Buzzfeed: How the gaming press got the Wii U Wrong

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Buzzfeed: How the gaming press got the Wii U Wrong

User Info: darkjedilink

darkjedilink
4 years ago#41
rafiiilla posted...
I don't think that for some details a whole article is discredited

When the detail in question is the basis for the whole article, it certainly is discredited.
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie

User Info: rafiiilla

rafiiilla
4 years ago#42
darkjedilink posted...
rafiiilla posted...
I don't think that for some details a whole article is discredited

When the detail in question is the basis for the whole article, it certainly is discredited.

But you can still keep some details in favor, it's not that the article is completely wrong...

Like I said, I don't think 3 months since launch are enough to say if something is doing good/bad, I just never thought of some of the points the article states
NNID: rafiiilla

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
4 years ago#43
Lol, what a stupid article. The gaming press hates Nintendo. They bet against Nintendo all the time. If anything, it's consumers who are much more enthusiastic about Nintendo than the press.

It's not selling well for the same reason the 3DS and PSVita also didn't sell well post-launch - there's always a dearth of games right after launch because everyone who can make launch pulls out all the stops to make sure they do, leaving nothing until the second round of games comes out. It's happened with pretty much every system ever.
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery

User Info: guttertalk

guttertalk
4 years ago#44
The article has pretty awful premises:

+ Analysts are right that the Wii U is a failure.

+ Game journalists should be saying the same thing as analysts.

As someone has said, the quotes are cherrypicked and don't represent the whole review or opinion.

I simply don't get the proclamations of the Wii U's fate at this stage. Remember when EA threatened to stop supporting the PS3? Remember the 3DS launch? There's still so much of the market that remains unclear--not just the details of the 720 and PS4 but also the Steam Box and Android boxes, the overall economy and game market. Guys like Patcher are there for the purpose of people trying to predict the future and take risks. It might be reasonable analysis, but it's still trying to predict the future before a good set of data is in.

I hope the Wii U succeeds for no other reason than to throw this asinine articles back at people.

User Info: lt519

lt519
4 years ago#45
A couple points here:

1) He calls the handheld peripheral a failure. I think it's the best controller I've ever used, and 90% of that comes from off-TV play.

2) Anyone that pre-orders a game like Aliens is asking for a swift kick in the ass. I have never pre-ordered a game and NEVER not gotten a game on launch I wanted at the first store I've visited (I live in a city, so plenty of options). Pre-ordering (minus the cute new outfit for Dante they give to you) is a bad move on anyone's part.

3) People need to learn to read between the lines of these previews. What do they NOT talk about? What do they harp on, is it really that important? Yeah the Aliens previews said it would have fantastic lighting, but really who gives a sh*t about fantastic lighting if the AI runs straight into the walls half the game.

Previews are fine, its how a select few interpret them and foolishly spend their money pre-ordering. I side with the Destructoid editor, be a smarter consumer.

User Info: tizzywilkillyou

tizzywilkillyou
4 years ago#46
YamiYugi4400 posted...
Reading that he seems to say that people thought to highly of the Wii U before it came out because of their nostalgic view of Nintendo?

Honestly it confused me since the article seemed to talk about quite a few things at once.

Yeah, this wasn't a good read at all. AT ALL.

He claims investors and consumers discerned the issues immediately?

No. Demand for the Wii U rivaled that of the Wii for a short time after launch. Then when that pent up demand dissipated, it slowed way down. Why? No gaems. And delays for several launch window titles.

The positive reports mostly had to do with the concept of the console, and the future possibilities. Not current software.

As for investors, I'm pretty sure company stocks almost always take a hit upon announcement of new devices that are not releasing immediately. It indicates to the investors that lots of money is being poured into R&D, and won't show a return for awhile.

Not a very good article, sorry.

EDIT: Rudgerlight beat me to most of the points. Well done.
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Buzzfeed: How the gaming press got the Wii U Wrong

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived