General advice for my current playthrough

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. General advice for my current playthrough

User Info: xlDuke

xlDuke
4 weeks ago#1
After playing a lot of 2 and 3 in recent years I've returned to Lordran for a thorough exploration of the world, hoping to catch a few things I've inevitably missed on my previous, limited, playthroughs. I'm looking for a bit of build and gameplay advice to help enhance my experience.

I'd like to avoid doing things exactly as I have done in the past (heavy Str weapons, katanas, greatshields) and have a bit of a different experience. I'm not too concerned about minmaxing or efficient PVP but I don't want to have to aim for a really high SL to round out the build. SL100-125 at end game is plenty. I'm fairly familiar with the NPCs, areas, enemies and items (though I'm no expert) but I'm almost entirely unfamiliar with spells and catalysts in DaS1.

Is it feasible for me to aim for a quality-ish build with some Fai/Int on the side or would I be better off choosing between Str and Dex? I'd quite like to play a generalist halberd/spear user with some buffs, utility spells, parrying shield and a smaller weapon as backup (longsword/Astora's straight sword?). BKH would be great, though perhaps too stat intensive for a hybrid build like this? Any tips on weapons/spells and where to find them would be welcome. I don't mind running around some areas at the start of the game to acquire useful gear. One of the things I'm apprehensive about Faith for is DMB and LB, will they be difficult to acquire and if so are the various Magic Weapon buffs easier to get hold of?

Aside from build advice I'd really like some tips on hearing some less well known dialogues, seeing less well known events (dark Anor Londo, Gwyndolin etc) which events trigger NPCs to arrive and leave Firelink (including Ingward) as well as how to have as many of them present at the Shrine at one time as possible, among any other interesting things I can see along the way.

Apologies for the long post, I'm aware I'm asking for rather a large amount of advice but any and all help is greatly appreciated.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: FudderBudder

FudderBudder
4 weeks ago#2
There's a lot to unpack here but I can give a few bits of advice from my own renewed experience in DS1.

As far as wanting to dabble in both faith AND intelligence..."jack of all trades, master of none eh?" it depends how much you're investing in both. If it's like 20/ea then that's not that big of a commitment and you can kind of go quality build while keeping a low*ish* level. But if you want some of the cooler spells *sunlight blade, soul spear, tranquil walk of peace etc.* then the str or dex will have to be sacrificed... not a big deal especially if you're utilizing buffs, spells or making weapons magic/divine to scale with your magic oriented stats. Pyromancy uses no stats for buffs, so just save Laurentius and talk with Quelana or whatever the hell her name is down in blighttown after you have an ascended pyro flame.

Avoiding doing the same thing as last time is easy enough since you know what you did last time :). For instance, my current play through is a halberd run mostly 2H. I never got the hype for the weapon until this run, it's SO MUCH FUN lol.

I'd argue it's more fun to start Sorcerer and build off that, you start with att, int and a spell, plus you can buy some spells off the guy beneath firelink shrine right off the bat. And once you get through most of lower undead burg you can have access to stronger spells plus some buffs and rings.

As far as lesser known dialogues... saving Solaire is cool, going through the onion knight's story is pretty rewarding and he's a bamf. And you can get to see the insidious side of Petrus* the guy who sells you miracles. His in particular is tough to see. When you beat the lower undead burg his friends arrive. After making them leave by continuing to the depths, you can make him reappear again by reloading enough times I believe but DO NOT beat the Gaping Dragon. When he reappears he'll give you the usual line, but the golden boy downstairs will sell you some info on him based on your level. Take that info back to Petrus and he admits to doing some pretty nasty stuff.

The wiki also has tons of useful info on completing story lines of people as well as where to get specific items and stuff. Hope this EVEN LONGER POST helps! :D

xlDuke
4 weeks ago#3
That is all very helpful, thank you. I'll be sure to have a good read of the Wiki regarding questioned and dialogue. I've never seen the dialogue you mentioned from Lautrec about Perry's, usually I either half forget Lautrec is there or kill him for the RoFAP long before Anor Londo. I assume that's Petrus' Cracked Red Eye Orb in the slightly hidden cache with the Morning Star before the graveyard, he seems fairly sinister.

I've also never followed Onion Knight's quest to the end, I've always failed it at Izalith when he jumps into the pit of demons so I'll take extra care there to see how things end up for him.

In my ramblings I wasn't particularly clear but I'd like to go with either Faith or Intelligence rather than both, excellent perhaps a small investment into one for utility spells with low requirements like Heal. I'll have to check the Wiki for information about elemental weapons and their scaling as well, previous I've always followed the 'normal' +15 upgrade path on a physical damage weapon.

I'm glad to hear the Halberd is fun to use, I'm a big fan of them on the other games. I also plan on mostly using one two-handed, partly to discourage myself from relying on a stable shield too much.

User Info: Timbo101

Timbo101
4 weeks ago#4
Sorc is a little rough in the beginning. One big help is you can stack spells. For instance you start with soul arrow. When you get to fire link you can run down to see Rickert in new londo ruins and buy another set of soul arrow. Then sit at a bonfire and equip both stacks of spells to have double the casts.

https://youtu.be/hwfhBIZP9Fc
Here's how much damage you can do at level 55 with an Int build
Xbox 1 DD:DA Pawn Name: Ghost Lev 200 Utilitarian Challenger Sorc
Gamertag: TimboSunShine
(edited 4 weeks ago)

xlDuke
3 weeks ago#5
Timbo101 posted...
Sorc is a little rough in the beginning. One big help is you can stack spells. For instance you start with soul arrow. When you get to fire link you can run down to see Rickert in new londo ruins and buy another set of soul arrow. Then sit at a bonfire and equip both stacks of spells to have double the casts.

Thanks for the early game tips. That's... a lot of damage for SL 55, looks a lot of fun. Never tried MLGS either so that will be an interesting route to follow for me and covers my melee/caster hybrid very nicely! Thank you for the help everyone.

Timbo101
3 weeks ago#6
In terms of catalysts, here are the optimal ones to use based on your Int level:

Int 12-26: Oolacile Ivory Catalyst
Int 27-40: Sorcerer's/ Beatrice's/ Izalith
Int 41+: Logan's
(At 32+ Int: crystal tin catalyst does the most damage but halves your casts)

The stat to look for on your catalyst is magic adjust. The higher the magic adjust the more damage you do. Some have a static magic adjust (like the oolacile one) while others increase with your Int. The above guide will give you optimal damage.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: ChazA4

ChazA4
3 weeks ago#7
Timbo101 posted...
In terms of catalysts, here are the optimal ones to use based on your Int level:

Int 12-26: Oolacile Ivory Catalyst
Int 27-40: Sorcerer's/ Beatrice's/ Izalith
Int 41+: Logan's
(At 32+ Int: crystal tin catalyst does the most damage but halves your casts)

The stat to look for on your catalyst is magic adjust. The higher the magic adjust the more damage you do. Some have a static magic adjust (like the oolacile one) while others increase with your Int. The above guide will give you optimal damage.

That helps me as well, thanks...I was unable to really understand what to be looking at when I play around with sorcery with my JOAT character(also planning a future sorcerer run).
Bad: When you attempt to disarm a trap, the GM says "Uh oh..."
Worse: When asking for the damage, they say "Does anyone have a calculator?"

User Info: Zeratultheking

Zeratultheking
3 weeks ago#8
Timbo101 posted...

I am confused though by your clip. As you clearly have 40 int, and the reqs for the items but it looks like your life is fairly well invested as well as endurance so I am not seeing how that is a lvl 55.

Just saying the bars look longer than they should based on the damage of that video. What are your stats?

Timbo101
3 weeks ago#9
I'll pull it up when i get home but if i had to guess with the stat planner it'd be:

SL56
Vit 17
Attune 16
End 15
Str 16
Dex 11 (starting stat)
Int 44

Ring of favor and Bellowing Dragon. Should be really close to this +/- vit and endurance. I'll follow up this evening but i assure you 100% SL56. I only know it's 56 as a couple nights ago i went and found more invasions in anor londo. Thought i left it at 55 before but snuck in a level somewhere in the past year : )
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Zeratultheking

Zeratultheking
2 weeks ago#10
Timbo101 posted...
I'll pull it up when i get home but if i had to guess with the stat planner it'd be:

SL56
Vit 17
Attune 16
End 15
Str 16
Dex 11 (starting stat)
Int 44

Ring of favor and Bellowing Dragon. Should be really close to this +/- vit and endurance. I'll follow up this evening but i assure you 100% SL56. I only know it's 56 as a couple nights ago i went and found more invasions in anor londo. Thought i left it at 55 before but snuck in a level somewhere in the past year : )

Ah that's what I missed was the ring :). I knew I was overlooking something simple, it just looked off based on stats alone. Thanks!
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. General advice for my current playthrough

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.