Why do people hold this as a standard for RPGs?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Why do people hold this as a standard for RPGs?

User Info: BlackChocoboSox

BlackChocoboSox
1 month ago#1
This game is not fun like it was 7 years ago when it first came out. We've all explored every dungeon about 100 times now and there's no new content to keep us going.

I don't even feel the combat is great enough for character builds to be really fun and unique, which is a big thing for me. I enjoy the hell out of Dark Souls for the build running and variety of play. I've also been enjoying Dragons Dogma DA more then I've enjoyed this game in a long time.

I talk to people who are gamers like at work and at gamestop. They always compare WRPGs like Witcher, Monster Hunter, Zelda LOTR, FFXV, and Dragons Dogma to this game and say it's "like skyrim"

I do not hold this as a standard for WRPGs and I don't want to play another Bethesda game like this. Why? Because it's not interesting anymore, this game has been outdone by other titles since then.

It's a beautiful open world, but it has a lot less novelty to me then it did when this game came out. Dungeons are all boring and repetitive, a lot of questlines are pretty lame and not even as fun as they were in Oblivion. I liked it when you had to actually earn your ranks through a guild instead of oh the leader dies and now you're the Speaker.

I'm glad that there aren't any games that are just like Skyrim, because this game is old. An open world with lackluster mechanics doesn't really peak my interest.

Depth and variety of character builds appeal to me more then endless bandit caves now.

I think Skyrim open world was outstanding for a time, but it now just feels empty.
PSN: S1lentSt0rmx
Playing: Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Battlefield 1/4.

User Info: DarkFalcon

DarkFalcon
1 month ago#2
Skyrim was kind of defining as one of the biggest and earliest (although, not exactly first) open-world WRPG's, so most people are gonna compare it to the earlier and bigger names of the genre, no matter if it is warranted or not.
Kind of like how people would do the same thing with Saints Row 1 and 2 being "GTA rip offs". (Although, 3 and 4 are a whole new beast, but would still be compared to GTA.)

User Info: MudShadow

MudShadow
1 month ago#3
Well the game is 7 years old and you know everything in the game so of course it's going to be dull. Especally a game such as Skyrim (or any TES game) which focuses mainly on exploration and discovery, and freedom of choice. But yes once you've made every choice and discovered all there is to discover then the game has run its course and time to move on.

User Info: Guide

Guide
1 month ago#4
There's only a very narrow scope of criticism that you can apply because a game got stale from playing it so much.

I mean, how can it -not- be a standard when, even in you complaints about it, you tell us how you've done every dungeon several times? That's only a good sign.
[ S p e e d b o o s t ]
https://youtu.be/Acn5IptKWQU

User Info: ShamblerQ

ShamblerQ
1 month ago#5
If a game is fun, you're going to replay it countless of times even though it may get stale after a while. That's why people to this day still play retro games like Mario Bros, Golden Eye, ect. There was no other Western RPG with the quality Skyrim had at the time, so it'll always have a special place in people's hearts.
http://i.imgur.com/1mXXnbo.gif

User Info: Angrywolves

Angrywolves
1 month ago#6
mods
I am surprised the tc acts like they don't exist...

User Info: dq93

dq93
1 month ago#7
Guide posted...
There's only a very narrow scope of criticism that you can apply because a game got stale from playing it so much.

I mean, how can it -not- be a standard when, even in you complaints about it, you tell us how you've done every dungeon several times? That's only a good sign.

exactly, this post is the equivalent of those steam reviews that says a game was alright but they have 1700 hours logged in, except those guys are obviously trolling.

User Info: tmac666

tmac666
1 month ago#8
Cause it's dope.
High Voltage Rock 'N' Roll
Ride On

User Info: Ic3Bullet

Ic3Bullet
1 month ago#9
Guide posted...

This is a really good point.

User Info: kentuckybob

kentuckybob
1 month ago#10
Roleplay.

Im playing a miner right now and having more fun than any of those RPG's you mentioned, which all involved being epic and doing epic things.

Skyrim lets you live in a game world as hero or commoner, read books in your house and pick herbs with your pet dog. None of those RPG's give you the same level of player written narrative.
"You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?"
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Why do people hold this as a standard for RPGs?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived