Dragon outside of a Lair?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Dragon outside of a Lair?

User Info: OtakuJuanma

OtakuJuanma
4 weeks ago#1
So I was walking around, doing quests when suddenly, when approaching a mill so I can get a new safe fast travel spot, I hear a roar, and the only NPC around runs away. Looking around I see a dragon acting like it was fighting me, but it doesn't seem to have a target.

It's far away so I can't tell for certain, but I think it might be the same dragon that attacks the town during the tutorial, is that possible?

EDIT: well.... it attacked me, and I killed it effortlessly. I was lucky enough I could use the lumbermill house as a shield to reduce the breath damage, and it was a frost dragon, which I didn't know existed (I thought all dragons were called Elder Dragon).
That still doesn't explain why it's flying around if there's not a lair around.

EDIT 2: exploring the area I found it was "battling" a Mudcrab. He was lucky it got out alive to fight me haha... no but seriously, that's funny in perspective.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Oddplume

Oddplume
4 weeks ago#2
Tutorial as in the very beginning after you narrowly miss being executed by beheading? No. If it was THAT dragon, you wouldn't have been able to kill it yet. Anyway there's always a small chance of a dragon flyby encounter. Dragons aren't just on walls and fixed spawns. If they come close enough when flying overhead they will attack. They aren't difficult to hide from if you find yourself short on arrows or limited on damage. The dragon may circle a few times but if they don't get a target, they will continue off on their original heading until they leave the map.
Load the Spaceship with the rocket fuel, LOAD IT WITH THE WORDS!
R.I.P. Ultimate Warrior 4/8/2014

OtakuJuanma
4 weeks ago#3
Yes, tutorial as in the missed execution. I'm aware That one is like the big baddie and you can't kill him until some storyline thing allows you to kill it. Also I know it has a name so the moment I learned it was a frost dragon I knew it couldn't be,

Anyway, that's good to know, and now I'm afraid to walk the mountains during the day!! (Vampire)

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
4 weeks ago#4
Dragons can spawn from random encounter spots. Some will attack you while others just circle overhead for a while before leaving; unless you hit them with an attack during that time, the Throw Voice Shout also has a chance to aggro them. If you catch the dragon spawning you'll see it fly straight up out of the ground.

As for the big baddie, if you see a dragon a quarter mile away during the main quest it's probably him. He has the same render distance as large buildings.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

OtakuJuanma
4 weeks ago#5
I'm glad I learned this, because a dragon also spawned OVER MY HOME!!!

Sheesh, just when I thought having a giant there from time to time was the worst that could happen. At least I got a new soul, and gladly this time it was night and his breath was frost despite it being an elder dragon.

DuneMan
4 weeks ago#6
Night? Frost? Vampire player?

Dragons, other than Frost Dragons, can spawn in fire or frost varieties. They're weaker to the opposite element and resist the same one as their breath.

OtakuJuanma
4 weeks ago#7
DuneMan posted...
Night? Frost? Vampire player?

Yup.

User Info: Ranma006

Ranma006
4 weeks ago#8
Maybe?
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K; Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB; MOBO: Asus P8P67 (Rev. 3.0); GPU: MSI GTX 670

User Info: JCoconut

JCoconut
2 weeks ago#9
OtakuJuanma posted...
I'm glad I learned this, because a dragon also spawned OVER MY HOME!!!

Sheesh, just when I thought having a giant there from time to time was the worst that could happen. At least I got a new soul, and gladly this time it was night and his breath was frost despite it being an elder dragon.

Where is your home?

DuneMan
2 weeks ago#10
JCoconut posted...
Where is your home?

He probably built the large home at Lakeview Manor. That place gets attacked all the time, far more frequently than Winstad Manor or Heljarchen Hall. I usually leave Lakeview as a small home for that reason; no one attacks the small home.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Dragon outside of a Lair?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.