Weapons for mages?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Weapons for mages?

User Info: Thunder_Sniper

Thunder_Sniper
5 years ago#1
Just a quick question for those who have had the pleasure to experience Dark Souls already. In Demon's Souls, most mage/magic-based characters seemed to use the Uchigatana and the Moon Winged Spear and other stuff because you could upgrade them to do physical damage through your magic stat. Is there a similar situation in Dark Souls where there are preferred/specialized weapons/weapon types for mages?

More specifically, if I play a Sorcerer can I be running around with a Katana or a Scythe and not get railroaded?

Also just a confirmation: if I pick to start as a Sorcerer, I can learn spells from Pyromancy/Faith if I spec myself correctly and have the right catalysts?
I'm a programmer, breaking Physics is my job!
- GladeAnator/Thunder_Sniper - Future Video Game Programmer

User Info: FrozenYogurtftw

FrozenYogurtftw
5 years ago#2
There's an upgrade branch that gives an A scale in Int, so yeah you can run around with katanas and such as long as you upgrade along that.

User Info: overture2112

overture2112
5 years ago#3
Yes, you can use any type of magic if you start as a Sorc as long as you obtain the correct catalyst.

In addition to the upgrade paths that increase Int scaling, there's also a few unique weapons that scale based on Int (see http://w.livedoor.jp/project_dark/d/%b7%f5 for example)

User Info: Jitawa

Jitawa
5 years ago#4
Note that spells have hard stat requirements, so to get a certain miracle, you might need 36 faith or some such. You may find it difficult to do a pronounced faith/int split on your stats. Also, if you were leveling faith on par int, you could use a faith scaling weapon instead.

The upgrade path that "can" hit A scaling for int is very high as well.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Weapons for mages?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived