Maintaining Immersion In A Game

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Maintaining Immersion In A Game

User Info: bubbascal

bubbascal
1 month ago#1
I'm mainly asking this to anyone who is on this board now, regular or regular. It doesn't have to be a Souls game.

How do you remain immersed in a game? And how do you find new games to get immersed in? What are your tricks for having fun in gaming and (maybe) sticking to a game you like?

I can't seem to find anything fun on my PS4. Bloodborne doesn't keep my occupied, neither does Let It Die (which I REALLY wanna get back into it but can't even boot up the game fully without wanting to switch to something else), Overwatch, Gravity Rush 2, Street Fighter V... Danganronpa V3 is holding my attention well but that's because of the extra modes. And I'm going to be clearing the Despair Dungeon mode soon. Or lose interest before that.

Salt and Sanctuary I lost interest in after a time... I'm hoping Code Vein will recapture my attention again.

I love the thought of finding some way to get back into a Souls-like game. But it doesn't have to be a Souls game. Action-RPGs- No, ANY game will do.

I'll be posting this on the Bloodborne board as well, as I did so in January and it's been almost a year since then. I might get new answers from the regulars as well as new people.

If I could get some serious answers... I'd be really happy.
PSN: KHFanOnline1 Nohrian Scum/Traitor/Purple Ghost FE: Fates Castle Address: 01676-22960 61727-32290
Favorite Pokemon: Arceus

User Info: Daimeion

Daimeion
1 month ago#2
Find a game that you are passionate about, and not just to kill time out of boredom.

bubbascal
1 month ago#3
Daimeion posted...
Find a game that you are passionate about, and not just to kill time out of boredom.

But how do you find these games? That's the question.

I want to know what you do. And what types of games you try to shoot for too. :)
PSN: KHFanOnline1 Nohrian Scum/Traitor/Purple Ghost FE: Fates Castle Address: 01676-22960 61727-32290

Daimeion
1 month ago#4
bubbascal posted...
Daimeion posted...

I want to know what you do. And what types of games you try to shoot for too. :)

Exactly how it sounds, look until you find the one.
It sound like you still haven't found it, just keep trying.
The first thing I won't do is find a game just to keep me busy, second is to not find a game just for the sake of playing a game, third is to not find a game based on what others think is good. I'll have to look for that myself. I mean, I come from a fighters background, so how do you think I went from there to this? I looked.
(edited 1 month ago)

bubbascal
1 month ago#5
Daimeion posted...
bubbascal posted...
Daimeion posted...

The first thing I won't do is find a game just to keep me busy, second is to not find a game just for the sake of playing a game, third is to not find a game based on what others think is good. I'll have to look for that myself. I mean, I come from a fighters background, so how do you think I went from there to this? I looked.

I see... where and/or how do you suggest I start looking then?

Daimeion
1 month ago#6
bubbascal posted...
Daimeion posted...
bubbascal posted...
Daimeion posted...

I see... where and/or how do you suggest I start looking then?

Explore what YOU personally feel interested in, it doesn't have to be specific and it doesn't have to be right initially. You could try each of the genres in order or you could choose randomly till you find the right one. You may even end up in odd places like Bubble Puzzle or Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F.

User Info: 907untitled

907untitled
1 month ago#7
I recently got hooked on stardew valley. I know it sounds dumb. But it's a good old waste of time. Lol. Even got my wife playing it. It's cheap and I'm not gonna lie I sank a ton of hours into it. Like a couple hundred. And I still didn't get every achievement. I did however build a farm with twelve sheds full of kegs. Full of starfruit wine.
Bleep... Bleeeep.. Blurp...
PSN : souls_scavenger

User Info: WheelsOfThyme

WheelsOfThyme
1 month ago#8
Try The Banner Saga.

Immersed the absolute f*** outta me.

User Info: RapidDarkness

RapidDarkness
4 weeks ago#9
Atmosphere/story to attain immersion, & some sort of challenge factor to maintain it. 907untitled posted...
I did however build a farm with twelve sheds full of kegs. Full of starfruit wine.

Now that's what I'm talking about.
I wear no mask.

bubbascal
2 weeks ago#10
907untitled posted...
I recently got hooked on stardew valley. I know it sounds dumb. But it's a good old waste of time. Lol. Even got my wife playing it. It's cheap and I'm not gonna lie I sank a ton of hours into it. Like a couple hundred. And I still didn't get every achievement. I did however build a farm with twelve sheds full of kegs. Full of starfruit wine.

Stardew Valley is not necessarily a bad game to get hooked to. I've played it and I feel like there's a number of things that can be improved (EX: Walk speed) but it seems like a nice game.

Thanks for the help everyone! I happened to find some games to get addicted too while I was away! =D
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Maintaining Immersion In A Game

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.