Here's why the Wii U's CPU is more powerful than PS3's CPU

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Here's why the Wii U's CPU is more powerful than PS3's CPU

User Info: kissdadookie

kissdadookie
4 years ago#41
SkyCrackers posted...
Iceman83 posted...
I have to clear this up since no one else had. The CPUs are 64-Bit. GPUs are 256 bit. The dreamcast used a 32 bit CPU and 128 bit GPU.

You're absolutely right about CPU's being 64-bit (does anyone even make 128-bit CPUs?), but modern GPUs are not necessarily 256-bit. I believe they have 4-channel vector units comprised of four 32-bit FP ALUs. So, I guess you could say they're 128-bit vector processors. I think some newer GPUs have even eliminated vector units in favor of scalar 32-bit ALUs, but I'm not up to date on recent GPU tech.

Yup, I believe you are right about GPUs not having robust vector-math units anymore. This is due to those being built into modern CPUs these days. Which brings me back to the Wii U CPU, it's a VERY old CPU architecture, old tech, and not optimized for modern games programming (it's essentially missing the vector-math unit, along with having a negligible SIMD instructions set, it also doesn't help that the clockspeed is the max the CPU is capable of, so it's not comparable to something like a i7 where idle it's 1.8Ghz but that doubles when some cores are not being used).

User Info: DTY3

DTY3
4 years ago#42
Bump for lulz
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTY16
GameFAQS users are far too sensitive.

User Info: DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM
4 years ago#43
@kissdadookie

Sorry, my bad. My information was based on older sources. And I meant to say PCB. Dunno know for the life of me why I said die.
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Here's why the Wii U's CPU is more powerful than PS3's CPU

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived