Can you play WII virtual console titles off an external hard drive?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Can you play WII virtual console titles off an external hard drive?

User Info: ShadowKing01

ShadowKing01
3 years ago#1
I was wondering if there was a way to take the data of my virtual console titles and put it on the 500 gb external I installed on the wii U?
Awaiting: Zelda: Windwaker HD, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD, Final Fantasy X amd X-2 HD

User Info: Elem187

Elem187
3 years ago#2
You can move all your downloaded content to an external drive, and run it off the drive as well.

Source: I just got a 1.5tb drive this week, it works flawlessly.

ShadowKing01
3 years ago#3
Okay what about the WII virtual console titles, because when I go to look for them I do not see them, where would they be located in the wii U menu?
Awaiting: Zelda: Windwaker HD, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD, Final Fantasy X amd X-2 HD

User Info: Elem187

Elem187
3 years ago#4
Wait are you asking if you can play Wii U VC games off an external drive or Wii VC titles?

Because I'm pretty sure you have to be in Wii mode to play Wii VC titles... I mean its completely different code, so the Wii U wouldn't understand Wii VC titles.

User Info: Shadowbird_RH

Shadowbird_RH
3 years ago#5
I don't think you can move Wii save data or WiiWare/Virtual Console titles to an external hard drive. You can move them to an SD card though.
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR

ShadowKing01
3 years ago#6
Okay that's fine I'll just have to delete games as I finish them

User Info: Kungfu_Hero

Kungfu_Hero
3 years ago#7
Like someone said, an SD card is needed for Wii mode VC games. They are super cheap. I bought one at Best Buy that was 8 bucks for 4 GB, which holds tons and tons of VC games.
...l...i...t...t...l...e...m...o...n...e...y...

ShadowKing01
3 years ago#8
I figured that out however I cannot run said games from sd card so I will playing a game of transfer between the sd card and the wii system data on the wii u

User Info: Shadowbird_RH

Shadowbird_RH
3 years ago#9
Well, you can launch the titles from the SD menu, the data is loaded automatically and temporarily to the Wii/Wii U's system memory when you select it, removed next time you play a different game, so there's some extra loading time when you start, but it's great for keeping the Wii's small allocation of storage (512MB) clear while maintaining a wide selection of Virtual Console/Wii Ware titles.
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR

User Info: distr0ia

distr0ia
3 years ago#10
I've hooked up my system whilst forgetting to connect my thumb drive and all my VC titles went poof, so yeah
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Can you play WII virtual console titles off an external hard drive?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived