Seeking help, would like to put worlds on external hard drive.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Minecraft
  3. Seeking help, would like to put worlds on external hard drive.

User Info: keyslinger5

keyslinger5
1 month ago#1
Hello. I just recently got the pc version of Minecraft after playing for years on a vanilla Xbox 360 version. It's awesome! :)

My problem is, I don't want to clutter up the laptop it's on's storage. Is there a way to have the worlds save to an external hard drive or something without moving the entire game? Would I have to reinstal? I have been searching for quite some time and google has failed me. Help!
"You had your perfect little script, but you kinda forgot to write the sequel. Now, let's find out what happens!" - Lea, Kingdom Hearts 3DS.

User Info: TheOpposite

TheOpposite
1 month ago#2
If it's the Java version, type %APPDATA% into the Windows Explorer program directory bar. This brings up the folder containing the .minecraft file folder, which contains your save files. Just copy that over to whatever storage device you want. You will have to do this periodically since it's a backup. I'm not sure how to change the .minecraft folder's default location.

For the Windows 10 version I don't know.
(edited 1 month ago)

keyslinger5
1 month ago#3
Okay, I think it is the Java version. Thank you for helping with my question.
"You had your perfect little script, but you kinda forgot to write the sequel. Now, let's find out what happens!" - Lea, Kingdom Hearts 3DS.

keyslinger5
1 month ago#4
Does anyone know how to set that default setting? Or someplace I could find instructions?

User Info: AssultTank

AssultTank
1 month ago#5
In the launcher go to the Launch Options tab.

Select your profile, where it says Game Directory should have a grey icon to the left. Click that to turn it green.

Then click the folder icon to the right to explore and set the directory or manually type the directory you wish to select.

THIS WILL NOT COPY YOUR DATA! The data will stay in the old folder which is usually in C:/Users\(PC NAME)\%APPDATA%\roaming\.minecraft
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/20- Monthly Competitions with Karma or Steam/Amazon prizes!
RIP Mith. You were a good friend and will be missed. ;-;
(edited 1 month ago)

keyslinger5
1 month ago#6
Okay, so if I set the directory, then copy the folders, the folders will be saved where I tell it to automatically and they will all be together. Just making sure I've got it right.

All right, I'll give this a try soon, thank you all for helping me out! :) I'll post my results here as to wether or not this worked. Thanks again.

User Info: AssultTank

AssultTank
1 month ago#7
keyslinger5 posted...
Okay, so if I set the directory, then copy the folders, the folders will be saved where I tell it to automatically and they will all be together. Just making sure I've got it right.

That should work.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/20- Monthly Competitions with Karma or Steam/Amazon prizes!
RIP Mith. You were a good friend and will be missed. ;-;

keyslinger5
3 weeks ago#8
Sorry I haven't posted any results yet, I've been too busy to test it out. I'm going to let this topic archive and if I have a problem, I'll check into it.
Thanks again for the help! :)
  1. Boards
  2. Minecraft
  3. Seeking help, would like to put worlds on external hard drive.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.