Not seen anyone talk about this, but Falkreath should be at the bottom of a lake

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Not seen anyone talk about this, but Falkreath should be at the bottom of a lake

User Info: IIJOSEPHXII

IIJOSEPHXII
3 months ago#1
This has been on my mind for awhile now, and I thought at first it was just artistic license by the developers, but it looks like this has been done on purpose and no one has noticed it yet.

No water flows into Lake Illinata - it only flows out - the White River, between the guardian stones and Anise's Cabin, and at Half-Moon Mill. That stream at Half-Moon Mill ends in the little pool at Evergreen Grove. Now if you look at the other outflow at the White River, it is powering massive waterfalls. This force should be equal at Half-Moon Mill.

I know you might say the cut is deeper at the White River, but if that were the case, Half-Moon Mill Would dry up.

Now if you explore the area around Falkreath, you will notice the city sits in a bowl, lower than the surface of Lake Illinata. There are no streams flowing into Lake Illinata, but there are three streams flowing into this bowl (four if you include Half-Moon Mill). What should happen in the real world is that these streams shoul fill this bowl,, then the water at Half-Moon Mill should flow in the other direction.

Here's the mystery- the lowest point of this bowl is the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary - and the lowest point the is the little pool where you get Shadowmere. The word mere is an old English word meaning "lake."

The streams end mysteriously too. One ends where you kill the white Hart during Ill Met By Moonlight, another at the Twilight Sepulchre and the wate that flows out of Shriekwind Bastion, disappears into a gutter after powering the mill in Falkreath.

I think it is Daedric power and magic that is keeping Falkreath from being submerged, but it goes back to a time before the ancient Nords, because there is a word wall in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. Maybe someone who knows more about the lore can add to this, but I think it's an explanation and they haven't made Falkreath carelessly.

User Info: SinisterSandman

SinisterSandman
3 months ago#2
Interesting. Not something I'd have ever thought to look at, I'll be honest. I like how it ends at Shadowmere's shallows... I thought maybe a static void or something, slow draining maybe.
Gum-Gum Gummi Ship: Blueprint Active!
"The show where everything's made up and the points don't matter! Let's have some fun!"

User Info: Katsuro

Katsuro
3 months ago#3
Real world...

That kills everything right there lol.

Regardless, the laws of physics do not exist in Skyrim. We have horses who can trot up a mountain to the throat of the world, yet get stopped dead in its tracks by a butterfly. That's not mentioning how giants launch people to Secunda either.

I love my Falkreath the way it is :p
Creating a Bandit Kings of Ancient China themed MMO

User Info: Harokaihime

Harokaihime
3 months ago#4
The moral is, Shadowmere drinks a lot of water.
Puns about steaks are rare well done.

User Info: FactoidHunter

FactoidHunter
3 months ago#5
Here a better question: Where does the water coming from Dragonreach in White run flow from? Also, the flow barely come out at the gate. The stream goes dry after a little while.

This sort of thing reminds me of a game on PS2: Star Ocean: till the end of time. There was an orb in an underground temple where water would flow from even if there was no source. They called that a OOPA (out of place artifact) where a civilization couldn't have designed something this advanced.

Turn out the universe is a big video game and this artifact had been placed there to fix a problem with the environment of the planet it's on

I never took the hydrographic map of Skyrim seriously. I just hope that future installments would be more realistic on such matters.

User Info: MertensCW

MertensCW
3 months ago#6
Harokaihime posted...
The moral is, Shadowmere drinks a lot of water.

Makes perfect sense.
Mystery solved.
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.

User Info: Wiaru

Wiaru
3 months ago#7
I'm more troubled by the number of residents greatly exceeding the number of houses and beds in the game.
END TRANSMISSION

User Info: Darg727

Darg727
3 months ago#8
Wiaru posted...
I'm more troubled by the number of residents greatly exceeding the number of houses and beds in the game.

Ever heard of homelessness?

User Info: Sephirothe

Sephirothe
3 months ago#9
Karst topography. The water continues to flow underground (sinkholes, cave systems, etc)
"It would imply the regeneration of mankind, if they were to become elevated enough to truly worship sticks and stones" - Henry David Thoreau

User Info: Katsuro

Katsuro
3 months ago#10
If people are actually being serious about water flow, has no one ever heard of springs? If you follow most creeks, they end up in a crack that likely runs to an underground water system.
Creating a Bandit Kings of Ancient China themed MMO
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Not seen anyone talk about this, but Falkreath should be at the bottom of a lake

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived