Some hearthfire questions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Some hearthfire questions

User Info: hp_of_legend

hp_of_legend
1 month ago#1
Hi everyone, I just started playing Skyrim again after 4 years and I have some questions about the Hearthfire houses.

1. Can your wife/steward/housecarl be killed during a random attack on your house while you are not there?

2. If your wife/steward/housecarl is killed are you able to replace them?

3. Are the housecarls able to switch locations? Such as Rayya being able to move to Windstad instead of being at Lakeview? Because I am wanting to build my "main" house at Windstad and would like to have Rayya as my housecarl.

4. Are bedrooms a necessary wing needed to be built in order to have your kids live with you or are the beds on the second floor sufficient?

Thanks in advance everyone for your help!
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
3DS FC 3668-8552-6912 IGN Adam

User Info: rulerBob8

rulerBob8
1 month ago#2
1. Pretty sure you have to be there but yes, they can die
2. Only the steward
3. Only if you make them steward I think
4. Yes
OFFICIAL CAPTAIN BOOMERANG OF INJUSTICE 2 BOARD, OFFICIAL HAWKEYE OF MVC:I BOARD
Mark Hamill. Coincidence? I think not.

User Info: Divided_By_One

Divided_By_One
1 month ago#3
1. Unless you marry/hire someone Essential, then yes your spouse/steward can die. Spouses do become Protected, so enemies will try to spare them once they are low on health, but area effects, poisons, etc. might end up finishing them. Pretty sure housecarls are also Protected. Stewards... Maybe also protected?

2. I don't think either can be replaced, but the steward can't according to the wiki:
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Personal_Steward
Unless you are playing on PC and can use console commands.

3. Well, she should be able to be the House Carl of her location, but the steward of another. Then she'd hang out where she's a steward. I'd assume.

4. No, the basic 2nd floor is good enough, provided you get the beds and dressers for them. Make absolutely sure to do so before trying to adopt them though or it might be a pain to convince them you actually upgraded it. Also, with only 2 small beds and a double bed, some people won't get to sleep at night if you have 2 kids, a spouse, a bard, a housecarl and a steward. But they just sit in chairs or wander a bit. Pretty sure the kids and wife get priority for beds, not that it matters.

Edited for clarity, then again for typos
"He who knows does not speak. He who speaks does not know." -Lao Tzu

User Info: hp_of_legend

hp_of_legend
1 month ago#4
Thanks so much for the feedback! It's helped out my planning of my house a great deal and I now know what direction I should be aiming for. Here's a rough outline of what I'm going for, for those that are interested.

Going to marry Mjol since she's unkillable(don't want my kids to have to fend for themselves when I'm not around, should I marry someone else and they die)

Steward is going to be Rayya and use whoever the housecarl is that comes with it as the housecarl. (I'll be sure to deck them out with full daedric)

Windstad manor: bedroom, library, and trophy room.

Bedroom so that all may have a bed and for guests should I have any. (RPing purposes)

Trophy and Library so that I can show my kids how their father went from a lowly prisoner to the master of Skyrim and ruler of all who live in it and to allow the bard to gain enlightenment to sing epic songs of my travels and accomplishments.
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
3DS FC 3668-8552-6912 IGN Adam

User Info: Katsuro

Katsuro
1 month ago#5
hp_of_legend posted...
Thanks so much for the feedback! It's helped out my planning of my house a great deal and I now know what direction I should be aiming for. Here's a rough outline of what I'm going for, for those that are interested.

Going to marry Mjol since she's unkillable(don't want my kids to have to fend for themselves when I'm not around, should I marry someone else and they die)

Steward is going to be Rayya and use whoever the housecarl is that comes with it as the housecarl. (I'll be sure to deck them out with full daedric)

Windstad manor: bedroom, library, and trophy room.

Bedroom so that all may have a bed and for guests should I have any. (RPing purposes)

Trophy and Library so that I can show my kids how their father went from a lowly prisoner to the master of Skyrim and ruler of all who live in it and to allow the bard to gain enlightenment to sing epic songs of my travels and accomplishments.

There are a couple essential (unkillable) spouses, Ysolda and Senns come to mind, should you want a "normal looking" wife.

If you build the bedroom wing, i do believe that will adjust the children, steward and housecarls sleeping arrangements. I may be mistaken tho, or other requirements to alter sleeping (assuming you are using the wing for guests and upstairs for yourself). Bedroom wing is nicer, tho no privacy for "adventuring"

Oh, for the Daedric on Rayya deal, once she is dismissed she will revert back to her default look. The only way I know to fully change on a perm basis is inducting a steward into the blades. Housecarls will give up their post and move to the temple
Creating a Bandit Kings of Ancient China themed MMO
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Some hearthfire questions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived