Anyone here play vanilla Dark Souls?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Anyone here play vanilla Dark Souls?

User Info: Borticus1

Borticus1
2 months ago#1
I love this game but played it to death on Xbox and PC. I'm tempted to buy a used copy, disconnect from the internet so it can't update, and try the vanilla version. I understand it was quite different, with some more difficult portions, fewer souls, etc.

Anyone here play it? Is it worth going back?

Edit: Used copy would be on my PS3. Oddly enough I've never played it on that system.
"Your superior intellects are no match for our puny weapons" - Kang

User Info: HopkickCityBoiz

HopkickCityBoiz
2 months ago#2
It's... Interesting. Hilariously broken with some glitches. Dragon Head glitch so fun.
uf4 uf4 uf4 uf4 uf4
Official Onyx Blade of the Dark Souls 3 board

User Info: CFallenWarrior

CFallenWarrior
2 months ago#3
It's more difficult from the perspective of a new player. If you're familiar with the game, the only parts I recall are Capra Demon and Dragon Butts, and a few quality of life changes, and if you're in the know, even they aren't bad. You get fewer Souls, but that doesn't prevent grinding, and you don't even really need them since damage stats are useless: elemental weapons are about on par with 99/99 Crystal Weapons for damage output, Hornet Ring has a 50% modifier, Family Masks are far stronger, and DWGR works at 50% equip burden allowing you to ninja flip at high poise/Defence for almost no investment.

User Info: zyrax2301

zyrax2301
2 months ago#4
The things I remember best from the game at launch are how broken Iron Flesh and the Crystal Ring Shield were. Oh, HP reductions from repeat cursing was BRUTAL...I got stuck in the depths on my first run and ended up having to fight my way back to the surface with only 10% HP so I could cure it.
Why? Because **** you is why.

User Info: LacedaemonX

LacedaemonX
2 months ago#5
The enemies aggro range is immensely farther as well, and they'll chase you longer too. But yeah vanilla dragon butts in lost izalith ;-; s*** was brutal. The glitches that were much easier to accomplish also make for interesting gameplay. Spell swaps and all that

User Info: HopkickCityBoiz

HopkickCityBoiz
2 months ago#6
LacedaemonX posted...
The enemies aggro range is immensely farther as well, and they'll chase you longer too. But yeah vanilla dragon butts in lost izalith ;-; s*** was brutal. The glitches that were much easier to accomplish also make for interesting gameplay. Spell swaps and all that

Old Moonlight Shield... Mm...
uf4 uf4 uf4 uf4 uf4
Official Onyx Blade of the Dark Souls 3 board

User Info: Daimeion

Daimeion
2 months ago#7
In the vanilla, the silver knights at Anor Londo can't open doors. So you could pull some "Pandora's Box" shenanigans on your fellow phantoms.

Also, if you are a megamule user, you must go through the ceiling with chandelier portion of Anor Londo to lower the rotating bridge manually. On the non vanilla version, if you try warping to the Darkmoon Tomb, the lever (or any levers) to the rotating bridge won't work.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Anyone here play vanilla Dark Souls?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived