This Game Has Not Aged Well.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. This Game Has Not Aged Well.

User Info: Drain_Bead

Drain_Bead
4 weeks ago#1
2 and 3 have spoiled us I guess. I started playing souls in 2009 with Demon's Souls in it's prime and loved every minute of it. I didn't think Dark Souls would deliver an experience better than Demon's Souls. Boy was I wrong.

People tend to forget, that when Dark Souls came out the community HATED it. It took an objective outlook and a lot of ignoring the forums to appreciate it for what it really was. I ended up having more fun and logged in more hours to Dark Souls than Demon's Souls.

Fast forward to today. I went back and played 1 for a little bit the past few weeks. I can't believe how bad this game is now. Its just awful.

I can see 3 aging this way, but not 2. Looks like 2 will be the timeless gem.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince someone they've been fooled.

User Info: Daimeion

Daimeion
4 weeks ago#2
Drain_Bead posted...
Fast forward to today. I went back and played 1 for a little bit the past few weeks. I can't believe how bad this game is now. Its just awful.

Care to elaborate more on that?

Drain_Bead
4 weeks ago#3
Daimeion posted...
Drain_Bead posted...

Care to elaborate more on that?

The framerate, the world, the mechanics, just everything really. The fashion souls is awful in 1 (Logan's Bighat notwithstanding). The magic in comparison to 2 and 3 is horribly lacking, poise is overly simplistic (still better than 3 though), only a couple of the boss fights stand out on their own, and the world just seems like this shell of a game.

I remember when I was absolutely mesmerized by Anor Londo. Now it just looks so simplistic and stale. Most of the areas in 2 put it to shame, which is really saying something.

User Info: Nundulan

Nundulan
4 weeks ago#4
Troll topic
Take Your Time

Drain_Bead
4 weeks ago#5
Nundulan posted...
Troll topic

I'm being as serious as a heart attack man. It's just the facts man.

User Info: chefbobby203

chefbobby203
4 weeks ago#6
seems like trolling. You brought up poise as a bad thing, should have just left it at framerate to be less obvious

User Info: SolidKnight

SolidKnight
4 weeks ago#7
The community hated it when it came out? That doesn't align with my recollection or the topic history.

The game is a bit janky with some underwhelming areas. It is still a brilliant game regardless especially at the time. Made a huge wave in the industry and is largely still fun to play albeit the novelty has worn off.

Drain_Bead
4 weeks ago#8
chefbobby203 posted...
seems like trolling. You brought up poise as a bad thing, should have just left it at framerate to be less obvious

The poise in 1 is worse than the poise in 2 but better than the "poise" in 3 which is clearly stated.

Please tell me the Dark Souls 1 faithfuls have evolved past the point of calling everyone a troll who says anything negative about their game, please. Its getting old.

And also, since their is no counter-argument, it would seem my case is solid.

Drain_Bead
4 weeks ago#9
@SolidKnight

SolidKnight posted...
The community hated it when it came out?

Oh jeez, allow me to enlighten you my friend. Im going to get all nostalgic just talking about this lol.

Okay. Almost all of the Demon's Souls community was at wikidot, the Japanese community notwithstanding. There were 3 versions of the game: US / EU / JP. The community was AMAZING. We had our share of misfits, but by and large, we all somehow found a way to find a common ground. No one trolled, not maliciously. We trolled each other out of fun, but it was more like pranking. As a matter of fact, if someone even began to troll someone the community jumped on them before a mod could even step in (and the mods were f***ing awesome). It was this hodgepodge environment of rpg geeks who could either find a way to improve their character for the sake of pve, trade and share secrets, or get some tutoring on how pvp worked and why it was so different from pve. Anyone who was around those 2 years to see the community at its peak has the same recollection. Stooge, Doc, and mmgHouse did an AMAZING job running the place, and Jumi and Haggard are PERSONALLY responsible for developing the sl120 meta still prevalent today.

Then Dark Souls was announced. We went apes***. We couldn't believe this small niche game had gained so much attention and had quickly become a cult classic in such a short amount of time. Not only that, but our sequel was getting the AAA treatment!!! We kind of felt like we had a stake in all of that. The more footage was released, the more we foamed at the mouth. Until about a week or two before release, then it happened....

We found out that there would be no dedicated servers and online would run solely on p2p. The tech squad was pissed. Those of us who had amateur IT knowledge didn't see it as a big deal, but those in the know knew better. The s***storm didn't happen right away, but this would prove to be an important factor in the storm to come.

After the game was released, in 2 SHORT days, the forums blew up. "I cant connect with my friend" "I cant see my friends sign" "Namco advertised this game with a slogan of gather your friends...exactly HOW am I supposed to do that?" You see, the community was developed almost exclusively with the premise of helping each other out and having fight clubs. Well, how the f*** could you have a fight club if you couldn't summon your friend? What were people supposed to think when they bought the game with a few friends who intended on playing through the game TOGETHER? Bare in mind that the connectivity of Dark Souls had to be patched a few times after release. If you think its difficult to summon a friend sometimes nowadays, it was infinitely worse the first few months of the game's life.

This instantly pissed the community off and started the Bamco insults, along with many other insults like "This game's atmosphere is for kiddies. It can't compare to the glory of ToL!" "Poise is the dumbest thing the game could've implemented" "The combat is SOOOOO slow" "I miss the Nexus" "No world tendency?? Way to cater to casuals" etc etc etc.

Drain_Bead
4 weeks ago#10
It didn't stop for months. Personally, I LOVED the game. I could see potential from the first few days of playing it. And don't forget how broken it was upon release. From TWoD to knife spitting dragons, it was borderline atrocious in some aspects. That's not what was sad though. What was sad was watching what I like to call "The Great p2p Divide". You had to witness people who you knew were friends, you'd seen them in the forums talking joking around fighting in FCs together, all of the sudden become bitter enemies. If you thought that Dark Souls was better than Demon's Souls at wikidot, you were ousted and not just by the forum goers, but by the mods as well. It was sad to watch and is the reason wikidot is nothing but a shell of it's former self. This community war lasted for a good 6 months until the Dark Souls believers (like myself) stuck it out and rebuilt the community. That's right. Good ol Drain_Bead had a hand in building the community you have all come to love today.

For anyone who witnessed the beating Dark Souls 2 received I tell you, it was nothing, NOTHING compared to what Dark Souls endured when it was released. The only difference was that Dark Souls 2 was already in the spotlight at this point and well known. The beauty of Dark Souls is what made the game last. It really speaks to how ahead of it's time the game really was. It just hasn't aged well is all compared to 2 and 3.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. This Game Has Not Aged Well.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.