For a fresh playthrough, how do you start to collect mods?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. For a fresh playthrough, how do you start to collect mods?

User Info: tabby_knight

tabby_knight
1 month ago#1
To clarify, what I mean is in what order do you start to find mods for your playthroughs? I don't mean load order or where to find mods.

For example, do you start by collecting unofficial patches, then gameplay, quests, major gameplay, and round it out with armor and companion mods?

User Info: Chielz0r

Chielz0r
1 month ago#2
Actually I make sure I have all the essentials.
Like LOOT, Wry Bash, NMM, TES5Edit, Optimizer Textures, SKSE.
Then make sure the master files are cleaned and the .ini's set right.

But yea, as for mods get the core, unofficial patches and SkyUI.

User Info: Oddplume

Oddplume
1 month ago#3
Utilities, which is easy enough. Most of them are separate from the game itself and easy to run for your purposes.

The unofficial patches and useful game fixes and improvements. On top of the unofficial patches and SkyUI, I like Mfg Console, Better Message Box Controls, and Better Dialogue Controls.

If you mean a fresh play-through after a previous modded install, keep track of what you had set up previously. Not just for your choice of what mods you want to return, but also what mix of mods presented issues you would like to avoid in or out of game, and what kind of experience you prefer.

Other than that, I just add mods one by one as I see fit. I keep what I enjoy, uninstall what I don't. Combine armor, weapon, and minor mod plugins with TES5Edit where possible to limit the number of plugins I am loading, and keep backups to roll them back if there are issues or I don't like the new additions.

I usually merge similar item plugins and/or multiple mods by the same author.
Load the Spaceship with the rocket fuel, LOAD IT WITH THE WORDS!
R.I.P. Ultimate Warrior 4/8/2014

User Info: tabby_knight

tabby_knight
1 month ago#4
Chielz0r posted...
Actually I make sure I have all the essentials.
Like LOOT, Wry Bash, NMM, TES5Edit, Optimizer Textures, SKSE.
Then make sure the master files are cleaned and the .ini's set right.

But yea, as for mods get the core, unofficial patches and SkyUI.

I never heard of Optimizer Textures before. Ill have to check that out. Thanks to both of you!

User Info: Chielz0r

Chielz0r
1 month ago#5
tabby_knight posted...
I never heard of Optimizer Textures before. Ill have to check that out. Thanks to both of you!

Helps a lot against crashing due to memory overload with custom textures.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. For a fresh playthrough, how do you start to collect mods?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived