Why Iwata refuses to lay off staff.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why Iwata refuses to lay off staff.

User Info: Seifer_us

Seifer_us
4 years ago#61
Inferno700 posted...
Although this is good news and speaks highly of Nintendo the fact that a Japanese company values it's employees is no surprise to me. The culture there is completely different from here in the US. Actually the culture around the globe is vastly different than what most think. In Japan employees are committed to a company and tend to have worked for 1 to 2 companies in their life. This is because the owners/management of these companies truly value their employees like family. Americans on the other hand change jobs on average every 3 to 5 years and see a company simply as a source of income. I can go on for a while about the cultural differences around the world but doubt this is the place. It is very interesting though.

Except that's not entirely true. Japan's high suicide rate is a direct result of a lot of people being underpaid and overworked. Some lucky places have that nice, cozy family atmosphere, but others are a hierarchical nightmare where people are afraid to express even their most mundane opinions for fear of reprisal. I know this firsthand because I work in a place like this (a daycare attached to a Buddhist temple). Your lifetime employment might be almost guaranteed, but only if you keep your mouth shut and don't "rock the boat."

All that said, some people have very nice employers, but it's just as rare here as it is in any other part of the world. Those people under Iwata should count themselves very lucky. Typical Japanese business culture is far removed from any of that dreamy idealism that you may see in movies or TV.
Official Noctis of the Kingdom Hearts III Board
PSN ID: Shawnji Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji

User Info: sonic777

sonic777
4 years ago#62
Spookyryu posted...
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/5/4496512/why-nintendos-satoru-iwata-refuses-to-lay-off-staff

Living proof at least one CEO is still capable of human feelings.

but trolls would say nooo they have to fire everyone because the poor sales

Said no one, troll or person, ever
<3 NINTENDO OMG

User Info: Faceman_

Faceman_
4 years ago#63
trenken posted...
lt519 posted...
We had rounds of layoffs at my company and let me tell you, productivity plummeted for a couple months. People get angry, upset, concerned and scared and the last thing they do is focus on work. And then they start looking for other jobs because a company that is laying people off is not in good shape. He's right, but you also can't support dead weight. They have the money to hold off, but not forever.

Thats the thing. Layoffs unfortunately are a necessary evil and have to happen from time to time. Business is always up and down. You beef up when business is good, when business plummets some have to be purged.

I was laid off one time in 2002, and walked out totally understanding why. It was either that or let the entire company go under and everyone lose their jobs.

I actually think this move by Iwata makes it look like he is not the best person to run Nintendo. Seriously, business isnt doing well so he wont lay people off because he doesnt want to upset them????????? So they have people on payroll that arent really needed. Thats smart. Thats money that could go into budgets for other games, but nope, they keep on dead weight then keep cutting corners with their games, banging out safe sequels like every NSMB game and 3D Land/World. Awesome. But hey, at least people ill never meet still have a job.

The only people who ever get laid off are lazy, incompetent and expendable. That's why you were laid off and everyone else wasn't. You were laid off for a reason. Pick one.

User Info: 95_Eclipse

95_Eclipse
4 years ago#64
50% paycut on himself? refuses to layoff people?

This actually makes me want to buy a Wii U. I hope they get it sorted and give me a reason to buy one. Maybe I'll go PS4/Wii U next gen instead of Ps4/XBO like I had been considering (Ps4 first, XBO much later)
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.

User Info: Neo_Heartless

Neo_Heartless
4 years ago#65
To be fair, the only reason Iwata had to say this was because you pretty much have the entirety of the video game press going "Well that WiiU had some bad sales, bet you're in financial trouble now eh eh eh?"

Which, admittedly, is a fair queston, but you don't see anyone asking Sony that while the Vita tanks. Instead we get "this month the Vita nearly sold more than the 3DS for what would have been the second time ever in its life, does this mean the WiiU is a failure?"

How does that even make sense as a story?
[Wubeth Intensifies]

User Info: 95_Eclipse

95_Eclipse
4 years ago#66
Neo_Heartless posted...
To be fair, the only reason Iwata had to say this was because you pretty much have the entirety of the video game press going "Well that WiiU had some bad sales, bet you're in financial trouble now eh eh eh?"

Which, admittedly, is a fair queston, but you don't see anyone asking Sony that while the Vita tanks. Instead we get "this month the Vita nearly sold more than the 3DS for what would have been the second time ever in its life, does this mean the WiiU is a failure?"

How does that even make sense as a story?

Lmao.

To be fair, Sony has had it's share of financial coverage.
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.

User Info: greywolf00

greywolf00
4 years ago#67
Sailor Goon posted...
jbhens posted...
Sailor Goon posted...
To be perfectly honest, I think it should be at the point where they should consider laying off people. The company is running itself into the ground, sales are horrible right now. Iwata couldnt make a good decision if his life depended on it. He's got the lowest approval rating right now.
No one likes laying off people, but its a necessary evil if you want your company to survive. You can't keep making excuses like "oh its not our fault at all, it's all the Yen's fault". They need to start taking some drastic measures.

You obviously know nothing about business. Actually, anyone in here that thinks layoffs are necessary have probably never worked a job and don't know what it's like out in the real world. Generally, layoffs hurt companies in the long run.

I was a business manager for 8 years. I think I know a little more than some teenager on Gamefaqs. How the hell do layoffs hurt companies? Employees are a companies biggest expenditure. If a company is in financial trouble, getting rid of employees greatly improves the financial situation.
Sure it sucks for the person getting laid off, but its sometimes a necessary evil.

This is the predominate American view on business. While I agree firings have a place in business, better to keep some employed than none, the idea that employees are an easily replaceable cog in a machine is not true in every industry (McDonald's, sure. Engineering firm, not so much). It does a company no good to get rid of experienced personnel when they lack qualified people to replace them unless they can be taught/learn quickly; which is rare considering how awful most training programs are and the ever present fear of "If I teach him and he's better I'll get fired." ie Colts got rid of Manning when they knew they'd be getting Luck/RG3, not when they'd be relying on Brady Quinn.

The success of a company is built by the employees. Employees who don't know what they're doing hurt the end product which impacts future business prospects. People who feel insecure in their jobs don't work harder, they do enough to get by and keep their heads down while hoping for something better. When an employee knows their boss will do everything to keep them employed they work harder. When people are compensated fairly and recognized for their contributions, they work harder. This has a positive effect on both productivity and quality which increases future business prospects. Do companies run like this generate the same levels of income? No, they have more expenses and often, smaller staffs. But, I've personally seen tons of these small business run by people who know what they're doing fare far better than their bigger, profit driven competitors during poor economic patches because of their reputation and product quality.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why Iwata refuses to lay off staff.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived