Trying to get Double-S score on an Extra Mission

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Macross Triangle Frontier
  3. Trying to get Double-S score on an Extra Mission

User Info: falchion1984

falchion1984
3 years ago#1
Hey, guys. I've got Double-S scores on all but 2 of the missions, and one of the remaining pair has me stumped. It's the fourth from the last, has tune number 76 playing, and the target is the Gorg Bodolzaa class Zentraedi Command Base. It's that huge base that looks like a flying mesa with a ring of turrets around the base. I can't get a higher score than S. I have a lead on why, because Special 3 is always unfulfilled. But, I have no idea what Special 3 is. I've already ruled out killing the base and keeping your wingman alive. Any ideas? Please let me know, and thanks in advance.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." --George S. Patton
Have you considered Time? Taking out heroes and bosses within 15 seconds of their arrival is a frequent special bonus objective.

As for the base, having the Auto Skill "Special Forces Agent" will double you damage output. Combined with Sarah Nome or Ishtar's Support Skill will do the trick.

Alternatively, flying to base's side, spinning around to face it and using a Macross Cannon or "Cover Fire" Skill will usually take it out in one shot as the beam will cross all of the destructible blisters.

falchion1984
3 years ago#3
Dragon Knight Tonal posted...
Have you considered Time? Taking out heroes and bosses within 15 seconds of their arrival is a frequent special bonus objective.

As for the base, having the Auto Skill "Special Forces Agent" will double you damage output. Combined with Sarah Nome or Ishtar's Support Skill will do the trick.

Alternatively, flying to base's side, spinning around to face it and using a Macross Cannon or "Cover Fire" Skill will usually take it out in one shot as the beam will cross all of the destructible blisters.

Does that bonus apply if the boss is already there when you start, rather than popping up later? Well, I'll give it a shot in any case. On a side note, you know those other three missions I was having trouble with? The one where you fight a bunch of Zentraedi, they one where you fight a bunch of Meltrans, and the one where you fight 7 or so SDF's in a row? I got 'em all. You're tip about stacking Ishtar with Ace Killer, Sniper, and Special Forces Agent, combined with some lucky timing to get the time bonus high enough, worked like a charm. Thanks much.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." --George S. Patton
I am not sure if the bonus counts when the boss starts on the map. It does in some of the PSP games and it doesn't in some. I honestly don't remember which one applies to MTF.

You're welcome.Passing on knowledge is what we are here for. (^__^)

falchion1984
3 years ago#5
I am not sure if the bonus counts when the boss starts on the map. It does in some of the PSP games and it doesn't in some. I honestly don't remember which one applies to MTF.

You're welcome.Passing on knowledge is what we are here for. (^__^)

I finally figured out what that mystery bonus is, but darned if I know how to make good use of it. Apparently, it is possible to fly a mission without a partner. If you do that on this mission, you get the bonus. But, this makes that bonus and the one you get for making sure your wingman survives mutually exclusive. I've already tried going straight for the carrier when the mission starts, and killed it in 45 seconds flat, but that only got me an S. I'll experiment to see if there's some way to pump up my score, but feel free to send suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Do not forget that you Combo Number adds to your score. Setting ammo count on the gunpod high and the damage all the way down can work wonders on your score.

Also killing an enemy with a melee attack gives a high score.

So kill the little guys with punches, and fire the non-damaging gunpod at the boss while shooting it with very damaging missiles.

falchion1984
3 years ago#7
Do not forget that you Combo Number adds to your score. Setting ammo count on the gunpod high and the damage all the way down can work wonders on your score.

Also killing an enemy with a melee attack gives a high score.

So kill the little guys with punches, and fire the non-damaging gunpod at the boss while shooting it with very damaging missiles.

Interesting idea. I'll have to try it once my lower half stops throbbing. I just got back from an overzealous workout at the local gym, and I am tapped. Thanks in advance.
Er. Iiii don't need to know about your throbbing lower parts, thanks.

falchion1984
3 years ago#9
Er. Iiii don't need to know about your throbbing lower parts, thanks.

Fair enough. On a related note, the Atkins diet loves up to its reputation. I've from the the mid-290's to just over 270 in two months.
I've dropped a hundred pounds in one month before. My weight has pretty much stayed at one-fifty ever since, not counting a fifteen pound plus/minus fluctuation.
  1. Boards
  2. Macross Triangle Frontier
  3. Trying to get Double-S score on an Extra Mission

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived