PS4 Harddrive and Bluray are Outdated compared to Flash Memory

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. PS4 Harddrive and Bluray are Outdated compared to Flash Memory

User Info: Infinity8378

Infinity8378
4 years ago#1
38.863137138648348174443833153873 Bits
PS4 Harddrive 38 Bits/Byte used by the header file with a oversized 500GB harddrive with an additional access Time Latency. This means you'll have to wait for the header to read 1 nibble of useless data per byte. This means less on screen and larger file sizes or more instanciating.

34.897352853986261130832874865405 Bits
Wii U at 32GB 34Bits/Byte Flash Memory less for small USB storage

Wii only had 27Bit Header files comparatively

So that means when downloading files from harddrive compared to wii U 32GB Flash memory the PS4 will suffer in performance. The harddrive is slower than Wii U and bottlenecks the system. As for the Bluray that has access time too and is only 27MB/s slower than USB 2.0 on the Wii U and faster than the Wii U's drive but slower than the Flash Drive. So whether loading from Harddrive or outdated Blu-ray Wii U will be at an an advantage from Flash Drive installs.

Flash Memory also ranges in speeds greater than 30MB/s with harddrives like ones usually 60MB/s or faster

User Info: StrongBlackVine

StrongBlackVine
4 years ago#2
This is so foolish I don't know where to start. There is absolutely nothing about the Wii U hardware that is superior to the PS4.

User Info: Iokua

Iokua
4 years ago#3
And yet it's 470 some odd gigabytes larger, so who gives a ****?
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.

User Info: Enigma149

Enigma149
4 years ago#4
StrongBlackVine posted...
This is so foolish I don't know where to start.

Well, he is technically correct...in-premise, at least. Flash memory does make a mechanical hard drive seem redundant when it comes to speed...though to say it "bottlenecks" the system is a little ridiculous.
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; Steam: CrimsonEnigma
''If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature'' -squatch22

StrongBlackVine
4 years ago#5
Iokua posted...
And yet it's 470 some odd gigabytes larger, so who gives a ****?

Yeah enjoy downloading 4 or 5 full retail games games before needing to purchase an external hard drive. Oh I forgot Wii U is mostly 720p so you might squeeze in a few more games.

StrongBlackVine
4 years ago#6
Enigma149 posted...
This is so foolish I don't know where to start.

Well, he is technically correct...in-premise, at least. Flash memory does make a mechanical hard drive seem redundant when it comes to speed...though to say it "bottlenecks" the system is a little ridiculous.

I know he is technically correct, but he is reaching about as hard as you can. The hard drive is not a bottleneck.

User Info: 1shadetail1

1shadetail1
4 years ago#7
Flash memory will not be practical until the prices drop a lot further. Until then, mechanical hard drives are simply a better value.

That said, Nintendo is smart by essentially leaving us to choose our own storage option, rather than pushing built-in proprietary hard drives. I have to give them props for that.
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.

User Info: MilesTeg420

MilesTeg420
4 years ago#8
This is so foolish I don't know where to start. There is absolutely nothing about the Wii U hardware that is superior to the PS4.

Wii U is smaller and has 4 USB ports instead of two, although PS4 USB is 3.0. It also runs at extremely low power. Not saying these are huge advantages, but notable.

User Info: SlimeSwayze

SlimeSwayze
4 years ago#9
This must be why we are seeing so many incredible Wii U games that look better and run smoother than anything ever before seen on consoles.
Currently Playing: Too many to report.

User Info: Rev0luti0nN0w

Rev0luti0nN0w
4 years ago#10
If you think a HDD is not a bottleneck, you are permanently living in 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv5dCXiXFaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF4gUcGndhc

There's a reason why SSDs are so popular on PCs even though they are much smaller and cost tons more.
PC: 2500k, 16 gb ram, 7970, 3 tb/2tb/128 gb samsung 830/6 monitor eyefinity
PSN: Zellio2010 Xbox Live: Zellio2009 NintendoID: Zellio2013
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. PS4 Harddrive and Bluray are Outdated compared to Flash Memory

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived