Side with Dawnguard + Be a Vampire?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Side with Dawnguard + Be a Vampire?

User Info: auronrenouille

auronrenouille
4 years ago#1
I know it's not very good roleplay, but... I'm going to start a new replay when Patch 1.9 comes out because my current game has encountered too many fun-killing bugs, including the Marked for Death/Drain Vitality/Arngeir shout wall bug, where I didn't even realize the problem until it was too late - it appears that I'd have to go back 30 levels or more so to fix that, and by then I may as well start fresh. My Lydia also vanished with the Shield of Solitude, and I now know that the Shield's magic resistance would have opened up a lot of great options for enchanting :(. I always end up playing a stealth character but I'd like to add magic to the mix - usually I shy away from mage characters in Elder Scrolls games but I'd like to give it a try.

Point being, I played the Dawnguard DLC to completion on the vampire side, and I strongly prefer vampirism over lycanthropy; I don't care for either vampire lord or werewolf forms, but it appears that vampirism has far more benefits in human form than lycanthropy does. I also love Serana as a follower; she sneaks well, good for my stealth play style, and she seems to actually be pretty useful. And I hate ending the storyline stuck with two Elder Scrolls, even if they don't actually weigh the 40lb that the game shows them as weighing.

So can I pick Dawnguard side, ending the quest line both as a vampire and with Serana as a follower? If I become a vampire when I enter the Soul Cairn, I think I'd have to cure it, but can I cure it and then go vampire again afterwards via Serana? I have the impression that Serana makes it a revolving door, whereby I can cure/become vampire multiple times?

I don't have to figure it out immediately, as I know that I have to delete Dawnguard until I learn all three Marked for Death shouts - thankfully, I always join the Dark Brotherhood early in the game, so that'll be doable at least.
- Time is a river, and history repeats.

User Info: zane0144

zane0144
4 years ago#2
auronrenouille posted...
So can I pick Dawnguard side, ending the quest line both as a vampire and with Serana as a follower? If I become a vampire when I enter the Soul Cairn, I think I'd have to cure it, but can I cure it and then go vampire again afterwards via Serana? I have the impression that Serana makes it a revolving door, whereby I can cure/become vampire multiple times?

Yes, yes, and yes
Song of the Day: Battle for Freedom FFXII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PjEN-zFlDQ

User Info: SolidSaiyan

SolidSaiyan
4 years ago#3
It doesn't matter who you side with the quest still plays out exactly the same and Serena will turn u into a vampire lord after u finish the quest line if u wish.

auronrenouille
4 years ago#4
Interesting, thanks.

So I finished the Dawnguard main quest line as a vampire but kept being attacked by the Dawnguard - if I finish it on the other side, do the vampire attacks continue?

User Info: martingolding96

martingolding96
4 years ago#5
vampire attacks continue regardless of the side you choice they just become less frequent

User Info: kodosatoz

kodosatoz
4 years ago#6
Not to commandeer the topic, but I don't want to start a new one for a relevant question...

Just so I'm clear in reading this, I can do Dawnguard, siding with DG and get a fully upgraded Crossbow, and STILL become a Vampire Lord?
GT - Kodos Atoz
http://ddogmachat.chatango.com/ - Live Xbox 360 Dragon's Dogma chat. Q&A, Ur-Dragon Updates, Trades, General Chat

User Info: martingolding96

martingolding96
4 years ago#7
as long as serana isn't cured of vamparism yes

User Info: DocOdine

DocOdine
4 years ago#8
kodosatoz posted...
Not to commandeer the topic, but I don't want to start a new one for a relevant question...

Just so I'm clear in reading this, I can do Dawnguard, siding with DG and get a fully upgraded Crossbow, and STILL become a Vampire Lord?

Yes. You give up some bonuses, though. Like 2 amulets/rings to boost vampire lord, a chalice blessing to drain, and the ability to turn your spouse.
Life is a concert, and I'll be your closing act.

auronrenouille
4 years ago#9
Cool, good to know. Those bonuses don't sound all that hot to me; I tried to use Vampire Lord in some necromancer-occupied forts but ended up just beating on my followers; I'll stick with my play style of putting arrows through everyone's faces :).
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Side with Dawnguard + Be a Vampire?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived