Just found out the hard way why cartridges > digital downloads

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. Just found out the hard way why cartridges > digital downloads

User Info: Raven-Z

Raven-Z
5 years ago#1
So, on the PS3, you have the disc, the game data it installs to the hard-drive (Game Data Utility) and your save files (Save Data Utility).

On the Vita, however, you have the cartridge, the game data it installs to the memory stick (usually a couple of mb) and your save files (a couple more mb).

Why is this a big issue? When you play a game off the cartridge, your save is stored on that cartridge. If your installed game data gets corrupted, you can delete the installation or wipe the memory card, knowing that your saves will be safe on the game cartridge.

If however, you download the same game from the PS Store, the game data and save data are lumped together as 'Application Data'. If the same problem occurs and the game data gets corrupted, you need to delete the Application Data to reinstall it, and there is no way to keep the save or seperate it from the main game data.

TLDR; Sony had a good system on the PS3 by keeping Game Data and Save Data seperate. By lumping them together on the Vita as Application Data, it makes it harder to back up our saves.

Sincerely,

Ravendust
Restarting Wipeout 2048 from scratch due to an archaic file management system.
PSN/GT/Steam: Ravendust
Reviews are a metric of quality. Sales are a metric of popularity.

User Info: monkeyspoon

monkeyspoon
5 years ago#2
Save files aren't on the carts though for most games. Games like uncharted etc use an install file.
Successful at getting fanboys and trolls banned since 2005. PSN ID: monkeyspoon,Xbox live ID: monkeyspoon,3DS friend code: 2621-2595-4009

User Info: OptimoLife

OptimoLife
5 years ago#3
Also, just backup your saves onto your computer regularly....lesson learned

User Info: zxelman

zxelman
5 years ago#4
I hate how they do this. Thankfully none of my data got corrupted yet, but it probably will soon.

I'd say it's because it's a safety measure against hackers since they use saves to exploit the system part of the time. But since I have no experience in that area, I don't know if that actually affects them or not.
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Partner Card Name: Xelor.
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Characters: VAmar Xel, RAcaseal X-Oul

User Info: Moonse

Moonse
5 years ago#5
Save syncing is probably in the works, hopefully. Won't matter at that point.
Currently emulating: Xenoblade Chronicles, all the Phoenix Wright games.

User Info: Raven-Z

Raven-Z
5 years ago#6
OptimoLife posted...
Also, just backup your saves onto your computer regularly....lesson learned

I do this on PS3. Before PS+, I copied my Save Data files to a USB stick, which can then be copied to my laptop. Job done. With PS Vita, I would have to use the Backup Utility to copy the full 16gb (or 3 gigs of application data per-game) onto my PS3 or PC, which takes a lot longer and is entirely unnecessary.
PSN/GT/Steam: Ravendust
Reviews are a metric of quality. Sales are a metric of popularity.

User Info: corbie33

corbie33
5 years ago#7
Yeah many of the Vita games save to the memory card, even if you're using the cartridge.
Downloads Editor - Nintendo Life
http://www.nintendolife.com

User Info: phineasfool

phineasfool
5 years ago#8
Sony just needs to increase the cloud storage size for plus members and allow Vita saves to be backed up there as well.
"Take a dump on the face of common sense"
PSN - Phineasfool GT- Phineasfool

User Info: fireblade08

fireblade08
5 years ago#9
Yeah I want cloud on my vita. i'm not currently on plus. i'm playing my canadian copy of wipeout while waiting on the code for the digital downlaod. so what you are saying:
in my case if I download WipEout it's likely to corrupt my current WipEout physical copy save data? That sounds messed up. I've been noticing the different versions of UC:GA & WipEout on NEAR.
Hey, I heard you are a wild one. if i took you home it'd be a home-run.

User Info: A_Nonny_Moose

A_Nonny_Moose
5 years ago#10

With PS Vita, I would have to use the Backup Utility to copy the full 16gb (or 3 gigs of application data per-game) onto my PS3 or PC, which takes a lot longer and is entirely unnecessary.

YOu don't have to use the Backup Utility. When you simply copy application data it moves the save file with it. Just tried. Copied Mutant Blobs to the PS3, deleted it from the Vita, and copied it back from the PS3. The save file was intact. It takes longer than simply having a Copy Save option, sure, but you don't have to use the Backup Utility every time. Just copy whatever game you're currently playing.
http://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. Just found out the hard way why cartridges > digital downloads

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived