Anybody else prefer Oblivion lock picking

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Anybody else prefer Oblivion lock picking

User Info: Webstedge

Webstedge
4 years ago#31
So am I the only dude who likes Skyrim's lockpicking the best? I don't actually know anything about lockpicking but the mechanics of it make me feel like I might be doing something that someone actually does when they pick a lock. I like that, and I like how you have to do try-and-error to find the sweet spot. It all seems more real and immersive to me.
https://p.twimg.com/AirgRzVCEAAPBp6.jpg

User Info: Joe_Cobbs

Joe_Cobbs
4 years ago#32
Bashing a lock open should just be loud and attract attention to you. That way stealth characters still have a reason for lockpicks. And mages get their open spell back which also isn't very stealthy without something like silent casting.

User Info: Carruth81

Carruth81
4 years ago#33
Webstedge posted...
So am I the only dude who likes Skyrim's lockpicking the best? I don't actually know anything about lockpicking but the mechanics of it make me feel like I might be doing something that someone actually does when they pick a lock. I like that, and I like how you have to do try-and-error to find the sweet spot. It all seems more real and immersive to me.

No I was happy to see them switch to this method as well. The only skill OB's lock picking required was hand-eye coordination or else the tumbler would slam down and break your pick.
I'm going to kill you slowly. Painfully. WITH A YAK. ~Demon Hunters
A Dragon without a soul is like a Gamefaqs forum without silly tangents

User Info: Aggrobiscuit

Aggrobiscuit
4 years ago#34
lunarsword posted...
Obviously, since it required skill rather than total guesswork. Besides, I don't see a medieval fantasy world having modern style locking mechanisms like Fallout/Skyrim

How does Fallout/Skyrim have the modern locking mechanisms when they only have one pin to pick? If anything Oblivions system is more modern than either since it had what, 5 pins?

Medieval locks were more primitive, since they didn't have fancy stuff like magnetic pins or other modern methods to try and make locks unpickable, but they surely had more than a single pin! You can tell that just by looking at a medieval key.

As someone who does lockpicking as a hobby, I'd really prefer a realistic system where the entire thing is done by feel (this is fairly easy to do on a gaming pad, but not so great for those playing on mouse and keyboard) and would like to have a torque wrench as well as a pick instead of just a single pick.

Obviously this would have to exist as a settable option since it would be frustrating as heck for people who don't wanna get all hardcore about getting inside a treasure chest that contains a pair of iron gloves and a mouldy apple.
Beth fanboy logic: "This rat poison comes in a bigger container than this champagne, so clearly it's the better value." Duckyhunter

User Info: HoonDing

HoonDing
4 years ago#35
Lockpicking, bashing, and Open spells all need to exist. Hell, I don't even think Lockpicking should be a full-fledged skill, as much as it should be a player-skill based minigame. Lockpicking should happen in real time.

Bashing and Open need some cons to offset their usefulness over Lockpicking, though. Bashing makes a f***ton of noise, that's easy enough; who ever heard of a master cat burglar brute forcing his way into a mansion with a mace? Daggers shouldn't be able to bash, either; not even sure if swords should.

Open's a bit tricky. Why bother investing in a Lockpicking skill at all, when you can instead master a skill that offers a ton of other useful toys for thieves? Maybe make it a streaming spell, like Flames, that's really loud, bright, and takes more time to work depending on the quality of the lock. Maybe make it a spell exclusive to scrolls; this would be better if scroll-crafting was possible, so that it still reflected character skill.
Don't let the dragon drag on!

User Info: Perma-n00b

Perma-n00b
4 years ago#36
I prefer skyrims system..... Simple and quick.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Anybody else prefer Oblivion lock picking

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived