Nintendo Wii U Storage Expansion FAQ V2.0

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Nintendo Wii U Storage Expansion FAQ V2.0

User Info: Hemidactylus

Hemidactylus
2 years ago#131
Excellent topic, and I think I might leave my question here.

So, I just bought my WiiU. Got the 32GB set with Mario 3D World (awesome game, loving every aspect of it) and Nintendoland. Both on the WiiU memory.

So, I just added U$ 170 on the shop and bought Mario Kart and Smash Bros. Downloaded MK8, played a little, got the two DLC packs, fooled around with best character (Isabelle), then downloaded SMash Bros. But during installation, it stopped, saying that there was not enought space. By that time, it said I had aroung 2GB left. So I deleted Nintendo Land (wich apparently as about 3 GB) and it proceeded to install.

And now it says I still have 3GB free. Shouldn't it be less since those 2GB weren't enough for the game?

Thanks in advance and sorry if it isn't very clear, English is not my main language.
Most beloved console I ever had: Super Nintendo
Most beloved game I ever had: a pirated Super Mario World my father gave me in my birthday
(message deleted)

User Info: shadestreet

shadestreet
2 years ago#133
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=784-BBBE

Would this work for an external HDD? I need one that draws power from the Wii USB - I assume I need a different cable though?

User Info: DGenerateKane

DGenerateKane
2 years ago#134
shadestreet posted...
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=784-BBBE

Would this work for an external HDD? I need one that draws power from the Wii USB - I assume I need a different cable though?

My understanding is if the drive draws power from USB only, it needs to have a Y USB cable so the second USB plug draws just power from the second USB port. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005M0ICG2?keywords=usb%203.0%20y%20cable&qid=1445284913&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3
http://www.360-hq.com/gamercard-DGenerateKane-0-19.png

User Info: shadestreet

shadestreet
1 year ago#135
Excellent thank you!

User Info: HDCase

HDCase
1 year ago#136
If I have a USB drive plugged in, do I get to choose where game saves and downloads go or will they always go to the drive?
Artiste of the Slightly Funny Deal

User Info: Hemidactylus

Hemidactylus
1 year ago#137
You can choose where you want to download your games, but the save data will always be on the same device the actual game is in. Like, you can't have your Super Smash Bros. on the WiiU and the DLC & Save data on the external HDD.
Most beloved console I ever had: Super Nintendo
Most beloved game I ever had: a pirated Super Mario World my father gave me in my birthday
nice
They mostly come at night, mostly.

User Info: dbrg13

dbrg13
1 year ago#139
Ok... So I bought a toshiba 500GB external hard drive and I have a y cable with it. Everytime I plug in both usb's to the wii u, the hard drive doesn't even turn on. The y cable is a "USB 3.0 + 2.0 Male A to Micro B Male Y Data Cable Black 1M for HDD SSD". I'm not very smart with tech or anything so any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
Favorite game series: Super smash bros., Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros.
Most anticipated games: Zelda wii u, Star fox wii u, Xenoblade Chronicles X
On a whim today, I decided to get a usb plug. It was a Pinkie Pie usb plug which I've never seen before and is cute and silly and I just couldn't resist. Besides, I have a basic Wii U and while I don't currently have plans to really buy any full games digitally, it would be nice to have an extra 8 gigs to backup data in case I need to delete anything for save data for any new games. However, I was wondering... Is there any way to get around the whole "forced reformat" thing so that I can use the save data on other wii u consoles? I only ask since I have a friend who doesn't have any of the DLC for Smash Bros on his wii u and it would be nice if I could somehow, even if it requires going through hoops and wizardry to do, use the save data on the usb plug on his wii u. From the looks of things, there doesn't appear to be any kind of work around for this, but I ain't particularly tech savvy anymore so maybe someone with a little more know than I knows some tricks that I don't to get around these things.

Thanks.
"You can't have a nightmare, if you never dream" - My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Nintendo Wii U Storage Expansion FAQ V2.0

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.