Why Iwata refuses to lay off staff.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why Iwata refuses to lay off staff.

User Info: mini_blight

mini_blight
4 years ago#41
Endgame posted...

and yet, the games produced by Iwata's Nintendo are much less inspired than those of Yamauchi's Nintendo

case in point: New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wii U

so no, the "quality" argument does not work here

I'm sorry that people can't live and work forever. Some games aren't going to be the same because their creators have either long since retired or passed away. You probably know this but are denying it because you have a grudge against Iwata.

NSMB2's issues are obvious and not the norm. But NSMBU was greatly improved from its first unveiling to its release. If Nintendo was as bad as you say, they would have shipped out NSMBWii with some tacked on online or whatever and called it a new game. Inb4 trolls claim that's what they did.

They didn't and NSMBU is probably the best looking 2D Mario since Super Mario World.

Funfact: Super Mario World, Super Mario Land 1+2, Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3 are the most creative games in the series. Yet, none of them reached the same sales heights as the original Super Mario Bros. or New Super Mario Bros.

So either Iwata is bad because he allows creativity at the expense of lower sales, or because he doesn't allow creativity at the expense of higher sales. Pick one and stick to it already. I'm tired of your flip-flopping. No, you can't have both. History has shown us that's nothing but a fantasy.

he could use the "HD development is more resource hungry than we thought" thing he's been running with as a reason for not firing anyone, since that would make them understaffed..... which still shows poor preparation and management on his part

No, it shows the opposite. Nice try.

or he could remind everyone of the piles of cash from Wii and DS, which would still lead to the question as to why the **** he isn't using that money to invest in hiring more people to deal with the difficulties of HD development that everyone else has been dealing with for years now

They have been hiring. What blog have you been living under? They aren't going to hire just anyone, so it will take time.

User Info: mini_blight

mini_blight
4 years ago#42
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/5/4496512/why-nintendos-satoru-iwata-refuses-to-lay-off-staff

Living proof at least one CEO is still capable of human feelings.

Yes. This is the guy neogaf wants fired. So much for the reputation makeover of 2013 they pulled at everyone elses expense. If Kaz Hirai or Mark Cerny said anything like that they'd be praised as the saints of gaming over there. Funny that.

Nice to see Iwata defend himself. He's been under attack by the Sony pony brigade for a long time now.

trenken posted...
Thats the thing. Layoffs unfortunately are a necessary evil and have to happen from time to time. Business is always up and down. You beef up when business is good, when business plummets some have to be purged.

...or purge when business is good. Don't leave that funfact out.

I was laid off one time in 2002, and walked out totally understanding why. It was either that or let the entire company go under and everyone lose their jobs.

Spoken like someone who's never been laid off before.

I actually think this move by Iwata makes it look like he is not the best person to run Nintendo. Seriously, business isnt doing well so he wont lay people off because he doesnt want to upset them????????? So they have people on payroll that arent really needed. Thats smart. Thats money that could go into budgets for other games, but nope, they keep on dead weight then keep cutting corners with their games, banging out safe sequels like every NSMB game and 3D Land/World. Awesome. But hey, at least people ill never meet still have a job.

Job security is now a bad thing...because Nintendo did it.

Funny that. I hope Nintendo sticks around for a long time because all the crazy they bring out of their competitors never gets old.

User Info: Dr_Facer

Dr_Facer
4 years ago#43
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/5/4496512/why-nintendos-satoru-iwata-refuses-to-lay-off-staff

Living proof at least one CEO is still capable of human feelings.

Interesting. You forgot to mention Nintendo's still has enough money to afford keeping all of his staff, though.

And, isn't that the most remarkable thing?

User Info: SyCo_VeNoM

SyCo_VeNoM
4 years ago#44
Well I agree with his logic.
Laying people off is detrimental to employee moral. My 1st job the head of the department had a mandatory meeting named a pile of people told them to wait next door, and he would talk to them separate. After they left he said they no longer work here, and if we see them on the premises in 30 minutes call security. We went from a very productive department to one that did the minimal work to get by as we all figured we might be next. The kicker was we weren't even hurting for money, and he got a bonus for the layoff it turned out(from what we read of his e-mails).

This also would explain why so much in gaming now a days is regurgitated crap the companies try and force feed us. Cause people won't go out on a limb trying to make a new fun game that might take off, and create a new type of gameplay if they might lose their job instead they will stick to what worked in the past, and then blame piracy for its lackluster sales as I know I would if I was in the position.

User Info: Genius_Sage

Genius_Sage
4 years ago#45
Actually, layoffs DON'T NEED to happen the new age greedy CEOs need to have consequences for their piss poor choices. What usually happens is CEOs and board suits make decisions only beneficial to them in the long run. When they make so many stupid choices its layoff time, or they cash out and jump to another company and do the same crap all over again. Basically they really need to just end up on the streets, but networking as gotten to damn powerful in the west so it doesn't happen like that anymore.
FC - 4639-8953-6150

User Info: GoombaX

GoombaX
4 years ago#46
Tech_Support posted...
Yet the Wii U still has no games.

You really are butthurt about something arn't you.
3ds FC: 1891-1175-6647 My town: Termina
Currently Playing: MvC 2, AC:NL, Last of Us, MMX Collection, Ico hd Collection

User Info: Oni_Taedo

Oni_Taedo
4 years ago#47
squatch22 posted...
Thats why Iwata is so great as a boss.

Meh, as a boss, I think he'd be just slightly below Mike Tyson, and a bit above Raphael Raven.

Puns aside.

Yeah, Iwata has earned some of my respect.
A lot of people pass him off as a delusional old man past his prime (same as Miyamoto), and I can see WHY they think that. But, Iwata has never failed. He will sometime in the future, but it probably won't be any time soon.
He did good with the Gamecube, he did fine by the Wii (say what you will about it, but the exclusives were pretty top notch), and so far, he's trying his hardest with the Wii U (there's really nothing that Nintendo can do to get the third parties they used to have, back. It's going to take another generation or so, but I do think we'll see better third party support than we did last gen).
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida

User Info: BeanBeanKingdom

BeanBeanKingdom
4 years ago#48
Oni_Taedo posted...
Meh, as a boss, I think he'd be just slightly below Mike Tyson, and a bit above Raphael Raven.

But Raphael Raven is like the best boss ever. It was freaking Mario Galaxy in 1995.

Dr_Facer posted...
Interesting. You forgot to mention Nintendo's still has enough money to afford keeping all of his staff, though.

And, isn't that the most remarkable thing?

It is. In fact, Iwata made Nintendo so much money that they could keep posting the same losses as 2011 (although they already turned it around and posted a profit in 2012) and they wouldn't go bankrupt until 2075.
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.

User Info: anon_fire

anon_fire
4 years ago#49
GoombaX posted...
Tech_Support posted...
Yet the Wii U still has no games.

You really are butthurt about something arn't you.

Don't talk to him, he's nothing but a hater.

User Info: Vyers

Vyers
4 years ago#50
Probably one of the most respectable things I've heard from a person in his position, and it's exactly right.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why Iwata refuses to lay off staff.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived