Remember when todd howard said races would be more different from each other

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Remember when todd howard said races would be more different from each other

User Info: obishawn

obishawn
4 years ago#41
kylekillgannon posted...
obishawn posted...
LolOkay posted...
Don't quote me on this but Todd did lie. IIRC he said we'd be able to wreck town economies?

How is that a lie? You can kill shop merchants.

It implies that doing so does more than just limits your purchasing ability. It forms the implication that this world is functioning on more than a superficial level and that without certain aspects of it that the community inside the game would suffer, but it's very static.

The words he says are meant to fill your mind with possibilities and not necessarily be true.

"It implies...". And therein lies the problem; people assuming things that are never said or hinted at.
Winter is coming

User Info: clone11

clone11
4 years ago#42
obishawn posted...
LolOkay posted...
Don't quote me on this but Todd did lie. IIRC he said we'd be able to wreck town economies?

IIRC, he specified being able to destroy wood mills to sabotage the economy.
"You persist too long after your own defeat. Come then, warrior. Have your resolution."

User Info: obishawn

obishawn
4 years ago#43
clone11 posted...
obishawn posted...
LolOkay posted...

Ok, that's different. That sounds like it could be part of the civil war Quest.

Still though, there's a lot of quotes without sources. Having proof of what was actually said would be really helpful.
Winter is coming

User Info: kylekillgannon

kylekillgannon
4 years ago#44
obishawn posted...
"It implies...". And therein lies the problem; people assuming things that are never said or hinted at.

Actually that's exactly what is happening. When you imply something you're leading someone to believe it can be or will be true.

He was putting the suggestion into people's heads that the race you choose will have tangible major affects on people's experience and that their actions will have universal consequences. Both of these things were later contradicted, and proven not to be true.

It's not something that really needs to be defended, and isn't something I'm openly criticizing here. But he is speaking like a salesman, and Todd is good at that.
History is written by those who have hanged heroes.

kylekillgannon
4 years ago#45
obishawn posted...
clone11 posted...
obishawn posted...
LolOkay posted...

Still though, there's a lot of quotes without sources. Having proof of what was actually said would be really helpful.

I believe that one comes from a video from either E3 or PAX.

User Info: clone11

clone11
4 years ago#46
obishawn posted...
clone11 posted...
obishawn posted...
LolOkay posted...

Okay, I found it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/e3-2011-the-elder-scrolls-skyrim-preview

“in this town there are trees and a lumber mill. If you wanted to, you could sabotage the lumber mill and it would have an affect the local economy of the town.”
"You persist too long after your own defeat. Come then, warrior. Have your resolution."

kylekillgannon
4 years ago#47
clone11 posted...

“in this town there are trees and a lumber mill. If you wanted to, you could sabotage the lumber mill and it would have an affect the local economy of the town.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErXUpnbXsPI

I love it when these things come back into relevance.

User Info: FredCat07

FredCat07
4 years ago#48
Altmer has Highborn, which regenerated Magic 25% faster and 50 bonus on Magic Bar

Argonian has Histskin, which allowed to restoring Health 10% faster and is resist to disease as well as breathing underwear for long period

Bosmor has Command Animal that turned any hostile animals into aids for short period

Breton can absorbing the Magic from other, hostile, people for 60 seconds if used their Dragonskin

Dunmer burned the opponent for 8 points if nearly, lasted for 60 seconds only once per day

Imperial can charming hostile people for 60 seconds and walk through a party

Khajiit can see in the dark and has better unarmed attacks (Claws) (Also is multiple use)

Nord has a Battle cry that making opponent wet their pants and ran away for 30 seconds

Orsimer has Berserker Rage that take half damage and throw double damage

Redguard can regenerating their Stamina quickly once per day for 60 seconds

So tell me they are not that difference!
I used to be hearing person like you, until I took the fever in my ears. ~FredCat

User Info: Xydru

Xydru
4 years ago#49
Dunno, but I don't start to learn about new games until after its released.
I'm just glad races didn't turn out that way.
Sorry baby, I was off being a swan for Leda. She loves that kinky stuff.

User Info: LordTalyn

LordTalyn
4 years ago#50
clone11 posted...
obishawn posted...
clone11 posted...
obishawn posted...
LolOkay posted...

Okay, I found it.

Wasn't that from the Demo made just for the event? Sabotaging the Lumber-mill was probably in...until moved to the main game it was decided to make it cut content. There are many things between the Demo and Actual Game that due change.

For example: The quest for the Golden Claw, leading to Bleak Falls Barrow at the beginning of the game with Arven in the webs...does not actually have a dragon sitting on top of the Barrow. Some things were made for presentation, other things were changed or cut content.

Just like with Werewolves..It was stated there were no werewolves in Skyrim at this time. Doesn't mean the day after that interview they didn't work on adding Werewolves. Things change between development and release.

As for the races...they are drastically different from Oblivion's appearance, more uniquely featured. There are also some race specific dialog throughout the game. Orcs are welcomed at strongholds. Argonians can get a "tail worn as a belt" as a random comment. Khajit can be told they will make a good rug...etc. There is race specific dialog if you actually look for it and pay attention.
Currently Playing: TES V: Skyrim, WWE '13, Mass Effect 1-3, Halo 4. Waiting for: Dragonborn DLC
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Remember when todd howard said races would be more different from each other

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived