A bit of a rant about JRPG's and about Ys VIII specifically (spoilers inside!)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. A bit of a rant about JRPG's and about Ys VIII specifically (spoilers inside!)

User Info: Justice98405

Justice98405
2 months ago#1
I'm at 52 hours in and literally about to finish the game, FINALLY, I hope. But I wanted to take a few to make this topic, in an effort to let out some steam for sure, and pose some questions possibly as well.

First off, as an avid video game player and RPG player for basically my entire life so far (I'll be 39 next month), can I just say that there are three cliches in RPG's that I'm just getting utterly tired of.

One, sewer levels/zones. They basically all have them, and they're almost always dumb. This one doesn't really apply to Ys VIII but wanted to mention it along with the other two that DO.

Two, saving the world trope. Really?!?!??! Can writers for games not come up with compelling, interesting stories that DON'T end up being about saving the world or reality or EVERYTHING we know and love?

Three, amnesiac characters. I. Am. Tired. Of. This! It happens all the dang time, especially in RPG's. Like point two, really writers, you can't come up with compelling characters that tie into the story without having the amnesiac character involved? It's OLD, and it's TIRED and it's BORING at this point.

For Ys VIII specifically it all bums me out, because even with the crap localization, subpar to bad English VO work, and overall decent but not great story, I was still managing to enjoy Ys VIII quite a bit. Even with the overly cliche amnesiac element thrown in for good measure. The whole stranding on a mysterious island and the castaway village both REALLY helped drive the game onward.

40 or so hours in it's just dragging. I'm tired of stupid NPC conversations from giving them gifts, I'm tired of the same massive damage current level enemies do to me and the insane amount of time you get hit on the ground in a downed state and/or hit with status effects. Ugh. So much so that I just put the game on Easy mode in the last hour or so of play because I'm over it. I'm over this game. But I'm 50+ hours in and THIS close to the end, so I'm not going to walk away at this point.

And it's just sad. Because this had the making of a GREAT game, but that I'm utterly out of the experience when the game should be the most thrilling, heading up to a final confrontation and overall conclusion, that's just..... sad.

I want to type more, but I also want to get back to this game and get it over with.

tl:dr, LONG time RPG player is tired of the same old tropes and cliches used far too much in game, and is overall disappointed with Ys VIII, despite it having some really good elements, ideas and things in it.

P.S. It's a rant as said in the topic title, so try to take it all with a grain of salt people. I'm mainly just letting off some steam. I wouldn't have played this much of the game if it wasn't worthwhile.
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN (Vita): Justice_98405, Steam: psn_justice_98405, Battle.net (Diablo III/RoS): Justice#1912.

User Info: J_B

J_B
2 months ago#2
Falcom games were always long winded time wasters
jb08045.deviantart.com/art/Madoka-s-Dinner-513761540 -Out weeb me
Cyberdimension Neptunia English Playthrough now playing. https://goo.gl/sMW3C6

User Info: Sethman409

Sethman409
2 months ago#3
There aren't that many sewer zones, and when done it's usually because the characters are sneaking in, so it makes sense story wise.

Well, what bigger stakes are there than saving the world?

Amnesia is usually used to introduce players to the world without making the protagonist seems dumb. I mean look at Neptunia, at the beginning of most games Neptune pops up and gives exposition. Would you rather be expositionized to death? Or have the protagonist learn it as he moves forward because he forgot it? Or maybe have the protagonist treated dumb because he doesn't know obvious things? Or maybe you as a player don't know everything, so every so often (or more), you say "Why?", but it's never explained. Or maybe do what FFXV did and expect you to know everything from companion materials. Exposition here and there is fine if you're doing a major epic like FFVII, but a lot of games don't have the time to do something like that.
Ib,Persona 4G,Explorers of Sky,Stella Glow,Cold Steel 2,Bayonetta 2,Uncharted 4,Valkyrie Drive,FE:Fates,Persona 5,Criminal Girls,Senran Kagura EV, Conception II

User Info: bloodcoast

bloodcoast
2 months ago#4
Ys is mainly about the gameplay in the adventure and action. Everything else has always been secondary. Story is better suited for Legend of Heroes.

User Info: Helmet_Time

Helmet_Time
2 months ago#5
An English Lit teacher of mine said that the fundamental flaw with speculative fiction (fantasy, sci-fi, etc) is the sheer amount of time the writer had to expend explaining the 'rules' of the setting. Which got in the way for plot and character development. Amnesia is a way to try to make pages of exposition seem natural, and maybe it worked for the first person who thought to use it.

User Info: gadgaurd

gadgaurd
2 months ago#6
bloodcoast posted...
Ys is mainly about the gameplay in the adventure and action. Everything else has always been secondary. Story is better suited for Legend of Heroes.

The story this time is actually pretty damned good though. And the amnesia is handled differently than it usually is, in that the amnesiac character doesn't show up for half the game and their very presence is a huge "what the f***" that they are in no position to explain. The combat itself is still the star of the show, of course, but the writing isn't a mere after thought or excuse for you to be murdering s*** like usual.

Anyway, TC: Play different games. There are numerous JRPGs where amnesia, saving the world and so on aren't on the plate. If you're just tired of the usual drama, pick different stories. I dunno how you expected anything but saving the world from a Ys game, though.
Eternal Gust: Now a Social Board.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1079-eternal-gust

User Info: bith_the_black

bith_the_black
2 months ago#7
Sethman409 posted...
There aren't that many sewer zones, and when done it's usually because the characters are sneaking in, so it makes sense story wise.

Well, what bigger stakes are there than saving the world?

Amnesia is usually used to introduce players to the world without making the protagonist seems dumb. I mean look at Neptunia, at the beginning of most games Neptune pops up and gives exposition. Would you rather be expositionized to death?

By Nep? Sure
"When a black moon shines, Light and Dark break apart, the King of Darkness howls"

bloodcoast
2 months ago#8
gadgaurd posted...
bloodcoast posted...

The story this time is actually pretty damned good though. And the amnesia is handled differently than it usually is, in that the amnesiac character doesn't show up for half the game and their very presence is a huge "what the f***" that they are in no position to explain. The combat itself is still the star of the show, of course, but the writing isn't a mere after thought or excuse for you to be murdering s*** like usual.

Anyway, TC: Play different games. There are numerous JRPGs where amnesia, saving the world and so on aren't on the plate. If you're just tired of the usual drama, pick different stories. I dunno how you expected anything but saving the world from a Ys game, though.

Some of the complaints do a good job in summarizing my frustrations with MoC. Amnesia was really pointless in MoC. The game could've done well without it. Ys Dana seems like a giant improvement all around; I don't know how much better it is, but I don't think it's close to the story heavy games.

User Info: gadgaurd

gadgaurd
2 months ago#9
bloodcoast posted...
gadgaurd posted...
bloodcoast posted...

The story this time is actually pretty damned good though. And the amnesia is handled differently than it usually is, in that the amnesiac character doesn't show up for half the game and their very presence is a huge "what the f***" that they are in no position to explain. The combat itself is still the star of the show, of course, but the writing isn't a mere after thought or excuse for you to be murdering s*** I usual.

Some of the complaints do a good job in summarizing my frustrations with MoC. Amnesia was really pointless in MoC. The game could've done well without it. Ys Dana seems like a giant improvement all around; I don't know how much better it is, but I don't think it's close to the story heavy games.

I wouldn't say it was pointless in MoC, because it worked perfectly with how the different villages treated Adol. But it's definitely done better in Dana, since without it a bunch of key story plots would be thrown at you all at once halfway through the game and leave no questions for a long, long time.
Eternal Gust: Now a Social Board.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1079-eternal-gust

bloodcoast
2 months ago#10
gadgaurd posted...
bloodcoast posted...
gadgaurd posted...
bloodcoast posted...

The story this time is actually pretty damned good though. And the amnesia is handled differently than it usually is, in that the amnesiac character doesn't show up for half the game and their very presence is a huge "what the f***" that they are in no position to explain. The combat itself is still the star of the show, of course, but the writing isn't a mere after thought or excuse for you to be murdering s*** I usual.

I wouldn't say it was pointless in MoC, because it worked perfectly with how the different villages treated Adol. But it's definitely done better in Dana, since without it a bunch of key story plots would be thrown at you all at once halfway through the game and leave no questions for a long, long time.

The narrative was structured around the amnesia, but this structure and amnesia didn't serve as anything besides a narrative structure. I felt it could've been done better without it as it was annoying being bombarded about the same confusion each town. I guess it's done a lot better in Dana.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. A bit of a rant about JRPG's and about Ys VIII specifically (spoilers inside!)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived