Skyrim appeal

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Jahh75

Jahh75
1 month ago#1
To most this will probably come off as a troll topic and I’m ok with that but realistically speaking, what’s the appeal ?

Graphics - Even on the PS4 Pro and a 4K monitor the game has aged extremely poorly. The world isn’t as bad as the character models but when compared to modern 4K games, it’s almost unplayable. Most caves, cities and other locations look completely identical. NPC’s walk around very unnaturally, almost robotic in nature.
Even the mods can’t help in this department.

Gameplay - Extremely clunky and repetitive. Missions are also repetitive with tons of fetch based side-missions.

Story - Really the only redeeming quality with all of the variable roll playing. But how many times can you repeat the same main missions over and over again even with a different playstyle?

I’m sorry but I just don’t see the appeal, much less why it’s always #1 on the gamefaqs board. I recently tried to reinstall and give it another go and I couldn’t play for more than a few hours, very cringe. Age has not been kind to this game. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

User Info: Redstar587

Redstar587
1 month ago#2
Most of the appeal comes from the open world feel of the game, where you can go basically anywhere once you get out of the tutorial dungeon, and the role playing aspects. The game has one of the biggest modding community of any game i have ever seen, so you can improve the graphics with some of those. Plus the lore of tes is f*** incredible and is almost as rich as real world lore. The game is not for everyone, and i haven't touched the game in several weeks, but there is a ton to love about the game.
people are so serious nowadays. Sometimes you just have to sit back and look at what your angry about, and laugh at yourself.

User Info: mooreandrew58

mooreandrew58
1 month ago#3
for me its just one of the better games (the series in general. also to say fallout games) for roleplaying. come up with a backstory for your character in your head and stick to it as you play, basing every decision you make based on, "would my character do that" i've had a character before (in morrowind though) that I decided was obsessed with anything dwemer. wore nothing but dwemer armor, used nothing but dwemer weapons, and filled my house with random dwemer items you could find in the ruins. was roleplaying that she fancied herself a researcher of dwemer history.

had a character in skyrim that was a really f***ed up evil type, killed some kids parents, soul trapped them, used the master necromancy spell to make them permanent thralls, with dead parents the kids ended up being adoptable so I adopted them, used the soul gems with their parents souls to enchant some daggers, gave them to the kids as gifts, and would once in awhile murder their parents again right in front of them only to revive them yet again. favorite time was when the kids where out and about and I killed their mother again and left her in their bedroom. I was downstairs whipping up a potion when I heard the girl scream "WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!" yep she found her mothers corpse. also made Ulfric a thrall for awhile since this character was a high elf and we just all know how much ulfric loves the idea of serving elves.

while skyrim and fallout 4 lost some appeal to older fans since its less like a true rpg game, I feel the roleplaying aspect has gotten better since in both you are given some more options like getting married or having a lover. hell in skyrim you can even have a family, only wish you could legit have a kid instead of just adopting one. and radiant quests allow you to keep the roleplaying going even once you've exhausted all the story/faction quests.
Cid- "looks like that overgrown lobster just got served!" Bartz-"with cheese biscuts AND mashed potatoes!"

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
1 month ago#4
It's the physical world space, and mods.

If you're the sort of gamer who demands 4k graphics, or consequences to all of your actions as with The Witcher 3, then Bethesda games simply aren't for you. That's fine. You'll catch flak for it if you then go around and insist, as others do, that 'Bethesda is a terrible company that must be high as a kite to release such horrible, boring games'.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#5
mooreandrew58 posted...
for me its just one of the better games (the series in general. also to say fallout games) for roleplaying. come up with a backstory for your character in your head and stick to it as you play, basing every decision you make based on, "would my character do that" i've had a character before (in morrowind though) that I decided was obsessed with anything dwemer. wore nothing but dwemer armor, used nothing but dwemer weapons, and filled my house with random dwemer items you could find in the ruins. was roleplaying that she fancied herself a researcher of dwemer history.

had a character in skyrim that was a really f***ed up evil type, killed some kids parents, soul trapped them, used the master necromancy spell to make them permanent thralls, with dead parents the kids ended up being adoptable so I adopted them, used the soul gems with their parents souls to enchant some daggers, gave them to the kids as gifts, and would once in awhile murder their parents again right in front of them only to revive them yet again. favorite time was when the kids where out and about and I killed their mother again and left her in their bedroom. I was downstairs whipping up a potion when I heard the girl scream "WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!" yep she found her mothers corpse. also made Ulfric a thrall for awhile since this character was a high elf and we just all know how much ulfric loves the idea of serving elves.

while skyrim and fallout 4 lost some appeal to older fans since its less like a true rpg game, I feel the roleplaying aspect has gotten better since in both you are given some more options like getting married or having a lover. hell in skyrim you can even have a family, only wish you could legit have a kid instead of just adopting one. and radiant quests allow you to keep the roleplaying going even once you've exhausted all the story/faction quests.

Your High Elf is quite the evil one, almost reaches the level of my Trickster character, almost.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

User Info: Guide

Guide
1 month ago#6
I can't think of any modern games that compare. Like, Witcher 3 is the only other game I can think of that fulfills this quota. What other games are you comparing it to, tc?
[ S p e e d b o o s t ]
https://youtu.be/Acn5IptKWQU

mooreandrew58
1 month ago#7
Olld-Onne posted...
mooreandrew58 posted...

Your High Elf is quite the evil one, almost reaches the level of my Trickster character, almost.

she was quite fun to play. first pure mage character I ever made. with that I decided to make her good at all forms of magic. think enchanting was the only thing I never mastered. was working on it last I played that file though.
Cid- "looks like that overgrown lobster just got served!" Bartz-"with cheese biscuts AND mashed potatoes!"

User Info: Ic3Bullet

Ic3Bullet
1 month ago#8
The perk system is what keeps me coming back. To my knowledge, no game to this day has topped Skyrim in character customization.

mooreandrew58
1 month ago#9
Ic3Bullet posted...
The perk system is what keeps me coming back. To my knowledge, no game to this day has topped Skyrim in character customization.

i'd argue that I like fallouts perks more than skyrims. at least new vegas. really loved this one that slowed time for everyone but yourself. you could only use it so many times a day though. but its allowed me to punch deathclaws to death without taking a single bit of damage in return.

User Info: Guide

Guide
1 month ago#10
There's a shout for that. And a perk, specific to archery. Using both at once nearly freezes time.
[ S p e e d b o o s t ]
https://youtu.be/Acn5IptKWQU

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived