USB hub?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. USB hub?

User Info: arameaka

arameaka
4 years ago#1
so i bought a mypassport external hard drive today, but no stores in my area had any usb y-cables in stock. i do however have an unused belkin 4 port usb hub at home. could i possibly use that instead of buying a y cable? it has a power adapter, so could i just plug the hard drive through the hub and feed off the power adapter of the hub?

User Info: DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM
4 years ago#2
It should work, but understand that with it being powered separately (through the hub), the hub will be powered, and that may have the HDD active as well.
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project

arameaka
4 years ago#3
excuse my ignorance, but what is wrong with the hard drive being constantly active? not really sure how the thing works.

arameaka
4 years ago#4
bump

User Info: MikeBearman

MikeBearman
4 years ago#5
If your passport is like mine you will need a y cable, it would work sometimes without it but would freeze the system up most of the time without 1, I got mine from amazon no stores sell them retail from what I can tell.

Also a hub would probably need a y cable also since it would be running through 1 usb cable and wouldn't draw enough power, unless they make hubs that run on 2 usb cables.

User Info: MikeBearman

MikeBearman
4 years ago#6
Since it has a power adapter maybe, you would have to try it but if your system hangs or freezes you'll know it's not good enough.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. USB hub?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived