Questions for those of you who have successfully done a pure mage playthrough

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Questions for those of you who have successfully done a pure mage playthrough

User Info: fatclemenza

fatclemenza
4 years ago#1
1) Did you use Bound weapons at all? I could see them coming in handy for fights that are up-close and personal.

2) What was your primary spell for offense? I hope to not have to rely on Impact + Fireball spam to beat everyone. That's cheesy.

3) Did you wear armor? Or rely on the Alteration armor spells?

4) Did you go heavy in Enchanting?

5) In what order should I invest points to the magic trees?

Thank you.
He's a well respected man about town,
Doing the best things so conservatively

User Info: am0ngth3c1ouds

am0ngth3c1ouds
4 years ago#2
My pure mage was a hell of a lot of fun.

You will have times where you need to use Dual Cast Impact destruction spells..
I went heavily intro Conjuration, the atronach side. That is a HUGE part of doing damage and surviving as a pure mage. Didn't bother with bound weapons because they're weak with placing points in the relevant weapon skills.

Enchanting is heavily recommended.. particularly the middle path.
Maxed out, you can have up to 2 schools of magic be completely free to cast, or 4 schools of magic 50% cheaper to cast.. basically you get 8 slots with Extra Effect (2 Head, 2 Chest, 2 Neck, 2 Rin).. and your Fortify Destr, Rest, etc skills will be a 25% reduction. Combine them as you see fit.

I didn't bother with wearing any armor, being a pure mage, but I also didn't bother with the Mage Armor perks. Between summons, healing spells, wards and Flesh spells, it wasn't all that hard to survive. Even easier if you have a follower.

User Info: FreeMan5407

FreeMan5407
4 years ago#3
fatclemenza posted...
1) Did you use Bound weapons at all? I could see them coming in handy for fights that are up-close and personal.

2) What was your primary spell for offense? I hope to not have to rely on Impact + Fireball spam to beat everyone. That's cheesy.

3) Did you wear armor? Or rely on the Alteration armor spells?

4) Did you go heavy in Enchanting?

5) In what order should I invest points to the magic trees?

Thank you.

1) i remember using it a few times but i use the other spells more cause i was playing on master
2) im sorry but you have to rely on impact and for the use of the other elementals it depend on the difference , on master you mustly wan to use fire but adept or lower ice still do decent damage
3) alteration but you can use light or heavy, alteration require more managing because is a temporary effect
4) somehow
5) depend of your favorite magic skill, i do destruction,restoration , alteration,conjuration and enchanting but it the end i level up all

fatclemenza
4 years ago#4
Thank you.

User Info: FreeMan5407

FreeMan5407
4 years ago#5
fatclemenza posted...
Is there a best race to use?

any race really, but high elf and breton seem the more appropriate

am0ngth3c1ouds
4 years ago#6
Illusion is extremely powerful, but really requires the entire tree to be worth-while.
You can stop attackers, make them flee, or even better.. make them fight each other.

Typical battles for me went like.. Summon an Atronach, cast Flesh spell of current rank, Calm an enemy, Frenzy another... THEN start in with the Destruction. Heal yourself and follower when necessary

User Info: TaigaWilliam

TaigaWilliam
4 years ago#7
Illusion, Sneak, and Conjuration alone can decimate the game. Lean on sneak and Illusion (Fury) to get a body to raise, if you want Necromancy. Lean on Fear and some Fury alongside Atronauchs, if you prefer more classical summoning. There are many, many purely magical paths to victory. You can also go with any type of armor or no armor at all. Just let us know what branches of magic you want to run as primary and we can give you tips to make it work.
“I put the bastards of this world on notice that I do not have their best interests at heart."

fatclemenza
4 years ago#8
Typical battles for me went like.. Summon an Atronach, cast Flesh spell of current rank, Calm an enemy, Frenzy another... THEN start in with the Destruction. Heal yourself and follower when necessary

That sounds like a blast lol. Who is a good follower for early game, then late game?

am0ngth3c1ouds
4 years ago#9
fatclemenza posted...

That sounds like a blast lol. Who is a good follower for early game, then late game?

I favored heavily armored melee followers like Lydia, Uthgerd, etc. When you join the College... J'zargo takes the cake. Not only is he proficient with Destruction, but also One-Handed AND Heavy Armor.

User Info: TaigaWilliam

TaigaWilliam
4 years ago#10

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Followers

Early game: Anyone.

Later game: most anyone who can get to level 40+, along with some of them that only make it to 30.
"When a man is late, he is cool. When a woman is late, she is pregnant. Remember, always wear watches and condoms." Gunter Vogler - Bullet in the Face
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Questions for those of you who have successfully done a pure mage playthrough

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived