Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon App Questions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon App Questions

User Info: Spiral55

Spiral55
4 years ago#1
Minor, but for some reason when close these Apps to go directly to the Wii U menu, it will show the Wii U menu loading screen, then the screen will go black for half a second..almost as if it's changing resolution, before showing the Wii Menu Loading screen again (and ultimately arriving to the main Wii U hub area).

It doesn't do this for any of the Wii U games, eShop or MiiVerese and doing it for getting access to the Wii Menu is normal. I have my Wii U set to 1080p currently, and the 3 apps mentioned are in HD or so I thought, so the screen shouldn't be going black at all?

Strange thing is,when using my A/V cables the screen doesn't go black at any point when switching from Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon to the Wii U menu.
LULZ

User Info: Buretsu

Buretsu
4 years ago#2
Pretty sure it's an HDMI thing.
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit

Spiral55
4 years ago#3
Buretsu posted...
Pretty sure it's an HDMI thing.

Is this normal for the Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon apps? I know it is for changing to/from Wii/Wii U mode. If it's not...any idea on whether it be the system, T.V, or cable?
LULZ

User Info: Thunderbird8

Thunderbird8
4 years ago#4
This might be the HDMI switching from a protected stream to an unprotected one. While I've not tried a HDMI recording device (don't have one) with the Wii U, I've heard one can be used with it. But obviously the video streaming services wouldn't want that to be possible.

I mainly watch Netflix on the GamePad, with the Wii U itself hooked up via component, though.

Spiral55
4 years ago#5
Thunderbird8 posted...
This might be the HDMI switching from a protected stream to an unprotected one. While I've not tried a HDMI recording device (don't have one) with the Wii U, I've heard one can be used with it. But obviously the video streaming services wouldn't want that to be possible.

I mainly watch Netflix on the GamePad, with the Wii U itself hooked up via component, though.

Sorry, if a dumb question but what do you mean it switches to an un-protected stream?

If it helps any, the T.V I use for my dorm room is different from the one I use back at home, and I don't recall it ever doing this back on my home television.
LULZ

Spiral55
4 years ago#6
bump
LULZ

User Info: Thunderbird8

Thunderbird8
4 years ago#7
It is possible for HDMI transmissions to be protected via HDCP to prevent recording with another device. I suspect blu-ray players do this. I don't know for sure if the Wii U ever actually uses an unprotected output, but it's certainly a thought if that sort of thing only happens with the video streaming apps and not with component. I suspect different TVs might handle the change differently.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon App Questions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived