Regarding stacking enchanted items

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Regarding stacking enchanted items

User Info: cjchartier

cjchartier
3 weeks ago#1
After playing through this game countless times, I just realized that stacking the effects of enchanted items doesn't work. Or, at least, doesn't work the way I thought it did.

For example: I had a ring that I enchanted to enhance Pickpocketing, increasing my odds of success by 40%. I was also wearing the "upgraded" Thieves Guild boots, that increased Pickpocketing by 25%. I thought that my success rate was now increased overall by 65%. I was wrong.

While stealing back my training fees from Grelka, I noticed that my odds of success went from 78% to 90% when I removed the boots. The game must revert to the lower of the of the 2 equipped items. I've yet to try it with both a ring and boots that are at 40%, to see if this helps, but will probably not give it a try.

Nice to know this finally, as I can now "mix and match" different enhancements, instead of doubling up on ones I already have.

User Info: Lord Heimdall

Lord Heimdall
3 weeks ago#2
It's most likely you've ran into a bug. I know that stuff like "Fortify One-Handed" works perfectly.

Also, found this on UESP:

Fortify Pickpocket bonuses from apparel and potions may reduce your pickpocketing chance rather than increasing it.
-- PC Only This bug is fixed by version 2.0.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
Currently Playing: Ace Combat Infinity [PS3], Witcher 3 CE [PS4].
PSN: XicaoXiita --- Please use no emojis on GFAQs.

cjchartier
3 weeks ago#3
Good to know. Thanks for that information.

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
3 weeks ago#4
Yeah, Fortify Pickpocketing is a glitchy mess.

Don't let that dissuade you from stacking other enchantments though. While most defenses cap at 80% or so, the offensive ones continue to stack. E.g. stack a bunch of Peerless Archery items and your stealth archer will obliterate Ancient Dragons with a single sneak attack.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

User Info: craig_psn

craig_psn
3 weeks ago#5
^ Yeah, stacking Archery and One-handed apparel is pretty wild. I especially like the graphics for a really-stacked 1H fire sword power attack.

Disappointing to know about pickpocketing though. Never tried stacking those, but am I okay if I stick to a single item of enchanted apparel, do they work? I've just been taking it on faith, never tested it.

cjchartier
3 weeks ago#6
That's great to know about stacking Archery and One-Handed working. I actually used to have a Ring I made, that increased both by 40. I called it my "Ring of Battle". After the whole Pickpocket fiasco, I ended up selling it off (D'oh!). Guess I'll make myself another one.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

craig_psn
3 weeks ago#7
There is one thing about stacking Archery a lot that I noticed, not sure about it. I was using a medium-powered bow to capture mudcrab souls, archery buffs very stacked. A huge proportion of the mudcrabs, shot from a pretty fair distance away, were "vaporized"...no bodies. You get the souls but not the goodies the mudcrab may have "eaten" etc.

Then I noticed in one case a single mudcrab claw sticking out of the ground. So now I'm wondering if all the missing 'crab corpses clipped into the ground. This never used to happen when my Archery buffs were less stacked, but don't know if it's related, and it's the same old soul-capture bow. Coincidence with the stacking, or maybe a glitch for the area or perhaps the game file size etc.?

cjchartier
3 weeks ago#8
craig_psn posted...
There is one thing about stacking Archery a lot that I noticed, not sure about it. I was using a medium-powered bow to capture mudcrab souls, archery buffs very stacked. A huge proportion of the mudcrabs, shot from a pretty fair distance away, were "vaporized"...no bodies. You get the souls but not the goodies the mudcrab may have "eaten" etc.

Then I noticed in one case a single mudcrab claw sticking out of the ground. So now I'm wondering if all the missing 'crab corpses clipped into the ground. This never used to happen when my Archery buffs were less stacked, but don't know if it's related, and it's the same old soul-capture bow. Coincidence with the stacking, or maybe a glitch for the area or perhaps the game file size etc.?

I've had this happen occasionally, and simply chalk it up to the stacked Archery items as the cause. Not a problem for me though, as I prefer to hack them with my sword (while taking a few hits myself) to help slightly boost my One-Handed and Light Armor.

craig_psn
3 weeks ago#9
cjchartier posted...
I've had this happen occasionally, and simply chalk it up to the stacked Archery items as the cause. Not a problem for me though, as I prefer to hack them with my sword (while taking a few hits myself) to help slightly boost my One-Handed and Light Armor.

Me too. This shooting 'crabs with a bow is new to me. So I wasn't very sure about what was happening...no experience with mudcrabs and bows of any type really, so for all I know it could happen without the Archery stacking. I don't think it happens with other animals with the same soul-capture bow + same stacking, don't recall it. [Just trying to find a use for all my petty soul gems, they are going really fast (horkers)...]

cjchartier
3 weeks ago#10
Shoot a bunny or chicken, and watch it explode. lol.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Regarding stacking enchanted items

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived