Not Understanding

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. DmC: Devil May Cry
  3. Not Understanding

User Info: Aiddon

Aiddon
4 years ago#11
when you have to make your own restrictions to make the game actually CHALLENGING then the game has failed at its job.

User Info: Psychochild27

Psychochild27
4 years ago#12
* the ability to use gunslinger, parry, and trickster at the same time

Fixed that for you.

I don't get why people claim that Parry is supposed to be an adequate replacement for Royal Guard when Parry has been a part of the DMC games from 1, 3 and 4 as its own entirely separate system. Fact of the matter is that Royal Guard was removed and we didn't get anything to actually compensate for its absence other than drawing more attention to parries.

Also, what swordmaster? Dante gains two aerial combos by default now for his angel/Rebellion weapons, but he still has far fewer moves because of the lack of a real Swordmaster style (For instance DmC Rebellion's 10 vs. DMC4 Rebellion's 14) and the demon weapons get ridiculously short-changed in its absence (Eryx's 6 vs. Gilgamesh's 11/13 (If you count Beast Uppercut's different stages as separate moves)).

User Info: Gray_Fox_Die

Gray_Fox_Die
4 years ago#13
Thing is, all moves in DmC are useful if you compare them to past DMCs...

I just replayed DMC3 and Rebellion moves feel so thrown there to fill space. Just compare the Drive between DMC3 and DmC. The Drive in DmC is so awesome in comparison. This is also true for a lot of moves.

And I prefer A LOT having all my moves and weapons always accessible. Who cares about Royal Guard cause if I use it I lose half the moves for the weapons or the abilities of Trickers.

Styles were nice back then but it's way better in DmC ,

Open your eyes !

User Info: Loshadt

Loshadt
4 years ago#14
Except that DmC has mostly useless moves. Angel weapons cause a such a pathetically small amount of damage they aren't even worth using outside of when you're literally FORCED to. So right off the bat that's two weapons that are never good. Then we have rebellion, which on the later modes also becomes useless thanks to the large number of colored and shielded enemies. So we have two weapons left. The Axe just decimates everything, but the only combo worth using are Y,Y,Y and Y,Y, pause Y. And the gloves, which are only good for charged uppercuts on Sanchez.

So there you go. Only one useful weapon, and one weapon to counter the dream runners.
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
I <3 Jesus.

Psychochild27
4 years ago#15
Gray Fox Die posted...

I just replayed DMC3 and Rebellion moves feel so thrown there to fill space. Just compare the Drive between DMC3 and DmC. The Drive in DmC is so awesome in comparison. This is also true for a lot of moves.

Compare the Drive between DMC4 and DmC. It's the same exact move. It was already improved upon and turned into a proper projectile attack that traveled in the air as opposed to the ground so I don't know what you're getting at. DMC3 has a number of redundant moves in its movelists to account for the fact that players could only equip two weapons at once, which is why all of the weapons that can Air Hike also have some sort of Stinger zoning move. If anything, compare DmC to DMC4 as they both are designed with Dante having access to every move at once.

And I prefer A LOT having all my moves and weapons always accessible. Who cares about Royal Guard cause if I use it I lose half the moves for the weapons or the abilities of Trickers.

People who have zero problems rapid switching between the two as it's second nature to them and find having a massive abundance of useful moves to draw from thrilling? If you can rapidly switch between weapons in DmC in a single combo, there's nothing stopping you from jumping in and out of Royal Guard or Trickster to other styles as the need arises as it demands the same exact input to pull off.

If you can't even do that... well then I guess it's very clear why you love this game so much.

And the gloves, which are only good for charged uppercuts on Sanchez.

The Showdown hammer knock-off in the air is actually very good at level 2 as it bounces enemies back up to Dante's default jump height which makes it the only real demon attack you can combo into in the air without having to Demon Pull to drag the enemy back to you seeing as how Drop JCs don't actually do anything.

User Info: Xtreme65

Xtreme65
4 years ago#16
Osiris I useful for air combos and when charged it actually does great damage to a multitude of enemies. and Aquila is useful for bringing enemies in and its tap tap forward is useful for covering distance and launching enemies, also when dealing with multi colored Rages I tend to throw Aquila at the blue one keeping it paused while I go deal with the red one in fact the throw move is hella useful for all kinds of crowd control, don't tell me those weapons aren't useful. I actually tend to use them more than Eryx and Arbiter because of how slow they are and Arbiter tends to send people flying before I can finish the combo so I really only use Arbiter's finisher, Launcher, and where you throw the axe. I only use the basic combo on bosses and tougher enemies that don't fly ten feet when the get hit. Eryx is useful as hell though. I love its slam and stomp attacks and its ever so satisfying when landing a fully charged move.

I do agree about Rebellion though especially when dealing with color coded enemies on higher difficulties. The only thing I tend to use is Stinger/Trillion stab and maybe its Launcher when Arbiter's is too slow to meet my immediate needs. I do tend to use it alot during the final boss though.

Point is I find myself using every weapon where I can't say the same for DMC3 because I just tend to stick with Rebellion and Cerberus, sometimes switching out Cerberus for Beowulf. Wasn't a fan of Angi and Rudra cause it was just a crappier Rebellion and I never got good at using Nevan.

Same can also be said of DMC4 though. Rebellion and Gilgamesh were great, but Lucifer was kinda meh.
When coincidence is so convenient, I prefer to call it fate.

User Info: Xtreme65

Xtreme65
4 years ago#17
Ether101 posted...
Sir_Phoenix88 posted...
Where the only main new change is that the style system is more forgiving. Is that so bad? I'm midway through my SSS-ing of Nephilim difficulty. Some of my SSS scores are pretty good. I was 52nd best on Stage 1 when I did it, now I'm 203rd. Some of my SSS's are in the 2000's in rank.

Given that you can still measure your e-peens with scoring and ranks, and you can make your own challenges to make the game harder, where is all the complaining from? It's not like DMC had a static design in the first place.

This game has less of everything. The idea that this game gives you access to everything really means nothing because there's less options to begin with.

On DmD, you can take a third off of a boss' health with a simple three hit combo that's every easy to pull off.

In DMC4 you can do the same thing with a DTed buster and DTed Real Impact. Only thing is you still had to beat the boss to a certain point but bosses were still Incredibly easy in DMC4.
When coincidence is so convenient, I prefer to call it fate.

User Info: Shengali

Shengali
4 years ago#18
Sir_Phoenix88 posted...
So looking at previous, DmC has:

* multiple weapon types

True, and while it all boils down to opinion, some of them seem rather boring. They are just...generic. The weapons of DMC had names, Devil forms (some), and backgrounds. Simply put, some of the weapons could seem as developed as the characters. On top of that, they actually experimented in an attempt at making them interesting/original. A guitar that's also a scythe? Multiple weapons in a box ala Pandora? Dual swords that connected into a double-bladed staff mid-combo? Tri-nunchaku with freezing properties? Whatever the heck Lucifer was. Could probably go on, but you probably get the point by now.

* multiple chars

Huh? Where? You use Dante through the whole thing. Unless you're talking about Vergil's Downfall (which isn't even out yet!). Even there though, he's only available in that small snippet. While they could always change their minds, it's confirmed that he isn't even playable in Bloody Palace.

* the ability to use swordmaster, gunslinger, royal guard (parry), and trickster at the same time

And each of those styles have had moves removed from them. Considering moves were already taken out for DMC4, that doesn't leave a lot... Royal Guard isn't in there. While you may parry now, there is nothing akin to release - for example.

*upgradeable abilities

Also true. However, all the upgrades are just upped damage (minus one or two moves per weapon, which is definitely nice!) or range. Previous games had only one or two moves, but the style system expanded on that and gave you an equally large move list for use with the circle button - now it just launches (or grounds), removing a bunch of combat options. Also, while not all the DMCs have had them, I really miss DT specific moves - which were mostly available via upgrade list.

Hope that helps TC. In the end it's all opinion, and they obviously vary. You don't have to understand an opinion to respect that they can differ than yours and still be valid. You seem to think DmC is better than the old ones. I can understand and respect that, but I disagree. It is a fun and good (but bad as a DMC) game on it's own though.

Psychochild27
4 years ago#19
Xtreme65 posted...
Aquila is useful for bringing enemies in and its tap tap forward is useful for covering distance and launching enemies, also when dealing with multi colored Rages I tend to throw Aquila at the blue one keeping it paused while I go deal with the red one in fact the throw move is hella useful for all kinds of crowd control, don't tell me those weapons aren't useful.

I don't even bother with Aquila's Forward-Forward Y move as the vast majority of the time, it brings Dante up in the air with a few enemies, but leaves the enemies too far underneath him to combo without switching to Osiris. At that point, I may as well just launch a baddie into the air, do a delayed Aquila combo to drag everyone in, and then air combo normally.

Same can also be said of DMC4 though. Rebellion and Gilgamesh were great, but Lucifer was kinda meh.

Lucifer if you bothered to put the time in to learn it was the single most amazing weapon in the game. That thing let you combo everything into everything once you mastered it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJaOD4FmJUA&feature=player_embedded#!

User Info: Shengali

Shengali
4 years ago#20
Gray Fox Die posted...
Who cares about Royal Guard cause if I use it I lose half the moves for the weapons or the abilities of Trickers.

Lazy. All you have to do is the SAME THING IN DmC if you want to change weapons: simply tap the D-pad.
  1. Boards
  2. DmC: Devil May Cry
  3. Not Understanding

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived