Do any Vita games portray Lesbians in a Positive light?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. Do any Vita games portray Lesbians in a Positive light?

User Info: MwarriorHiei

MwarriorHiei
2 months ago#121
Aussie2B posted...
MwarriorHiei posted...
Aussie2B posted...
ITT, according to trolls: bisexuals don't exist

ITT: people dont realize that japan doesnt do bisexual characters unless they are evil or massive ultra-sluts.

What part of the above even mentions yuri? We were talking about bisexual characters, and, shock and awe, that includes male characters. The discussion was also about all types of media. You're the one trying to limit the focus in some feeble attempt to make your statement look accurate when it's not. You can't be like "I'm right when you rule out everything that proves me wrong."

But sure, let's talk about something like Netsuzou Trap where the two female leads both have boyfriends who they've been physically intimate with to varying degrees. But, no, they're both 100% lesbians with absolutely no attraction to men. Sure. Though I suppose you could call them "evil" considering how manipulative and abusive they are, but that ruins your point either way if you're using them as examples of characters who are unquestionably not bisexual.

the topic is about the portrayal of lesbians, which means yuri.

i mention something like Netsuzou Trap as an example of how bisexuals are typically portrayed in a negative light (at least in yuri works). Destiny of the Shrine Maiden is an example of how girls getting with guys doesnt even mean the girl is a bisexual. Girl Friends is another example. lots of yuri works introduce guys as a means of easy drama and not because the girls are bisexual..
http://i.imgtc.com/gkielsd.jpg

User Info: Aussie2B

Aussie2B
2 months ago#122
If the discussion was solely about the topic title, then we should only be talking about Vita games then. Discussions evolve. If I solely meant bisexual girls, I would've said bisexual girls. Likewise, it's misleading to say "japan doesn't do bisexual characters" and solely be referring to female characters. On top of all that, media can portray lesbians without that media belonging to the yuri genre. :/

Frankly, you're all over the place with your examples and all over the place with your point. You come off as somebody grasping at straws because you can't handle the idea of yuri characters being something other than lesbian, and it's kinda telling that you interpret all characters you acknowledge as bisexual as something negative.

Bottom line, unless a character identifies as a certain sexuality or is canonically established as a certain sexuality, it's impossible to rule out that they may be attracted to other genders than what's portrayed. And if they're portrayed as having romantic or sexual involvement or interest with multiple genders, then that's even more reason not to insist that they are definitely heterosexual or homosexual if they're never concretely identified as either. And a great amount of BL, yuri, and other Japanese media intentionally leaves that gray area, to accommodate whatever headcanons people want to have. But people have to acknowledge that their headcanons are merely that until proven in canon. If you want to imagine a yuri character as 100% lesbian and there's nothing to rule that out, go for it, but if it doesn't rule out bisexuality, and if it even hints in that direction, you can't claim there's no way, no how that the character is bi.

I mean, to apply this logic to real people, if you saw a same sex female couple on the street, would you automatically assume they're lesbians, with no possibility of either being bi? If you saw a male/female couple on the street, would you automatically assume that they're both straight?
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"

MwarriorHiei
2 months ago#123
im only talking about yuri games/anime/manga because TC is asking about vita games and pretty much every game on the vita that has any depiction of lesbians is japanese, which also means yuri like 99% of the time.

Aussie2B posted...
ou come off as somebody grasping at straws because you can't handle the idea of yuri characters being something other than lesbian, and it's kinda telling that you interpret all characters you acknowledge as bisexual as something negative.

it's a lot more of a grasp to assume everyone is bisexual in a work unless noted otherwise. you have to base conclusions on what you are given, not what is missing. if a girl only gets with other girls in the work, she is lesbian until something confirms she is bi. she is not bi until someone confirms she is lesbian because nothing in the work indicates that she is bi. the same thing goes for het works. they are straight because thats what the work shows. if something shows a girl getting with a guy, then it's fair to assume she is straight unless otherwise noted. straight and homosexual are the defaults. bisexuality is the one that needs confirmation.

and im not interpreting all bisexual characters as something negative, i am simply stating how they are usually portrayed in japanese media. stuff like Netsuzou Trap and BlazBlue have a more stereotypical portrayal, but stuff like Nameless Asterism and Girl Friends have an actually fair portrayal.

User Info: Uni_

Uni_
2 months ago#124
f***ing hell

User Info: fiyeroatheart

fiyeroatheart
2 months ago#125
Uni_ posted...
f***ing hell

You got what you wanted slampig.
Currently Playing: CollarXMalice(Vita), Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix (PS4), Tactics Ogre: LUCT (PSP), Pokemon Gold (3DS)

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
2 months ago#126
Uni_ posted...
f***ing hell

It looks like the time has come for you to eat this cake you have baked, TC.
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.

MwarriorHiei
2 months ago#127
Uni_ posted...
f***ing hell

MwarriorHiei posted...
Nurse Love Addiction
Rabi-Ribi
Senran Kagura
Valkyrie Drive
Nights of Azure (jp)
Flowers (jp)

Uni_
2 months ago#128
I see

User Info: DoobleBoop

DoobleBoop
2 months ago#129
To be or not to be
Save gaming! Stop the hackers!
http://tinyurl.com/zswbanh

Uni_
1 month ago#130
both
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. Do any Vita games portray Lesbians in a Positive light?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived