What's the best upgrade path for the Morning Star?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. What's the best upgrade path for the Morning Star?

User Info: BrelenRaven

BrelenRaven
1 month ago#1
Other then +15 and Sunlight Blade... :P Not using weapon buffs on this character.

My end-game stats will be 37 Strength and 50 Faith. Currently sitting at 34 STR and 30 Faith.

I already have a Divine Mace and +15 Mace. Didn't really want to make another Divine weapon, but I will if it's the best. I currently have an Occult Morning Star +4 and it's... really crappy. Do I just need more Faith to make it work? Or should I just drop Occult and Divine and just go with Lightning?

Was thinking that Bleed would come in handy for big enemies/bosses. That's why I wanted to use it. : )
I've been called the Hero of Kvatch, Chosen Undead, Bearer of the Curse, Dragonborn, Courier 6, and the Arisen. But just call me Brelen.

User Info: Artgon

Artgon
1 month ago#2
Occult will probably be the best at 50 fth since you don't want to use buffs.
Gt:GonzalezA415
Psn:xGonz415x

BrelenRaven
1 month ago#3
Thought so. : )

Kinda sucks because I already have a magic damage Divine Mace. It'd be nice to have a Lightning weapon...

Maybe I should just upgrade a Reinforced Club for Bleed? You know, a weapon that actually deals damage. The only downside would be the forced jump attacks on the R2s. :P
I've been called the Hero of Kvatch, Chosen Undead, Bearer of the Curse, Dragonborn, Courier 6, and the Arisen. But just call me Brelen.

User Info: Zeratultheking

Zeratultheking
4 weeks ago#4
You are going to get issues at NG+. Split damage doesn't do well, as you are going against two defenses rather than one. And you get minimal gains per stat increase so you will hit like 200 damage per swing against most things that have defense or in PvP be even worse off.

Its a shame its like that the split weapons(lightning/divine/occult) do so well in NG, but do poorly afterwards. A pure fire weapon will actually out damage it.

Not to say you should abandon this build, as WoG will hit like a truck and is so fun to use. May want to switch to using a pure+15 weapon and using a buff with such a high faith stat instead, why the playstyle choice of no buffs?

Bleed works better for bladed weapons IIRC. As they are a bit quicker and it is all about stacking the effect to make it proc. I think the scythes are the go to for bleed.

BrelenRaven
4 weeks ago#5
Yeah. The terrible split damage saddens me constantly... T~T

I was going to try to push through the DLC with my Divine Mace, but decided not to. Whipped out my +14 Mace instead. Much better damage against those elemental damage sponges. >~<

I'm not using weapon buffs because I have my Talisman in my right hand. I like to be able to block and throw Lightning Spears. That, and I wanted to use the offensive Miracles with this character. I'll likely make a different character for weapon buffs.

Think I'll just drop the whole Morning Star idea. Maybe I'll make one +15 in NG, but for now it ain't worth it.

User Info: Orangejello

Orangejello
4 weeks ago#6
I always thought split damage was a complete waste of resources and Souls (excluding Divine and Occult) because you can just pine resin/catalyst/talisman buff and still get the stat bonuses from basic reinforcement.

On the off chance that you do want to continue with a split damage Morningstar, I have one of every type maxed out that I would be more than happy to drop to you so that you can experiment with each one for damage output. Just need your SL and a place that you can meet up. Providing you’re on Xbox servers.

BrelenRaven
4 weeks ago#7
Oh, thank you! But I don't have a Gold membership.

Yeah, split damage weapons are kinda a waste, BUT they're fun and different to use.

Orangejello
4 weeks ago#8
This is true. I’ve always been partial to Chaos weapons, but even more so since I started a Siegmeyer Cosplay build. Had to pump the s*** out of Endurance to get a fast roll which left me low on points to dump into strength. So I settled on 30 strength and a chaos Zweihander. Still doing fine on NG+4 bosses

BrelenRaven
4 weeks ago#9
I made a Siegmeyer cosplay character for a Halloween fightclub a while back. I settled with a mid-roll and just used a plan ol' +15 Zwei. I even used the Blue Tearstone Ring! :D Was actually useful. Just a little. : )

Orangejello
4 weeks ago#10
It makes me sad that Dex weapons are useless for PvP. Did a speed run through NG+7 last night with a +15 Ballin Swag Sword and Crystal Magic Weapon. The damage was so great. Got invaded, immediately got f***ed by a Greatsword.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. What's the best upgrade path for the Morning Star?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived