External HD that just works

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. External HD that just works

User Info: dominatinggamer

dominatinggamer
4 years ago#11
Zabazaba11 posted...
I recently bought a Seagate Backup Plus external HD 500gb so I could transfer files between my PC more effectively. Anyways I kept hearing all this fuss over Y-cables and such, and that most external HDs need another power source.

I just plugged this bad boy in and bam extra 500gb of extra storage no Y-cable needed.

Just an FYI for those looking to buy extra storage without the hassle of finding the correct cables.

Is it the one from Target? I picked up a 750GB and a 500GB for $40 a piece.
With friends like you, who needs enemies?

User Info: Zabazaba11

Zabazaba11
4 years ago#12
lp913 posted...
Oh yeah TC, is the Seagate drive a USB. 2.0 or 3.0?

It is a 3.0 but seems to work fine, just downloaded Trine 2 and it worked great.
Gamertag: Xeno1101
PSN: Xeno1101

User Info: Zabazaba11

Zabazaba11
4 years ago#13
dominatinggamer posted...
Zabazaba11 posted...
I recently bought a Seagate Backup Plus external HD 500gb so I could transfer files between my PC more effectively. Anyways I kept hearing all this fuss over Y-cables and such, and that most external HDs need another power source.

I just plugged this bad boy in and bam extra 500gb of extra storage no Y-cable needed.

Just an FYI for those looking to buy extra storage without the hassle of finding the correct cables.

I picked mine up from Best Buy for about $70
Gamertag: Xeno1101
PSN: Xeno1101

User Info: mhunterchump

mhunterchump
4 years ago#14
MirageMew2 posted...
mhunterchump posted...
MirageMew2 posted...
mhunterchump posted...
Yeah my single USB powered Toshiba worked also without the y cable needed.

Which Toshiba? I only ask because mine doesn't seem to work.

750GB TOSHIBA CANVIO

Yeah, I read someone's thread saying their Toshiba didn't work and I hadn't tried mine yet, which worried me, but I connected it and it worked.

By any chance, did it come with a free 8 GB flash drive? Because that's most likely the same exact one as mine, which I can't figure out for the life of me how to connect it.

Yes it did come with a free 8 GB flash drive. It's weird, I wish I could give you advice but I really just plugged it in and it worked.

I hooked it to the Wii U straight out of the box, did you have it hooked to a PC before? Maybe that have an effect? Not sure.
PSN/Xbox:mhunterchump
twitter.com/MhunterCHUMP youtube.com/mhunterchump

User Info: kaliobe

kaliobe
4 years ago#15
Zabazaba11 posted...

I picked up the Seagate 750 GB USB 3.0 drive that is on sale at Target and it works great. Got it for 40 bucks and no Y cable needed. Here's a link:

http://www.target.com/p/seagate-expansion-750gb-portable-hard-drive-black-stbx750100/-/A-14299273
Gamertag/PSN: kaliobe8311
Just Purchased Games: - Madden NFL 11 -

User Info: dominatinggamer

dominatinggamer
4 years ago#16
kaliobe posted...
Zabazaba11 posted...

I picked up the Seagate 750 GB USB 3.0 drive that is on sale at Target and it works great. Got it for 40 bucks and no Y cable needed. Here's a link:

http://www.target.com/p/seagate-expansion-750gb-portable-hard-drive-black-stbx750100/-/A-14299273

Awesome to hear. I wanted to know if it worked okay before I opened it and this confirms it :)
With friends like you, who needs enemies?

User Info: mhunterchump

mhunterchump
4 years ago#17
MirageMew2 posted...
mhunterchump posted...
MirageMew2 posted...
mhunterchump posted...
Yeah my single USB powered Toshiba worked also without the y cable needed.

Which Toshiba? I only ask because mine doesn't seem to work.

750GB TOSHIBA CANVIO

Yeah, I read someone's thread saying their Toshiba didn't work and I hadn't tried mine yet, which worried me, but I connected it and it worked.

By any chance, did it come with a free 8 GB flash drive? Because that's most likely the same exact one as mine, which I can't figure out for the life of me how to connect it.

Make sure you turn off the wii u, then hook up the external hard drive, then power wii u up.

It will then ask you if you want to format, then your toshiba will work.

EDIT:

Here's a video showing a toshiba hdd hook up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOBL6_tvhns&feature=youtube_gdata_player
PSN/Xbox:mhunterchump
twitter.com/MhunterCHUMP youtube.com/mhunterchump

User Info: lp913

lp913
4 years ago#18
REALLY leaning towards purchasing that Toshiba drive right now, after watching that very informative YouTube video of it. Looks like its just the type of external HDD setup I need!
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]

User Info: SETUP DISK

SETUP DISK
4 years ago#19
I got a 1.5 terabyte Seagate drive today and ti works great...... PLUS IT the color and shine MATCHES THE Wii U.

I would have gotten 2 TB but all they had was 3.0 USB for that. Well there was one that said it could expand from 2 to 3 that was 2 TB but I didn't want to take a change on it in case it didn't work.
PSN SETUP_DISK WII U SetupDisk
3DS FC 4682-8465-2907

User Info: lp913

lp913
4 years ago#20
Newegg.com has a Black Friday special on a 1TB version of that very same Toshiba Canvio basics drive for $69.99 USD, which pushed me over to purchase it - hopefully that's all I need for the rest of this gen! Those still looking for a external Wii U drive, get it while its still on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149223
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. External HD that just works

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived