New player need help - no spoilers please

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. New player need help - no spoilers please

User Info: well_mannered

well_mannered
4 months ago#1
My first run. Blind. Offline. Level 71.

Cleared Anor Londo, and opened the floodgates to new londo ruins, got the abyss ring, went to look for four Kings, can't hit him, bailed out. Went to look for Seath, can't even touch him bailed out.

Places I have completed/shown on my warp options

1. Undead parish.
2. Anor londo and Princess Chambers
3. Dukes archives
4. Depth
5. Fire link shrine

I have spotted the hydra in the garden lake, didn't try to defeat it. I have gotten to the tomb of giants, but fell to my death. I only found two blacksmiths so far.

Some spoiler free suggestions would help.
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
GT: bathoryhordes MP: Belle (Sorcerer level 200) GT2: Primeformula85 MP: Beleg (Ranger level 200)

User Info: Weberjj007

Weberjj007
4 months ago#2
What upgraded weapons do you have, and any magic or pyro?

4kings generally require as much damage output as quickly as possible.

Hydra is easily doable at your level, and you need to kill it to get to the DLC.

Explore a bit by where you rang the bell after killing Quelaag.

Let me know how specific you want me to get.

Weberjj007
4 months ago#3
Also, don't bail on Seath. Fight right to the end....

well_mannered
4 months ago#4
I only use long sword raw +5 for critters and Zweilander +10 for bosses. Pyro level 6. Grass crest shield level 5. Wearing heavy black armor poise about 70. Intelligence level 10 :D

Weberjj007 posted...
What upgraded weapons do you have, and any magic or pyro?

4kings generally require as much damage output as quickly as possible.

Hydra is easily doable at your level, and you need to kill it to get to the DLC.

Explore a bit by where you rang the bell after killing Quelaag.

Let me know how specific you want me to get.
GT: bathoryhordes MP: Belle (Sorcerer level 200) GT2: Primeformula85 MP: Beleg (Ranger level 200)

well_mannered
4 months ago#5
I got locked into a cell. Went back up again to fight him. He crystallises everything in front of me. I end up at the same cell.

Weberjj007 posted...
Also, don't bail on Seath. Fight right to the end....

C

User Info: ChazA4

ChazA4
4 months ago#6
well_mannered posted...
I only use long sword raw +5 for critters and Zweilander +10 for bosses. Pyro level 6. Grass crest shield level 5. Wearing heavy black armor poise about 70. Intelligence level 10 :D

Stop using raw weapons. At your level, weapons along the standard path are much better. I would recommend the Claymore as an 'all-around', but if you can give us your stats, we can help out much better with specific weapons.

Yes, fight to the bitter end with Seath(make sure you have a Rare Ring of Sacrifice though). And you're not supposed to go that way...try looking elsewhere.

Webberjj007's last statement stands...if you don't mind us getting a bit more specific, we can help you out more. But we will respect you going in blind if you wish(on the subject, you should have gotten a Skull Lantern in the Catacombs, depending on how thorough you were. That will save you a lot of grief in Tomb of the Giants...mind you, there's still plenty of grief yet to be had).
Bad: When you attempt to disarm a trap, the GM says "Uh oh..."
Worse: When asking for the damage, they say "Does anyone have a calculator?"

well_mannered
4 months ago#7
I believe I had gotten a skull like stuff in the Catacombs. It's a weapon maybe?.... hmm probably I threw it into the bottomless box.

Raw weapons are no good? So for more damage a +10 is better?

Offhand from memory.

Vit: around 938 hps the last I checked. I started as a Warrior.

Strength: 36 or 38

Endurance 38

Attunement: no points added

Resistance: I didn't bother

Intelligence: 10 (I just added ONE point)

Faith: 9 Nothing added

Dex: 15 or 16

well_mannered
4 months ago#8
Bosses I had defeated:

1. The first few bosses before Anor Londo. Quelag and bell tower, iron golem to be specific, not considering taurus, capra, gaping dragon obviously.

2. pin wheel, sif, O & S

well_mannered
4 months ago#9
I just completed the underground demon ruins, defeated the fire demon but before the centipede. Corrections, I don't have any lantern of some sort on me. I think I could have misunderstood the skull lantern when it flashes across the screen during loading times.

Weberjj007
4 months ago#10
Okay, I'm going to do two posts -- one is a "game mechanics" issue, and then the second will be some non-spoiler guidance.

In the weapon display screen for each weapon, there are Parameter Bonus, ranked A through E. Like weapon requirements, they go left to right Strength, Dex, Intelligence, Faith. An "A" rating means the weapon does 5 points of additional damage for each point of strength. "B" means 4 points, and so on. So, a weapon with "C" damage bonus for strength and dexterity will do 3 additional points of damage for each point of strength, and 3 points of damage for each point of dex. That really adds up when you get to higher levels.

Raw, Lightning, and Fire weapons do not scale with soul level or attribute points, but compensate with higher base damage scores. Raw, to be honest, are useless. Fire and lightning can be very useful, particularly at lower levels. "Regular" plus weapons will general scale off strength and/or dex. Magic and Enchanted scale off intelligence, and divine and occult scale off faith. For your character with high dex and strength, you want regular "plus" weapons. Up to plus 15 if you can. Getting one weapon you like as high a plus as possible is key. "Chaos" weapons scale with humanity, but it can be tough to maintain humanity at a high enough level (max is 10) to have chaos make a lot of sense.

Pyromancy is your friend if you're a newer player. I've made it all the way through the game multiple times at soul level 1, using a fully upgraded pyromancy glove and lightning weapons.

Also, on your first playthrough and if you don't want more spoilers, try on different rings, etc., and then look in your character information screen to see what changes. There are some pretty cool rings out there.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. New player need help - no spoilers please

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived