It's kind of cool that you can see From evolve through this game's development.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. It's kind of cool that you can see From evolve through this game's development.

User Info: magikid

magikid
4 weeks ago#1
The first area they ever worked on was apparently the Painted World, and you can really see old remnants of Demon's Souls in it. It's a series of structures that you work your way in and around on a mostly fixed path, opening up shortcuts back to the beginning for permanent progress if you die. The final shortcut lets you run a straight line from the bonfire to the boss. This is exactly like the first stage of Demon's Souls, but lots of other stages in that game did the same sort of thing, with shortcuts meant to act as checkpoints.

You don't really see this kind of shortcut much outside of the Painted World (incidentally its own isolated level, like Demon's Souls had). Dark Souls' shortcuts are more about going back and forth between areas to emphasize the "free exploration" element of the game. I can't think of more than maybe a few that are just there for you to pick up where you left off after death. The boss runs are a lot longer in general, too. My point is before they worked all that out, they were still in the DeS mindset, and it shows with their first area.

The DLC then would have been the final developed content, and it shows how they were gearing up for Dark Souls 2. Suddenly we've got enemies that are linked together to force you into group combat, and hyper-aggressive bosses (probably) meant to downplay the use of a shield. Not to mention the first appearance of dark magic. There's probably more. It stands to reason that if Dark Souls 2 had gone through a little more, uh, quality control, it might have ended up more like this DLC.

So I guess everything in between, or at least pre-Lordvessel before they rushed everything, could be considered Dark Souls' "core identity." Exploration and backtracking, extremely hidden secrets, and more falling deaths than the other games combined for some reason.

Apologies if this is all common knowledge by now. I've never seen it pointed out, though.
MagiKid - Wielder of the Soup Spoon
"KEYLESS ENTER!!!" - Junpei, Megatokyo
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. It's kind of cool that you can see From evolve through this game's development.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived