Wow... The writing, is, uh...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Senjou no Valkyria 3
  3. Wow... The writing, is, uh...

User Info: Lebowski1

Lebowski1
2 years ago#1
Yeah. So oh boy, the writing is more on the level of VC2 than the original game. I guess this is to be expected, but with amateurs going to so much trouble to translate it, I was hoping for more.

I'm quite early on so there will be minimal spoilers I guess. The stuff about Kurt earning the respect of his squadmates is incredibly hamfisted.

"We should go around the back, through the trees, and hit them from the flank."
"I see... avoid a confrontation from the front... your tactical mind is startling in its clarity."

I mean they just queue up around Kurt singing his praises, it is horrendous writing. And the plot? So far it has just been: faff around in the forest mumbling stuff about 'tactics', meet the characters from the previous games for a quick episode, continue.

Sorry to say it but: the story for VC3 is every bit as bad as for VC2, if not a bit worse, and although the gameplay is still good, it no longer feels fresh because it is 90% the VC2 engine.

Sadface.
XCOM Ironman Impossible attempt currently in progress at my Youtube channel, check it out at www.youtube.com/Valchronification

User Info: GamerInJapan

GamerInJapan
2 years ago#2
Just to let you know, one of the reasons the writing is so simplified is the damn engine (on the PSP) only allows for a limited number of characters in those text boxes. Another reason the original dialogue is simplified (ok lets call a spade a spade.. dumbed down) is the target audience that Sega was going for. Mind you if you ever beat it and can check out Home or Sky episodes you will see the writing improved a lot.

By the way the fan translators were not all "amateurs," but hey feel free to play the game in its original "glory" -- Japanese.

Lebowski1
2 years ago#3
Hm, well I think blaming the size of the text boxes is a stretch. Half the dialogue in the original VC could have been cut out I reckon, a lot of the time characters would state something, and then state the same thing again in different words. Brevity can be a blessing in writing.

But yes, the target audience obviously changed. It's such a shame, the original VC really walked the line between standard anime writing and something truly much greater than that, but they've just let it fade away into generic nonsense.

Ah well, at least the Blitz battles are still decent. I'm just playing through the game without using any of the optional battles at the moment, kinda speeding through without exploiting any grinding. Finished the assault on... Yuell I think it is? Beat that one without doing the optional stage to switch off the heavy mortars lol Took a few attempts though (the APC is NOT the best way to make it through, it gets hammered despite the buffs it received!)

It's a real shame because I'd have loved for this to have a story which lives up to the gameplay. Ah well. Maybe it'll pick up a bit.
XCOM Ironman Impossible attempt currently in progress at my Youtube channel, check it out at www.youtube.com/Valchronification

User Info: Trotmeister

Trotmeister
2 years ago#4
By the way the fan translators were not all "amateurs," but hey feel free to play the game in its original "glory" -- Japanese.

Translation is totally fine, but I was kinda dissapointed you guys didn't do Carisa's mission. Been looking forward to seeing what all those extra characters had to say. I also recall you saying that one of the Aces rewards got accidentally deleted. Any chance we'll see an updated patch at some point?

User Info: GamerInJapan

GamerInJapan
2 years ago#5
Trotmeister posted...

Translation is totally fine, but I was kinda dissapointed you guys didn't do Carisa's mission. Been looking forward to seeing what all those extra characters had to say. I also recall you saying that one of the Aces rewards got accidentally deleted. Any chance we'll see an updated patch at some point?

Any patch update requires support from our programmer who is currently unavailable.
No eta on that so to get around that simply play the mission in Japanese to get that Ace. The mission is an extra mission and has no bearing on the game story or even accessing the game's Ace medal. No doubt inconvenient but it is purely an optional mission.

User Info: Illuminoius

Illuminoius
2 years ago#6
GamerInJapan posted...
Another reason the original dialogue is simplified (ok lets call a spade a spade.. dumbed down) is the target audience that Sega was going for.

you aren't sega
Guerrilla Soldier 2 years ago#7
I partially agree with you, but I also feel like you're holding the first VC game to a standard that it didn't actually hit. It was good writing, but it certainly wasn't amazing, nor was it praised for it.

The audience certainly changed, but I feel like the idea of the game (being portable) did as well. No longer was the focus on making a mainstream AAA title to watch on a big screen, the new focus was keeping it concise and interesting to enjoy on-the-go.

I feel like all PSP games face that problem though, as you can see in the difference between the God of War games on the console compared to those that are portable. Even games like Peace Walker, which had great writing, story, and cinematics, was still not on the same level as say MGS3 or even 1.

For what it is, though, the overall story of VC3 is enjoyable. Following the 'unknown team' that was behind the scenes is a story that's often tough to tackle, but I feel like they executed it extremely well for what they had to work with.
Die-hard Oakland A's fan --- Keep the A's in Oakland!

Lebowski1
2 years ago#8
Guerrilla Soldier posted...
I partially agree with you, but I also feel like you're holding the first VC game to a standard that it didn't actually hit. It was good writing, but it certainly wasn't amazing, nor was it praised for it.

No no, I totally agree the original was far from perfect writing, but for a videogame and a Japanese one at that I thought it was very good. The PSP sequels have just trailed off into the usual modern anime cliches, unfortunately.

But yeah, no complaints about the translation itself, I get the feeling it is very loyal to what was originally intended... which is the problem.
  1. Boards
  2. Senjou no Valkyria 3
  3. Wow... The writing, is, uh...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived