A bullet-point list of why people hate this installment of Resident Evil

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 6
  3. A bullet-point list of why people hate this installment of Resident Evil

User Info: DarkAdonis123

DarkAdonis123
5 years ago#21
AdvancedGamer31 posted...
Master of Hate posted...
I see so many mixed reviews/feelings about the game, but mostly, I wanted to try and summarize why people *probably* don't like this game.

1) The removal of upgradeable weapons for "skill points"; it's not nearly as satisfying as having a fully upgraded weapon, and isn't RE4/RE5 style.

2) The overuse of Quick-time-events is so over-saturated, that the game isn't survival horror to the zombies; it's survival to cheap, coming-out-of-nowhere deaths like ambulances, trains, exploding cards. It's more like a "Die Hard" atmosphere, than a Resident Evil atmosphere.

3) The melee attacks are too strong. There's no threat of running out of ammo because if you're not using melee attacks around 50% of the time, you're doing it wrong. It also makes no sense that roundhouse kicks are stronger than firearms and is, conceptually, a huge oversight.

4) Aside from the name, the game doesn't even feel like a Resident Evil title. As a stand-alone game, it's pretty fun, but the pacing, the combat, the level design... none of it feels like RE. Considering it's called "RE6", people came in with high expectations for it, and have felt vastly betrayed/disappointed.

5) The survival horror aspect of the game is completely gone. There's herbs everywhere, there's ammo constantly dropping. It's an action-horror game, not survival horror, and people dislike this.

6) Bad camera angles take away from the immersion, a lot.

7) Combat is much more open-ended and fluid, but still manages to feel unresponsive and "clunky". If there are melee attacks.. why can't we at least target the person with some sort of lock-on?

8) Inventory management is not even a factor anymore. Pick up EVERYTHING you see, because why not? Forgot any sort of tactical play; grab it ALL!

That, in my opinion, is a general list of why people hate this game.

That being said, I think if this was a game without the Resident Evil title, it'd be kind of fun. It's certainly a different perspective on zombies, and it doesn't quite reach Left for Dead, but it DEFINITELY doesn't reach Day Z status. I really think that people expect a certain level of quality from a title with "Resident Evil" in it, much like people expect something from a game with a Final Fantasy tag on it.

However... this just feels more like an exploratory title. As if Capcom was putting out feelers in LOTS of different directions, waiting to see what people liked, and what they didn't, and using that feedback in the inevitable evolution of their next installment of the game. I know a lot of fans want the same old RE that we've always had, and I think the last 2 installments of the RE series have made it clear that we're *NOT* going to keep the game in that play style. So the best we can hope for is that RE7 comes out feeling a lot more polished and refined than this one is... lest we see another popular franchise get ruined by innovation that no one wanted or even asked for.

All valid points that I agree with.
But no one else here will take it into consideration, watch, just watch.
They'll find some way to ignore your opinion and or insult you.

I must be rare then. I read his opinions, and the issues he has with this game dont bother me. I'm not going to insult him because I see no reason to. He has a right to his opinion.

A friend and I played through Leon's campaign in one sitting yesterday. We had a blast. So far I like RE6 and am not sorry I bought it. I'm not a blind fanboy or Capcom apologist. I just don't share his thoughts on the game. My experience thus far has been very enjoyable.
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue

User Info: OldSnakeReborn

OldSnakeReborn
5 years ago#22
Theres nothing wrong with disliking or hating this game or even saying so on these boards then moving on. Its the people who hang around this board repeating how much they hate this game over and over that are the problem especially if they are insulting people who are trying to enjoy this game. TC was very respectful and did a good post on why he dislikes re6 and I respect him for that. Thing is I dont like COD games so I dont visit COD forums, I mean why would I? it dosent make any sense to. Anyone remember the re5 boards? where people just stayed there for years hating on re5.

Well it's new, for one. And second, after spending 60$ on it, I suppose some people are upset about it. Staying on a game board is free. Not like you HAVE to stick to a single board. Maybe some people are trying to warn others of buying it?
Check out http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/

User Info: neohunter1884

neohunter1884
5 years ago#23
the thing that really annoys me is i can't pause, or am i doing it wrong
When did playing cutesie games make you a gamer and not playing them make you a frat boy?

User Info: Spookyryu

Spookyryu
5 years ago#24
DarkAdonis123 posted...
AdvancedGamer31 posted...
Master of Hate posted...
I see so many mixed reviews/feelings about the game, but mostly, I wanted to try and summarize why people *probably* don't like this game.

1) The removal of upgradeable weapons for "skill points"; it's not nearly as satisfying as having a fully upgraded weapon, and isn't RE4/RE5 style.

2) The overuse of Quick-time-events is so over-saturated, that the game isn't survival horror to the zombies; it's survival to cheap, coming-out-of-nowhere deaths like ambulances, trains, exploding cards. It's more like a "Die Hard" atmosphere, than a Resident Evil atmosphere.

3) The melee attacks are too strong. There's no threat of running out of ammo because if you're not using melee attacks around 50% of the time, you're doing it wrong. It also makes no sense that roundhouse kicks are stronger than firearms and is, conceptually, a huge oversight.

4) Aside from the name, the game doesn't even feel like a Resident Evil title. As a stand-alone game, it's pretty fun, but the pacing, the combat, the level design... none of it feels like RE. Considering it's called "RE6", people came in with high expectations for it, and have felt vastly betrayed/disappointed.

5) The survival horror aspect of the game is completely gone. There's herbs everywhere, there's ammo constantly dropping. It's an action-horror game, not survival horror, and people dislike this.

7) Combat is much more open-ended and fluid, but still manages to feel unresponsive and "clunky". If there are melee attacks.. why can't we at least target the person with some sort of lock-on?

8) Inventory management is not even a factor anymore. Pick up EVERYTHING you see, because why not? Forgot any sort of tactical play; grab it ALL!

That, in my opinion, is a general list of why people hate this game.

That being said, I think if this was a game without the Resident Evil title, it'd be kind of fun. It's certainly a different perspective on zombies, and it doesn't quite reach Left for Dead, but it DEFINITELY doesn't reach Day Z status. I really think that people expect a certain level of quality from a title with "Resident Evil" in it, much like people expect something from a game with a Final Fantasy tag on it. .

All valid points that I agree with.
But no one else here will take it into consideration, watch, just watch.
They'll find some way to ignore your opinion and or insult you.

I must be rare then. I read his opinions, and the issues he has with this game dont bother me. I'm not going to insult him because I see no reason to. He has a right to his opinion.

A friend and I played through Leon's campaign in one sitting yesterday. We had a blast. So far I like RE6 and am not sorry I bought it. I'm not a blind fanboy or Capcom apologist. I just don't share his thoughts on the game. My experience thus far has been very enjoyable.

Good that you are not insult him, but the thing is this game should have another title, Zombie Massacre, were you can shoot a lot of zombies with your friend and enjoy the violence, resident evil is not like that, I can see that Mikami had very high standards it will be hard that capcom can reach those.

User Info: Veliconis

Veliconis
5 years ago#25
the thing that really annoys me is i can't pause, or am i doing it wrong

You can pause by hitting the Start button. However, if some type of event is going on in the game, for whatever reason, you can't pause. If you're just strolling along killing zombies to reach a certain point, you can pause the game just fine. However, if you're having to run from something (no QTE involved), you cannot pause. I don't get it. You can't even hit the Xbox Guide button to make the game pause like several other games do.
Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, their = belonging to them, they're = they are, there = not here.

User Info: bucktoothgamer

bucktoothgamer
5 years ago#26
Master of Hate posted...

2) While I agree with the overuse of the QTEs, I have yet to see any of these cheap or unavoidable(according to GS) deaths that people are experiencing, Ill give that some commands show up later than others but Ive yet to see a QTE death be totally unavoidable.

4-5) My argument against this is that anyone who has played a resident evil since re4 knows what to expect from this, not calling it an invalid point if it really bothers people, but that's like complaining about too much platforming in a Mario game(I know its quite a stretch but its gets my point off).

6) Maybe Ive been giving the benefit of the doubt because everybody complains about the camera angles when Ive yet to be in a situation where my sight was hindered.

8) This I will agree with, while RE5s item management was very basic I loved the case concept in 4.

I have played through 3 chapters in Jake's campaign and so far Im enjoying it. These were just specific points I was curious on everyone elses idea about them and how I felt.

User Info: DarkD3stiny

DarkD3stiny
5 years ago#27
Well oldsnakereborn yes its new so complain about it then move on otherwise you ll get labelled a troll and rightfully so. I knew what I was getting because I played the demo so if people didn't play the demo then bought the game then that's their own fault. There are people insulting others for liking this game, that's not trying to warn others. So because this board is free its ok to hate on a game over and over? people been hating on the new style re games for 7 years on forums, can you not move on and choose another series? This forum was made for people who enjoy this game to discuss this game.

User Info: Stedinator

Stedinator
5 years ago#28
I just have to make comments about the combat and ammo stuff.

The melee attacks are not OP. Generally it takes a three hit combo to down one enemy if your lucky, often that will just knock them over if they've not been shot first and then your stamina bar only really allows for 2 or 3 full combos. You CANNOT take out a whole bunch of zombies using melee exclusively, it just leaves you more vulnerable to attack.

It's strong and useful, but certainly not overpowered, and you can't even combo the bigger enemies and it's the combo attacks that do real damage, the first couple are generally just knock back.

As for this: There's herbs everywhere, there's ammo constantly dropping.

That's not really true, herbs are pretty hard to come by, on Leon's campaign at least, unless you manage your herb combinations well and ammo may not appear scarce, but in a big firefight, you find yourself often caught short and melee will not get you out of those situations.

Otherwise there rest I don't agree with, but I can see why they would be a problem for people, I just don't think you have the facts quite right on the ones I singled out.
"I'm going to go do British things, like drink cups of tea and eat bangers and mash, that sort of thing...because I'm British"

User Info: Master of Hate

Master of Hate
5 years ago#29
For the record, I don't dislike the game >.>
http://www.own3d.tv/Cymdai2 = Smite Stream
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 6
  3. A bullet-point list of why people hate this installment of Resident Evil

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived