Why is Skyrim freezing my Xbox up so much?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Why is Skyrim freezing my Xbox up so much?

User Info: zerooo0

zerooo0
4 years ago#1
I got the older phat models, but I have it installed to the HDD. I got my Xbox back when CoD:W@W came out.(Forgot when it was released) So I know it's old, and it may get the RROD soon.(Hopefully not until I get my Asus G55VW)

So any idea why it's freezing so much lately?

My Xbox handles BF3, Borderlands 2, Forza Horizon, Halo 4, Black Ops 2, RDR, and all of my other games well. Never freezes on them. Well maybe once in a blue moon, but not as often as Skyrim does.

Thanks to anyone that helps.
I play games for fun.
I also like Microsoft, Nintendo,and Sony all equally.

User Info: CRK44

CRK44
4 years ago#2
it could be due to scratched disk? thats why mine freezes often
Jarl Ballin'

User Info: Sparklelord

Sparklelord
4 years ago#3
Clear the cache if its a serious problem.
Too lazy to find the link, but check the search bar for "cache" and I'm sure you'll find it.

Clearing the cache increases load times after you first do it, but it is necessary evil.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0qLhAOPI2Y

User Info: Fate_Assassin

Fate_Assassin
4 years ago#4
Did you clean the fans on it? Also for Skyrim try clearing the in-game cache. This happened to me with just Skyrim and that worked.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
1/14/2013, shipment date

User Info: zerobobo

zerobobo
4 years ago#5
i have a pretty old elite model xbox, he's a nice fatty but he stays true.
nothing really locks up for me ever since i take very good care of it. mines even propped up on a little stand so it gets maximum airflow.

if its JUST skyrim thats locking up i doubt its your xbox, past launch generation 360;s they're pretty solid pieces of hardware.
try deleting the installed game and reinstalling it.
Gamertag: Clonedzero

User Info: zerooo0

zerooo0
4 years ago#6
CRK44 posted...

I have the game installed to my HDD, so that shouldn't be a problem.(I hope)

I'll try clearing the cache when I get back on. Will it delete my save file? Also how do you "Clear the Cache" to a specific game? Or do you do it to the whole Xbox.

Also I never take my Xbox apart. Too nervous that I may mess something up in that thing.

If all else fails, I'll try Reinstalling it to the HDD.

Much appreciated for the help so far.
I play games for fun.
I also like Microsoft, Nintendo,and Sony all equally.

User Info: rush86

rush86
4 years ago#7
CRK44 posted...

If he has it installed then thats not the issue

Fate_Assassin
4 years ago#8
When I said the fans I meant the vents on the Xbox where the air comes out, sorry about the confusion. For the cache it won't delete your save, and the buttons for it are Lt + Rt + X.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
1/14/2013, shipment date

User Info: Sparklelord

Sparklelord
4 years ago#9
zerooo0 posted...
CRK44 posted...

I have the game installed to my HDD, so that shouldn't be a problem.(I hope)

I'll try clearing the cache when I get back on. Will it delete my save file? Also how do you "Clear the Cache" to a specific game? Or do you do it to the whole Xbox.

Also I never take my Xbox apart. Too nervous that I may mess something up in that thing.

If all else fails, I'll try Reinstalling it to the HDD.

Much appreciated for the help so far.

No clearing the cache does not delete saves.
You do it by holding certain buttons when you start the game, again too lazy to check which.

Whenever you enter a room or area the game "remembers".
Later when you go there, the game uses this "memory" to make it easier to load (a useful feature in large games like Skyrim).

Occasionally too much "memory" bogs things down, causing a crash.
Clearing the cache just deletes the games junk files like it does on your computer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0qLhAOPI2Y

Fate_Assassin
4 years ago#10
Does anyone know what happened Brian he was usually the one who could fix these problems?
1/14/2013, shipment date
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Why is Skyrim freezing my Xbox up so much?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived