Okay I'm ready to start dawngaurd

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Okay I'm ready to start dawngaurd

User Info: Big_Nabendu

Big_Nabendu
4 months ago#1
With my of 42 high elf mage

Should I be a vampire before I start?
Any tips or suggestions to make my journey easier?
This is my vampire run so if I work on the vampire side, are there missable achievements for the werewolf side besides the tree perks?
Dashboard or die, forest ganker.
GT Nabendu \[T]/ Owner of 500 and Leader of sunbro board

User Info: Sephirothe

Sephirothe
4 months ago#2
You do not need to be a vampire before you start. It will change the starting dialogue very slightly, but other than that nothing will be different. You actually might want to not be a vamp at first until after you meet the Dawnguard for the first time. Not sure if they'll talk to you if you are. If you want the different dialogue just get infected after accepting the first quest from the Dawnguard to investigate vamp activity.

Not really. If you were starting Dragonborn I'd tell you to save up some dragon souls to avoid a headache during the questline, but nothing like that needed for Dawnguard.

I don't think there are any missable achievements other than the ones you mentioned (although you can get all the werewolf perks + achievements without actually joining the Dawnguard). There are some missable weapons + spells (although there is a work around for most, if not all, the spells).
"It would imply the regeneration of mankind, if they were to become elevated enough to truly worship sticks and stones" - Henry David Thoreau

Big_Nabendu
4 months ago#3
Wait are you saying I need to start the main quest to finish dlc?

User Info: Sephirothe

Sephirothe
4 months ago#4
You need to start the MQ (Specifically, retrieve the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller) to start Dragonborn.
You do not need to have started the MQ to do Dawnguard
"It would imply the regeneration of mankind, if they were to become elevated enough to truly worship sticks and stones" - Henry David Thoreau

Big_Nabendu
4 months ago#5
All right
I already did the mq on one file. Just looking to wrap up about 20 cheevos to finish game.

Can I get a follower in both dlc?

User Info: kingleomon13

kingleomon13
4 months ago#6
in Dawnguard you get Serana during the first quest then she becomes unavailable for a quest or two then joins back up with you in Dragonborn i know you get Frea (i think that's her name it's been a while since i played Dragonborn) there might be others but those are the only ones i'm sure of.
the only thing we should fear is fear itself

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
4 months ago#7
Big_Nabendu posted...

This is related to a bug. Once you accept Harkon's "gift" you'll want to earn your Vampire Lord perks without Serana. If you want to have her around afterward expect to be fighting on the ground with your claws a lot more than you would otherwise.

Vampire Lords have a Lifedrain spell that functions like Fireball, dealing lots of damage up front and having an Absorb effect that lingers for a moment afterward. But if Serana is your follower the front end damage is set to zero and the spell then has trouble killing even a goat.

Also, as someone mentioned there are several Restoration spells on the Dawnguard side that you normally can't get. However, if you have a good Pacify spell you can talk to the members normally to get the spells. IIRC it's Sorine and Florentius that have the spells.

Followers: Of course both sides have followers for Dawnguard, human and animal. Dragonborn is an entire separate land mass and as such has followers and hirelings. The animal followers on the vampire side of Dawnguard are terrible though since they're stuck at one of the lowest levels possible; a strong sneeze can kill them.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

User Info: BlackestGarden

BlackestGarden
4 months ago#8
Big_Nabendu posted...
With my of 42 high elf mage

Should I be a vampire before I start?
This is my vampire run so if I work on the vampire side, are there missable achievements for the werewolf side besides the tree perks?

I hope you got all the perks that are effected by necromage after you become a vampire. I run much of the same Necromage Pure Mage High Elf Vampire

User Info: Katsuro

Katsuro
4 months ago#9
Sephirothe posted...
You need to start the MQ (Specifically, retrieve the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller) to start Dragonborn.
You do not need to have started the MQ to do Dawnguard

Actually, you don't. What you can do is right after becoming whiterun thane (which starts the quest to see the greybeards), is head to solsteim, grab the bend will shout and then cleanse the wind stone. Speak to the shaman and he directs you to the temple where frea is and the quest starts normally.

You never have to step a toe on the 7k steps, let alone speak to the mutes lol.
Creating a Bandit Kings of Ancient China themed MMO

Big_Nabendu
4 months ago#10
Still start the main quest tho

The moment when u see a dragon with Lydia it begins
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Okay I'm ready to start dawngaurd

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived