A new player

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: Sephirothe

Sephirothe
2 months ago#11
SusanGreenEyes posted...
Sephirothe posted...
Save your game and attack the first giant camp you come across. Emphasis on "save your game"

Mix up a few potions of Canis Root and Imp Stool to paralyze the giants before attacking. Your potions will be very weak so you will need to plan on using 3 potions per giant.
You can't paralyze mammoths with the potion but it may stun them for a second.
Only attack the giant if there aren't mammoths there.

I was more referencing the whole getting "launched into space" thing when you get destroyed by them by picking a fight at a low level
"It would imply the regeneration of mankind, if they were to become elevated enough to truly worship sticks and stones" - Henry David Thoreau

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#12
Sephirothe posted...
SusanGreenEyes posted...
Sephirothe posted...
Save your game and attack the first giant camp you come across. Emphasis on "save your game"

Mix up a few potions of Canis Root and Imp Stool to paralyze the giants before attacking. Your potions will be very weak so you will need to plan on using 3 potions per giant.

I was more referencing the whole getting "launched into space" thing when you get destroyed by them by picking a fight at a low level

I can kill giants at level one straight from Helgen any race, there is a glitch that is not readily known that renders them harmless.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

User Info: SusanGreenEyes

SusanGreenEyes
1 month ago#13
Olld-Onne posted...
Sephirothe posted...
SusanGreenEyes posted...
Sephirothe posted...

I can kill giants at level one straight from Helgen any race, there is a glitch that is not readily known that renders them harmless.

How does that glitch work?
Been a murder, over in Riften. Some old lady who runs an orphanage. Those poor children must be heartbroken.

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#14
The method to kill giants is not particularly fast but it is what happens to them that is more important.

Straight from Helgen you need to go to Riverwood and buy Frostbite spell.

Find a giant and coat it liberally with the spell. This is the interesting part, unlike every other enemy the giants cannot regain there stamina and are pretty much permanently stuck in walk mode which allows you to toast them with flames from a safe distance.

I believe it is a coding glitch of some sort but it affects all giants and you can actually get a whole gaggle following you if performed correctly (dont get hit).

You will have to note that they can still do the ground slam move if they get in range which contradicts the complete loss of stamina but is why you need to stay at enough distance at level 1.

They sometimes recover but this is quite rare and you can just stamina drain them again. If you lose there attention by hiding it will also reset their stamina. If you change cells and go back it obviously resets their stamina as well.

As with Susan's potion it is ill advised to do this with Mammoths present as they do not suffer the glitch and will quickly avenge their giant comrades if alerted to your shenanigans.

SusanGreenEyes
1 month ago#15
Try using Command Animal or the Animal Allegiance shout on a mammoth at a Giant Camp and see what happens.
Been a murder, over in Riften. Some old lady who runs an orphanage. Those poor children must be heartbroken.

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#16
SusanGreenEyes posted...
Try using Command Animal or the Animal Allegiance shout on a mammoth at a Giant Camp and see what happens.

This can get your follower killed as they still target them and will attack even if they go into the down faze which is certain death. Derkeethus and Mjoll not included of course.

User Info: sconekiller

sconekiller
1 month ago#17
Olld-Onne posted...
buy Frostbite spell. Find a giant and coat it liberally with the spell. This is the interesting part, unlike every other enemy the giants cannot regain there stamina and are pretty much permanently stuck in walk mode

I guess this explains why they are so susceptible to the Poison of Slow: no matter how powerful the potion it puts them in the walk mode until you are done with them (even if it says "50% for 30 seconds"); which makes them much easier to handle. of course there's still the matter of dealing enough damage to finish them off, which can be tedious at low levels.

on my way to Whiterun I like to kite a giant or two over to the Western Watchtower and safely snipe them from within the entryway; then I collect my mammoth tusk to give to Ysolda and also any items left by the guards who fall attacking the giants

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#18
sconekiller posted...
Olld-Onne posted...
buy Frostbite spell. Find a giant and coat it liberally with the spell. This is the interesting part, unlike every other enemy the giants cannot regain there stamina and are pretty much permanently stuck in walk mode

I guess this explains why they are so susceptible to the Poison of Slow: no matter how powerful the potion it puts them in the walk mode until you are done with them (even if it says "50% for 30 seconds"); which makes them much easier to handle. of course there's still the matter of dealing enough damage to finish them off, which can be tedious at low levels.

on my way to Whiterun I like to kite a giant or two over to the Western Watchtower and safely snipe them from within the entryway; then I collect my mammoth tusk to give to Ysolda and also any items left by the guards who fall attacking the giants

Done this as well, easy cash for the guard crap and you get to level a skill of choice on the giant, preferably ranged of course.

I have another tactic which is extremely dangerous and more than likely will go wrong but is kind of funny to try.

I call it giant jousting.

It involves getting enough distant on the giant to make it run after you. When there is a gap you simply turn around and run straight at the giant and pass by as close as possible without touching the giant itself, the giant 90% of the time will attempt the slam maneuver to hit you. if done correct you should be able to run past the attack and get a few hits in on the giants back while it is recovering. You then repeat this to it is put in a down state for you to finish it off.

If you accidentally run into the giant it will stall you enough that it most likely will send you to the stars, if the giant does a different move then it may out right kill you if you cannot tank the hit. Best tried on a high level character but the objective is to not get hit at all.

User Info: sconekiller

sconekiller
1 month ago#19
learning to use the hotkeys will help the action flow a little smoother. I like to put my bow on hotkey 1 (left) and a torch or shield on hotkey 2 (right); then i'll run around with a sword in my right hand and healing spell in my left. at the flick of a button I can put my bow in action or having something I can block with (you can block with a torch). you might prefer to put a poison or health potion on your hotkey. otherwise you spend a lot of time going into the menus to change gear.

a note on blocking: at low levels bosses/chiefs will go right through your blocks, but you can still use the blocking motion to interrupt their attacks. you just can't stand there and go toe-to-toe with them. this is where followers and atronachs help take the focus off of you, so you can eliminate the enemy followers and then all gang up on the bosses/chiefs

SusanGreenEyes
1 month ago#20
TC, have you figured out your preferred play-style yet?

No matter which you choose, be sure to level up and put perks into Enchanting, Alchemy, and Smithing.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived