Miyamoto: Donkey Kong Country is so mediocre, all you do is collect bananas.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Miyamoto: Donkey Kong Country is so mediocre, all you do is collect bananas.

User Info: KroganBallEater

KroganBallEater
4 years ago#1
This isn't the 3DS board. can someone delete this topic without getting be banned?

User Info: Lord_Valkire

Lord_Valkire
4 years ago#2
3DS board
<-- That way
Wii would like U to play

User Info: Petey_Meanis

Petey_Meanis
4 years ago#3
He only said that because he was working on Yoshi's Island at the time, and there was a lot of pressure for him to make it look like DKC...

Its been rumored that Shigeru Miyamoto disliked Donkey Kong Country. Apparently Miyamoto caught some flack from Yamauchi & Co. because the Super Mario World sequel - Yoshi's Island - didn't look nearly as good as Donkey Kong Country (nor did it sell as much). When Shigeru Miyamoto first demonstrated the game to Nintendo's marketing department, it was rejected. Nintendo EAD had to re-do the graphics and Miyamoto was said to be not entirely happy about it. "Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good," he said. Years later, Miyamoto reflected on his attitude toward the title.

“I think that it happened after Donkey Kong Country was introduced," said Shigeru Miyamoto. "In comparison with the graphics of the Super Donkey Kong, there was not enough punch to Yoshi's Island. That was what I was told by the marketing people. I intensified my hand-drawn touch on Yoshi's Island from the initial part of the program. Everybody else was saying that they wanted better hardware and more beautiful graphics instead of this art.

http://www.n-sider.com/gameview.php?gameid=82&view=dev

He also set things straight here...

IGN: I was interviewing them earlier, and even though you weren't directly involved you were definitely very inspirational in making sure certain things were done in that game correctly. I'm wondering, which parts of Donkey Kong Country did you like versus not like? And what did you address with them?

Miyamoto: The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumor got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/110/1100039p3.html

and now most people agree DKC isn't all that great gameplay wise and that it was the groundbreaking visuals ( at the time ) that made the game special.
Thick, long and meaty.. Kielbasa sausage
http://i.imgur.com/dHMWV.jpg http://i.imgur.com/6s1RR.gif

User Info: manji

manji
4 years ago#4
i thought donkey kong country looked good and played great. yoshi's island on the other hand, look nothing like super mario world and departed quite a bit, so to sub-title it super mario world 2 was misleading. as a stand alone game, i wasn't really a fan of it when it was released and even today not so much. it's not a bad game, but i had a lot more fun with DKC (which also had a great soundtrack).

User Info: plasmatic5

plasmatic5
4 years ago#5
manji posted...
i thought donkey kong country looked good and played great. yoshi's island on the other hand, look nothing like super mario world and departed quite a bit, so to sub-title it super mario world 2 was misleading. as a stand alone game, i wasn't really a fan of it when it was released and even today not so much. it's not a bad game, but i had a lot more fun with DKC (which also had a great soundtrack).

The only reason they named it Super Mario World 2 was because Nintendo of America wanted to capitalize on the success of Super Mario World. In Japan, it was just called Super Mario: Yoshi's Island.
My Superheroes consist of the band members of the Who, Led Zeppelin, and The Beatles

User Info: LUlGI

LUlGI
4 years ago#6
You're supposed to go to message detail and hit Delete This Message.

It only works if no one responds to your topic though, so you're f***ed.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Miyamoto: Donkey Kong Country is so mediocre, all you do is collect bananas.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived