A bullet-point list of why people hate this installment of Resident Evil

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 6
  3. A bullet-point list of why people hate this installment of Resident Evil

User Info: Master of Hate

Master of Hate
5 years ago#1
I see so many mixed reviews/feelings about the game, but mostly, I wanted to try and summarize why people *probably* don't like this game.

1) The removal of upgradeable weapons for "skill points"; it's not nearly as satisfying as having a fully upgraded weapon, and isn't RE4/RE5 style.

2) The overuse of Quick-time-events is so over-saturated, that the game isn't survival horror to the zombies; it's survival to cheap, coming-out-of-nowhere deaths like ambulances, trains, exploding cards. It's more like a "Die Hard" atmosphere, than a Resident Evil atmosphere.

3) The melee attacks are too strong. There's no threat of running out of ammo because if you're not using melee attacks around 50% of the time, you're doing it wrong. It also makes no sense that roundhouse kicks are stronger than firearms and is, conceptually, a huge oversight.

4) Aside from the name, the game doesn't even feel like a Resident Evil title. As a stand-alone game, it's pretty fun, but the pacing, the combat, the level design... none of it feels like RE. Considering it's called "RE6", people came in with high expectations for it, and have felt vastly betrayed/disappointed.

5) The survival horror aspect of the game is completely gone. There's herbs everywhere, there's ammo constantly dropping. It's an action-horror game, not survival horror, and people dislike this.

6) Bad camera angles take away from the immersion, a lot.

7) Combat is much more open-ended and fluid, but still manages to feel unresponsive and "clunky". If there are melee attacks.. why can't we at least target the person with some sort of lock-on?

8) Inventory management is not even a factor anymore. Pick up EVERYTHING you see, because why not? Forgot any sort of tactical play; grab it ALL!

That, in my opinion, is a general list of why people hate this game.

That being said, I think if this was a game without the Resident Evil title, it'd be kind of fun. It's certainly a different perspective on zombies, and it doesn't quite reach Left for Dead, but it DEFINITELY doesn't reach Day Z status. I really think that people expect a certain level of quality from a title with "Resident Evil" in it, much like people expect something from a game with a Final Fantasy tag on it.

However... this just feels more like an exploratory title. As if Capcom was putting out feelers in LOTS of different directions, waiting to see what people liked, and what they didn't, and using that feedback in the inevitable evolution of their next installment of the game. I know a lot of fans want the same old RE that we've always had, and I think the last 2 installments of the RE series have made it clear that we're *NOT* going to keep the game in that play style. So the best we can hope for is that RE7 comes out feeling a lot more polished and refined than this one is... lest we see another popular franchise get ruined by innovation that no one wanted or even asked for.
http://www.own3d.tv/Cymdai2 = Smite Stream

User Info: AdvancedGamer31

AdvancedGamer31
5 years ago#2
Master of Hate posted...
I see so many mixed reviews/feelings about the game, but mostly, I wanted to try and summarize why people *probably* don't like this game.

1) The removal of upgradeable weapons for "skill points"; it's not nearly as satisfying as having a fully upgraded weapon, and isn't RE4/RE5 style.

2) The overuse of Quick-time-events is so over-saturated, that the game isn't survival horror to the zombies; it's survival to cheap, coming-out-of-nowhere deaths like ambulances, trains, exploding cards. It's more like a "Die Hard" atmosphere, than a Resident Evil atmosphere.

3) The melee attacks are too strong. There's no threat of running out of ammo because if you're not using melee attacks around 50% of the time, you're doing it wrong. It also makes no sense that roundhouse kicks are stronger than firearms and is, conceptually, a huge oversight.

4) Aside from the name, the game doesn't even feel like a Resident Evil title. As a stand-alone game, it's pretty fun, but the pacing, the combat, the level design... none of it feels like RE. Considering it's called "RE6", people came in with high expectations for it, and have felt vastly betrayed/disappointed.

5) The survival horror aspect of the game is completely gone. There's herbs everywhere, there's ammo constantly dropping. It's an action-horror game, not survival horror, and people dislike this.

6) Bad camera angles take away from the immersion, a lot.

7) Combat is much more open-ended and fluid, but still manages to feel unresponsive and "clunky". If there are melee attacks.. why can't we at least target the person with some sort of lock-on?

8) Inventory management is not even a factor anymore. Pick up EVERYTHING you see, because why not? Forgot any sort of tactical play; grab it ALL!

That, in my opinion, is a general list of why people hate this game.

That being said, I think if this was a game without the Resident Evil title, it'd be kind of fun. It's certainly a different perspective on zombies, and it doesn't quite reach Left for Dead, but it DEFINITELY doesn't reach Day Z status. I really think that people expect a certain level of quality from a title with "Resident Evil" in it, much like people expect something from a game with a Final Fantasy tag on it.

However... this just feels more like an exploratory title. As if Capcom was putting out feelers in LOTS of different directions, waiting to see what people liked, and what they didn't, and using that feedback in the inevitable evolution of their next installment of the game. I know a lot of fans want the same old RE that we've always had, and I think the last 2 installments of the RE series have made it clear that we're *NOT* going to keep the game in that play style. So the best we can hope for is that RE7 comes out feeling a lot more polished and refined than this one is... lest we see another popular franchise get ruined by innovation that no one wanted or even asked for.

All valid points that I agree with.
But no one else here will take it into consideration, watch, just watch.
They'll find some way to ignore your opinion and or insult you.
GT: AdvancedGamer31

User Info: Duh_Bad_Guy

Duh_Bad_Guy
5 years ago#3
I request sticky.
"An eye for an eye ass wipe. A toof, for a gotdamn toof." -Buffalo Soldier

User Info: Blizzard09

Blizzard09
5 years ago#4
Agree with everything but numbers 6, I half agree with.

There should been "ackward" camera moments to help make the unseen horror, but they should have been on purpose and done right rather thing being a error and making things choppy.
Mods = Kids to young for this board.

User Info: Shadowlinkex

Shadowlinkex
5 years ago#5
^ So we can't have our own opinions on what he says? What are you, in 3rd grade?

Tag for later; I have a few things to say about your points, TC. Though, I agree on some stuff. (Like the QTE abundance; they got too overconfident with it in re5 and decided every 4 secs there should be one in re6)

User Info: HolyZombieJebus

HolyZombieJebus
5 years ago#6
Nice list. Think you hit it on the head, as a resident evil game it's hard to recommend to fans but take that name away and you can have some flawed yet fun...fun. Thumbs up to you TC
WarMasterAlani posted...(The A-Team)
A bunch of no life basement dwelling virgins, who dream about what the inside of a vag1na feels like.

User Info: Zirdonis

Zirdonis
5 years ago#7
I anticipate some real zingers as responses to this topic. C'mon guys. I've got the popcorn ready and everything.
Why has there not been a remake of SOTN?

User Info: Master of Hate

Master of Hate
5 years ago#8
Blizzard09 posted...
Agree with everything but numbers 6, I half agree with.

There should been "ackward" camera moments to help make the unseen horror, but they should have been on purpose and done right rather thing being a error and making things choppy.

That's true. A lot of the old school RE's suffered from god-awful camera angles (when using the "fixed" style), but they did use them in a way that made certain hallways and corridors horrifying. I certainly enjoyed the way they did it in RE1, where you'd have to listen for the sloshing of zombie feet in order to know what was around certain corners.
http://www.own3d.tv/Cymdai2 = Smite Stream

User Info: SolidStryder

SolidStryder
5 years ago#9
I agree with everything you said, and I like this game. Honestly, RE hasn't felt like RE since 4 came out. That game turned the franchise away from survival horror and into an action game, it took me a long time to come around.

User Info: DarkD3stiny

DarkD3stiny
5 years ago#10
HolyZombieJebus posted...
Nice list. Think you hit it on the head, as a resident evil game it's hard to recommend to fans but take that name away and you can have some flawed yet fun...fun. Thumbs up to you TC

So you cant have fun with this game because its called resident evil 6? do you know how silly that sounds.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 6
  3. A bullet-point list of why people hate this installment of Resident Evil

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived