Does Wii U make you pay taxes when you buy digital games?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Does Wii U make you pay taxes when you buy digital games?

User Info: Solnot

Solnot
3 years ago#1
I need to know so I can figure out whether it's better to buy the digital or physical version.

User Info: Enigma149

Enigma149
3 years ago#2
It depends upon where you live.
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; Steam: CrimsonEnigma
''If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature'' -squatch22

User Info: Donomega

Donomega
3 years ago#3
Yeah, it does here in Ohio :( I even get charged tax when buying an eShop pre-paid card lol
XBL: RobDaCool | NNID: RobDaCool | 3DS: 0903-4184-6816

User Info: Petey_Meanis

Petey_Meanis
3 years ago#4
It depends upon where you live.

This. Same when buying games digitally through PSN.
Thick, long and meaty.. Kielbasa sausage. NNID : Meaty_Petey
http://i.imgur.com/dHMWV.jpg http://i.imgur.com/6s1RR.gif

User Info: The_DOAM

The_DOAM
3 years ago#5
Some states tax you for your online purchases and some don't. You should look up your state to find out whether you do or not.
Ignorance is Bliss...

User Info: SlimeSwayze

SlimeSwayze
3 years ago#6
I made the mistake of buying an e-shop card, and ended up getting taxed twice. So yeah, I got taxed on the e-shop, in addition to paying tax on the initial purchase of the card.
Currently Playing: Too many to report.

User Info: STE573

STE573
3 years ago#7
In the UK, yes.
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)

User Info: SmashBro25

SmashBro25
3 years ago#8
SlimeSwayze posted...
I made the mistake of buying an e-shop card, and ended up getting taxed twice. So yeah, I got taxed on the e-shop, in addition to paying tax on the initial purchase of the card.

No no, you're not supposed to receive any tax on electronic cards like that- including MSP, Nintendo cards, etc. - tax is calculated when you buy from the eShop but you should only be paying $20 for a $20 card. If the store is taxing you, they're wrong.
Check out Pokemon - The Abridged Series at:
http://www.youtube.com/RocketsUnderground

User Info: wingo84

wingo84
3 years ago#9
I bought a digital game and then there was a knock at the door. The Wii U alerted Inland Revenue and made me pay my taxes right there and then in front of them.
NNID - Wingo84
Currently doing nothing

User Info: SlimeSwayze

SlimeSwayze
3 years ago#10
SmashBro25 posted...
SlimeSwayze posted...

No no, you're not supposed to receive any tax on electronic cards like that- including MSP, Nintendo cards, etc. - tax is calculated when you buy from the eShop but you should only be paying $20 for a $20 card. If the store is taxing you, they're wrong.

Could be that I didn't get taxed by Target, where I bought the card. I may have just been taxed on the games I bought. I just assumed that I did. It's just a few cents, anyway.
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Does Wii U make you pay taxes when you buy digital games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived