  3. I For One, Don't Miss The "Resident Evil Beta" Controls

User Info: Goldsickle

Goldsickle
5 years ago#1
For those who forgot (or just didn't know), Devil May Cry came from a rejected beta for a Resident Evil game.

For a lot of Resident Evil games (as well other "Survival Horror") at the time, you combat enemies by holding R1 to ready your weapon and press a face button while you're weapon is drawn to attack.

The controls then branched off from this format.
But the thing is, was it necessary for it to persist?

Even long before DmC was even announced, I'm already feeling that the controls are a little flawed and too dependent on locking-on to an enemy, while playing DMC4.

I didn't like how you're required to keep the button held down to lock-on to the enemy and how you're forced to walk while locking on.
It might have made a little more sense if it was a Resident Evil (or Dino Crisis) game but R1 is no longer the "draw weapon", since as of DMC2, you can shoot without holding down R1.
So why the forced walking?

I'm glad someone from Capcom finally realized "why did we let this drag on again..?" and did something about the "lock-on dependent" scheme.

I'm not 100% happy with the scheme they implemented here but they're going the right direction.
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".

User Info: UncleWesker

UncleWesker
5 years ago#2
The control scheme here is pretty much objectively inferior to the one used for prior games. This of course lends itself to the game being built off of a scrapped Heavenly Sword engine rather than from the ground up, which robs your argument of a lot of its credibility.
"I hate you, UncleWesker. No, really. You are the biggest douche on this board. You should go hang yourself in your basement." ~ RT102

User Info: Goldsickle

Goldsickle
5 years ago#3
UncleWesker posted...
objectively inferior

I don't see you coming up with any valid description on why they're inferior, so if there's any post with "no credibility", it would be your stupid response.
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".

User Info: UncleWesker

UncleWesker
5 years ago#4
The lack of a lock on option is inferior to having one. There's just no question about it. Being able to choose which enemy you attack through a precise lock on mechanic leads to better player control and opens up a wider variety of inputs. It doesn't take more than a brief go at the demo to understand this.
"I hate you, UncleWesker. No, really. You are the biggest douche on this board. You should go hang yourself in your basement." ~ RT102

User Info: Zekenar

Zekenar
5 years ago#5
Goldsickle posted...
For those who forgot (or just didn't know), Devil May Cry came from a rejected beta for a Resident Evil game.

For a lot of Resident Evil games (as well other "Survival Horror") at the time, you combat enemies by holding R1 to ready your weapon and press a face button while you're weapon is drawn to attack.

The controls then branched off from this format.
But the thing is, was it necessary for it to persist?

Even long before DmC was even announced, I'm already feeling that the controls are a little flawed and too dependent on locking-on to an enemy, while playing DMC4.

I didn't like how you're required to keep the button held down to lock-on to the enemy and how you're forced to walk while locking on.
It might have made a little more sense if it was a Resident Evil (or Dino Crisis) game but R1 is no longer the "draw weapon", since as of DMC2, you can shoot without holding down R1.

I'm glad someone from Capcom finally realized "why did we let this drag on again..?" and did something about the "lock-on dependent" scheme.

I'm not 100% happy with the scheme they implemented here but they're going the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEhDZN0RFjw
6/14/2013 reboot done amazingly well
1/15/2013 reboot done shamefully bad

User Info: arlovski_99

arlovski_99
5 years ago#6
Ya the new controls are so much better so tight and responsive with no lag at all. /sarcasm

User Info: Shaft228

Shaft228
5 years ago#7
Goldsickle posted...
UncleWesker posted...
objectively inferior

I don't see you coming up with any valid description on why they're inferior, so if there's any post with "no credibility", it would be your stupid response.

Well for one, no lock on button means you need two other buttons mapped for launcher and dodge, which is a waste of buttons and kills the depth of the game.

User Info: ChancreScolex

ChancreScolex
5 years ago#8
Goldsickle posted...

Hate to be the one to tell you but if you're walking a lot while being locked on then you're doing it wrong mate. There are moves specifically implemented to bridge those gaps between enemies precisely and quickly. Hell with Nero you could bring them to you but you still had your options.

No lock-on feels sloppy and leaves room for error and dropped combos because the game determines what I'm attacking and not me. They've removed a tactical element of the combat engine and people need to stop trying to defend it. Then again I've put more hours into DMC3/SE, 4, and Bayonetta than should be humanly possible so I instinctively hit R1 at the beginning of encounters.

User Info: ABadNuffDude

ABadNuffDude
5 years ago#9
Well I definitely like the less stiff jumping, everything else control wise feels like a huge step back imo though...
Official Daigo Umehara of Hentai games.

User Info: Psychochild27

Psychochild27
5 years ago#10
Goldsickle posted...
UncleWesker posted...
objectively inferior

So no ****, there I am playing Son of Sparda. I get to the part of the first fight where there's three shielded cherubs and a chainsaw guy that spawn very close together. Naturally I want to take out the cherubs so I can combo the chainsaw guy uninterrupted. In this fight I proceed to de-shield two different cherubs when I was just trying to de-shield one and drag it to me, attempting to interrupt one of their projectile bolts with gunfire ended up having Dante targeting the chainsaw guy, getting me hit by the bolt I was trying to interrupt, and when I had a cherub to my left and a chainsaw guy to my right and I tried to stinger the cherub by hitting left-left-melee, Dante proceeded to stinger forwardthe one corner on the screen that didn't house ANYTHING of interest.

Next fight, two chainsaw guys, one cherub. I try to de-shield the Cherub again, but it had gone off-screen while I was doing the input. I proceed to hover in the air panning the camera right while spamming the Demon Pull over and over because I don't have the Cherub targeted and have no idea where the Hell it is. I kill the Cherub, land on the ground next to a chainsaw guy who's ready to stab me. I hit him with two strikes from Arbiter, roll away, charge up a Drive, release and... end up having Dante lock onto the chainsaw guy halfway across the screen slightly behind the chainsaw guy (And a fountain to boot) that was trying to murder me. Some more time goes by, I juggle a chainsaw guy, hit him with Aerial Flush to knock him away and try to do a Demon Pull to drag him back, but Dante instead turns to the other Chainsaw Guy on the ground behind me who wasn't about to tolerate any of my **** as he was already in that red I'MMA GUNNA CHAINSAW YOU mode, tried to grapple him, fails, and eats a chainsaw blade.

Edit: Just now starting a new playthrough of the first stage. I hit forward forward melee to stinger towards the trigger to start the first fight. Dante stingers directly behind him at the camera.

In what world is this an improvement to a dedicated lock-on?
  1. Boards
  2. DmC: Devil May Cry
  3. I For One, Don't Miss The "Resident Evil Beta" Controls

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived