Wait, so uh... How is the Wii U selling?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Wait, so uh... How is the Wii U selling?

User Info: CranberryPSO

CranberryPSO
4 years ago#31
Something like Family Feud is going to record the show long before it actually goes on air. It could easily have been filmed around Chrismas time or so when the WiiU first came out. When it was irst released the WiiU sold great. It was after Christmas that its sales took a slide.

AstralFrost posted...
STN79 posted...
I happened to be watching Family fued the other night and a contestant on the show said he sells videogames for a living. The host asked him what's the hottest thing out right now and i kid you not he said the Wii U! Somebody must like it then huh?

Wow, where did he work? EB Games Australia has removed Wii U from their front page and put it on a separate tab with PS2, thats how hot they think it is right now.

I'm thinking the guy works for Nintendo because no shop owner is going to tell you that they have Wii U consoles as their hottest item.
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2

User Info: googler

googler
4 years ago#32
Its gradually gone from 30,000/week , then a few months later it was steady at 27K, and now it's been around 23~24k/week globally. You can telegraph where its going

User Info: NovaLevossida

NovaLevossida
4 years ago#33
Lvthn posted...
diggyfresh posted...
How come it's not selling? It's a great console for its price.

It's the most expensive console (including handhelds - yes including Vita) currently on the market. It has the smallest library of any console currently on the market. It has a mind numbingly dumb name that leads uninformed Joe Blow to believe it's a Wii accessory. It's maybe slightly better than PS3 in terms of hardware, though not by much, and many multiplats actually look worse on Wii U than PS3 or 360. VC just barely got launched and is still trying to get on its feet. The exclusives that have come out for it so far have largely ranged in public opinion from "it's kinda good" to "big meh."

If you have a Wii U and like it, that's great, I won't argue against it. But let's not pretend it's something it's not. As of this very moment, it's almost indisputably the worst console value.

What's even worse that it's even in the same price range as the PS4, and that's without a hard drive. You take that hard drive away from the PS4 and it could match the Wii U's price and beat it out in superior technology and online services. Sure, the Wii U's online is free, but when it's a question of are you ever going to get the DLC, how many months late will the DLC be, how come this downloadable title is out on every platform except the Wii U (Chronicles of Mystara being the recent one), and will this third party game even get a sequel on this system, suddenly PS Plus doesn't look that bad, before you factor in the free games:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/28/ps3s-instant-game-collection-one-year-64-free-games
Sig under construction.

User Info: CHAINMAILLEKID

CHAINMAILLEKID
4 years ago#34
NovaLevossida posted...
What's even worse that it's even in the same price range as the PS4

Oh No!
Two competing product in the same price range! Whatever shall we do?
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656

User Info: NovaLevossida

NovaLevossida
4 years ago#35
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
NovaLevossida posted...
What's even worse that it's even in the same price range as the PS4

Oh No!
Two competing product in the same price range! Whatever shall we do?

Well, you saved me the trouble of wondering if you were too far gone or not.
Sig under construction.

User Info: jillwarren

jillwarren
4 years ago#36
AstralFrost posted...
diggyfresh posted...

Its not great for its price at all. Its got hardly any first party games to offer and costs more than PS3 or 360 which play the same multiplats at similar performance levels and have significantly larger libraries. That leaves the Wii U with a small number of first party games and not a lot incoming. I'd love to hear your argument of what exactly makes the Wii U a great console for its price.

No problem. Talking about the Wii-U Deluxe model, I'll gladly tell you why I thought it was worth pre-ordering at its price.

1: Nintendo makes great first party games, and I want to play those games. NSMBU is a fantastic platformer and it is easily worth the price for me. Also, with the Deluxe I received Nintendoland. Nintendoland is a great game which offers a wide variety of minigames which I play with my wife and both of my kids. The new first party games announced are easily worth getting a new console for. I am excited about Pikimin 3, Wind Waker HD, SM3DW, Mario Kart 8, SSB, and X, and FOR ME that is a great line up of First Party titles over the next 2 years.

2: With the bundle I got 32 gigs of memory with the ability to hook up a portable hard drive, which my PS3s will not let me do, a charging cradle for the gamepad, which I find extremely convient, and a game, along with a $300 system. I consider that worth the extra $50.

3: It allows me to play every Wii game I have, along with every Wii-U game. This type of BC is severely lacking on every other system out there and the two announced systems as well. I don't consider buying new versions of last gen games digitally to be BC; those are new digital versions. I do consider being able to play the discs I have for one system on another one BC.

4: Third party games with gamepad functionality. Black Ops 2, Darksiders 2, Batman Arkham City, and Assassin's Creed 3 are good examples of games which are for all intensive purposes the same, except for the gamepad. Being able to quickly look at the map and switch equipment is worth a little hiccups. Being able to play the game completely on the gamepad is also great, and something that no other console offers at the same price. Playing split-screen Black ops with one TV, one gamepad, and online is great.

5: Third Party Exclusives. I can't play Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, SMT vs. FE, and Sonic Lost World on other systems.

I fail to see why this system is not worth the price unless you just hate Nintendo. It offers things you cannot get for the same price from any other console.
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.

User Info: chaos_sage0265

chaos_sage0265
4 years ago#37
jillwarren posted...
I fail to see why this system is not worth the price unless you just hate Nintendo. It offers things you cannot get for the same price from any other console.

It's not worth it to the vast majority because it currently offers a small amount of worthwhile exclusives. Most titles are currently out on other cheaper consoles, with well established online infrastructures that allow people to easily interact with friends and others.

People don't have to hate Nintendo for it to not be a worthwhile system to them, especially with the next generation consoles just around the corner.
"We will be remembered for this. White Wall."

User Info: AstralFrost

AstralFrost
4 years ago#38
jillwarren posted...
AstralFrost posted...
diggyfresh posted...

Its not great for its price at all. Its got hardly any first party games to offer and costs more than PS3 or 360 which play the same multiplats at similar performance levels and have significantly larger libraries. That leaves the Wii U with a small number of first party games and not a lot incoming. I'd love to hear your argument of what exactly makes the Wii U a great console for its price.

Your argument in summary was that the Wii U is good value for money because it plays Wii U games of which you mention one exclusive, is backwards compatible, has a 32 GB hard drive, has a gamepad, and has many unreleased games.

So you can now play a single exclusive on your gamepad while you gloat over your 32 GB hard drive and pray that the upcoming releases are worthwhile. Oh and you can play your old Wii games on it, nice. But you must have had a Wii already so we can't even count that for you.

With so few currently released exclusives your argument falls into a heap unfortunately. The only thing it has going for it is the gamepad which is of questionable value. When we strip out the fantasies like the hope of upcoming releases the Wii U simply isn't worth it right now for most people. Sure, maybe you think its value for money but trying to say its great value now because of unreleased games? I hope you don't work in marketing.

Value for money because of one exclusive, tiny hard drive, gamepad and unreleased games? No.

Doesn't mean you can't think so, but there's certainly not enough value for money for the average consumer or it would be selling well, which it isn't.
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself

User Info: Dr_Facer

Dr_Facer
4 years ago#39
jillwarren posted...
AstralFrost posted...
diggyfresh posted...

No problem. Talking about the Wii-U Deluxe model, I'll gladly tell you why I thought it was worth pre-ordering at its price.

1: Nintendo makes great first party games, and I want to play those games. NSMBU is a fantastic platformer and it is easily worth the price for me. Also, with the Deluxe I received Nintendoland. Nintendoland is a great game which offers a wide variety of minigames which I play with my wife and both of my kids. The new first party games announced are easily worth getting a new console for. I am excited about Pikimin 3, Wind Waker HD, SM3DW, Mario Kart 8, SSB, and X, and FOR ME that is a great line up of First Party titles over the next 2 years.

2: With the bundle I got 32 gigs of memory with the ability to hook up a portable hard drive, which my PS3s will not let me do, a charging cradle for the gamepad, which I find extremely convient, and a game, along with a $300 system. I consider that worth the extra $50.

3: It allows me to play every Wii game I have, along with every Wii-U game. This type of BC is severely lacking on every other system out there and the two announced systems as well. I don't consider buying new versions of last gen games digitally to be BC; those are new digital versions. I do consider being able to play the discs I have for one system on another one BC.

4: Third party games with gamepad functionality. Black Ops 2, Darksiders 2, Batman Arkham City, and Assassin's Creed 3 are good examples of games which are for all intensive purposes the same, except for the gamepad. Being able to quickly look at the map and switch equipment is worth a little hiccups. Being able to play the game completely on the gamepad is also great, and something that no other console offers at the same price. Playing split-screen Black ops with one TV, one gamepad, and online is great.

5: Third Party Exclusives. I can't play Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, SMT vs. FE, and Sonic Lost World on other systems.

1.- You're right about this. You'll still have to wait for months for that, though.

2.- Not a bad deal, but nothing to be excited about if you don't have the games to use it. So it's still months from being relevant.

3.- This is probably the best feature on the system and I bet a lot of the early adopters are using the U as a Wii substitute and will continue to do so for at least six more months.

4.- Subjective, I've tried the Wii U versions of the games you mentioned and in some of them (Black Ops and Arkham City) the use of the touchpad was intrusive to the gameplay in my opinion. Still not a stellar feature when it seems not even Nintendo knows what to do with it.

5.- And neither can you play the third party games released for other systems that can run next gen graphic engines while the U can't. And we still don't know if those exclusives will be worth it or not, though I do hope they are good, we can't be certain since they are not first party titles.

User Info: fire2box

fire2box
4 years ago#40
mikebrand83 posted...
Lvthn posted...
It's the most expensive console (including handhelds - yes including Vita) currently on the market.

Pffft... That's like arguing "Yes, this is the most expensive car (including compact cars) currently on the market."

except for the fact Wii U has simylar specs to that f PS3 and 360 then as PS4 and Xbone
Ivy bridge i5 3570k @3.40GHz | 8 GB DDR3 | single XFX 7870| OCZ 600W Modular. Nvidia, AMD, Intel for life!!
3DS FC: 2208-5221-4039
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Wait, so uh... How is the Wii U selling?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived