If my math is right, Valve has made $30 million off of TI4.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dota 2
  3. If my math is right, Valve has made $30 million off of TI4.

User Info: thehelpfulgamer

thehelpfulgamer
3 years ago#1
Someone needs to take that gif of the Wii printing money and photoshop Gabe's face and TI4 over it.
Bowser: Keeping it real for over 25 years.
Official TREANT PROTECTOR of the Dota 2 Board.

User Info: XGreatKing

XGreatKing
3 years ago#2
$30M in revenue, sure. Ask yourself how much they had to spend to reserve the stadium, hotel rooms, travel arrangements, not to mention all the equipment and production staff to make it all possible.
If you eat like a noob, you will be owned like a noob
~Legendary Hippo~

User Info: thehelpfulgamer

thehelpfulgamer
3 years ago#3
Probably way less than $30 million. That's how profits work.

And mind you, that's not accounting for the prize pool cut. That's straight sales. Still a ton of dough.
Bowser: Keeping it real for over 25 years.
Official TREANT PROTECTOR of the Dota 2 Board.

User Info: KingDelita

KingDelita
3 years ago#4
seriously the key arena is the main sports stadium in seattle....that is huge and first time and likely more to come later at other stadiums/arena, its only going to go up especially pitlord/techies coming out and being in the captain mode as the rest of the new heroes that arent in the cm.
Delita Hyral, the last of the Black Sheep Knights.
"Tough...Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God"

User Info: XGreatKing

XGreatKing
3 years ago#5
They'll make bank for sure, but I'm willing to bet a good deal of it actually comes from sponsorships and advertisements and not from just the compendium sales.
If you eat like a noob, you will be owned like a noob
~Legendary Hippo~

User Info: OmegaFlare18

OmegaFlare18
3 years ago#6
and we'll still get our last hero after next year's International I bet :P
Steam ID: mystr_E
http://heroesofnewerth.com/ref.php?r=Z11U9T0Q

User Info: TheCoolz

TheCoolz
3 years ago#7
Valve will make even more money with the merchandise sold at the booths.
Sven of the Outcast
https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/pap/zlCfzRRiugAvPz6KBJ

User Info: Aqua69696

Aqua69696
3 years ago#8
XGreatKing posted...
$30M in revenue, sure. Ask yourself how much they had to spend to reserve the stadium, hotel rooms, travel arrangements, not to mention all the equipment and production staff to make it all possible.

You act like they didn't sell out the stadium as well as wont be selling buttloads of merch there.
Out of the Shadows, down the coin goes.
Why oh why, do you suppose? Only the bandit knows.

User Info: xxtatataxx

xxtatataxx
3 years ago#9
XGreatKing posted...

a normal ticket is like 100-200$. vip ticket is like 500, that is already alot of the money they can get, not to mention the merchandise they will sell there that grants in-game items.
There is only one word for noobs when playing DOTA 2........UNINSTALL

User Info: UltraCookie

UltraCookie
3 years ago#10
XGreatKing posted...

$30M off COMPENDIUMS.

I'm going to make some huge assumptions here, but the seating capacity for the Key Arena is 16,500~ for 'end stage concerts'. Assuming 100% of ticket sales are for general admission, Valve made in revenue $1,650,000 off the event. I'm having trouble finding the cost of renting any stadium of that size in general, let alone specifically key arena, but the Suncorp Stadium with a seating capacity of 50,000 in Australia rented out for 750,000 for a single day and this was considered to be really hefty.

It's roughly a third the seating capacity, but 4 times as long (the event) so roughly $990,000 if you assume both charge by the chair, which is a really unfair way of doing it but it's all we've got. However I'm comfortable that this is on the upper end. Remaining costs should not exceed the 660,000 remaining to break even on the stadium. This is with a LOW estimate for revenue and a HIGH estimate for expenses.

So if we assume Valve the actual event itself broken even (unlikely), then we can compare the compendium revenue to compendium expenses. Valve made $30,000,000 in revenue on the compendium, minus the 8.5m prize pool. This leaves 21,500,000 to cover the expenses of producing the stretch goals: some cosmetic items and features that would have been completed anyway. Realistically, they'll release these features slowly. Honestly, they probably aren't actually spending that much more on salaries than they do during the rest of the year. They'll just divert resources from other things to work on the compendium. The biggest expenses are likely Darude, recording new voices and maybe having a few extra staff on then typical for a very short period.

Remember, it's not an 'extra' mini-pudge courier we're getting in addition to all the other couriers Valve is working on. One will just get benched for that courier, and similarly with almost every other feature.

The compendium is highly profitable, no doubt about it. Of course, the actual picture is more complicated (the game is free, so you have to consider development costs etc) but I still hold that this thing is absurdly more profitable than even some fully released titles. The amount of work and expenses vs revenue is cray cray.
  1. Boards
  2. Dota 2
  3. If my math is right, Valve has made $30 million off of TI4.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived